Stocking options?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I can't wait to see this tank Phoenixz. This thread has rated highly for vicarious pleasure! ;)

They look pretty boring in shop tanks, sort of pale amber. But once they've settled in, they'll colour up well and deserve their name of ember tetra.
That actually applies to most of the micro species (well all fish to some extent) in fish shop tanks.

They will also appear incredibly timid and nervous. In the wild they are food for pretty much everything going - so putting them into a bare display tank is especially stressful for them. When I bought my CPD they looked nothing like all the stunning pictures I found on the internet - it took several weeks before they did, and many more weeks before they would come out to greet me (or come out of hiding at all) when I walked into the room.

Wait, would it be possible to put CPD’s in the tank? Would that work @Byron, and @essjay? :)

I think I did suggest CPD in this 10g earlier in this thread (or another), and this is OK. You need a good sized group of these, and SF says minimum tank dimensions 45cm by 30cm which is just a tad wider (front to back) than a basic 10g. I would consider it. We still have not pinned down parameters though...GH and pH. We have been discussing several species that are quite fussy about these.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/celestichthys-margaritatus/

Thank you! :)

My ph is 7.4-7.6. :)

I still can’t find my waters GH, where do I look for this? :)

It could be on your water provider's website. You need a number and the unit rather than some vague words. If you can't find it, either ring them or take a sample of your tap water to an LFS and ask them to test for GH and KH. Make sure you get numbers from them.

They don't seem to give it, unfortunately. Not all providers do. I typed 'hardness' into the search box and it just said 'there are no matching results' The water quality report doesn't help either, that's just giving you the amounts of stuff they legally have to to test for.

The simplest would be to take some tap water to an LFS.

At the bottom there is a link to water quality report 2018. It shows total dissolved solids as 208 mg/l in March 2018. Don't know why it isn't a more recent report.The Louisville company is better at 159 mg/l.

Can you find out which one is your supllier?

Last edited:
9.3 gr per gall converts to 8.9 dH and 160 ppm. Not exactly hard, but too hard for a lot of soft water fish.
(I use this calculator https://www.cactus2000.de/uk/unit/masswas.php ) Assuming that is actually your water :)

That hardness is perfect for cpds (90 to 268 ppm) but not really for ember tetras, it's right at the top end of their range (18 to 179 ppm) and it is always better to keep fish in water round the middle of their range.
If your water is the first one Naughts listed, it's still fine for cpds but definitely not ember tetras.

Last edited:
I clicked some links in the site linked in post #100 and see this [I put the three of most interest to us in bold]:

Alkalinity (as CaCO3) - 58 mg/L
pH - 8.8 (SU)
Calcium (as Ca) - 25 mg/L
Magnesium (as Mg) - 10 mg/L
Sodium (as Na) - 19 mg/L
Sulfate - 47 mg/L
Bicarbonate (as CaCO3) - 57 mg/L
Chloride - 25 mg/L
Hardness (as CaCO3) - 102 mg/L (6.0 grains/gallon)
Data is an average of Crescent Hill and B.E. Payne Water Treatment Plants.

If this is your water, it is moderately soft at 102 ppm (ppm is the same as mg/l) or 5.6 dGH. This will work for most of the fish we have been discussing (soft water species, no livebearers). The Alkalinity is also known as KH (carbonate hardness); we can leave this for the present.

I am concerned over the pH of 8.8 though...they might be adding something to raise this. Take a small quantity of tap water and put it in a tight-sealing jar and shake it very briskly for a few minutes. Then test the pH and see if it is still around 8.8 or lower.

My ph, in my 10 gallon tank, is 7.6 right now, I just did a test. (With my API master test kit.:))

I don’t know my supplier, I am checking now...

So it seems my water is perfect for CPD’s, but not for Ember Tetras? :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back