Stocking options?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

And I do have plants in my tank, do I need to get a higher wattage bulb?

And how about CPD’s? They are small! :)

And even people on TFF have HR, and bettas in the same tank. @Fishmanic, I know that you have them, how is that working out? :)

We (several of us) already said your light is fine.

CPD's will work in this tank but only a group of CPD, not with a Betta or anything else (in fish). That was previously said too.

As for Harlequin Rasbora and Betta, this is a risk and it is simply not fair to the fish to risk it. Bettas are not community fish, everyone from Neale Monks down will tell you this. Assume a species will behave normally and not be an abnormal exception. You already said you only have the one tank for the danio, so what will you do if your Betta and Harlequins start having issues? Understand the needs and behaviours of a species and if you want to keep that species then provide accordingly. That is the only fair (to the fish) approach in this hobby.

I mentioned somewhere that an individual went over Niagara Falls the other day and survived; you cannot take that one exception as "proof" anyone can go over and not end up dead.

the any nano statement wasnt meaning to relate to what was previously mentioned just as a blanket statement of what would be comfortable. Probably should have made a distinction to that.

Nano fish seems to need explaining. This is not a scientific definition, just one you can generally use.

This term arose some years back when the nano tanks became popular. In most cases, nano fish species are those where the fish at maturity will remain very small, usually less than one inch (2.5 cm).

The only livebearers that fit this term are Endlers. The guppies, mollies, platies, and swordtails are all much larger, up to 5 and 6 inches for some of these species.

Most of the common tetras like neons and glowlights also get larger (or should). The Ember Tetra is a nano species. Among the rasboras, the species in Boraras are all nano, and there are a few others.

Fish slightly larger than "nano" size can sometimes work in small tanks, like a 10 gallon. It depends upon the species (their behaviours, activity level).

Here are the measurements...

Length: 20in.

Height: 11.5 in.

Width: 10 in.

With these measurements, will you be able to give me a good list of possible fish? :)

Water parameters are the following....

ph: 7.4-7.6

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

:)

I would relocate your danio or see if a Lfs will take it. Then, I would do 5 Neon Tetras and 5 glo light Tetras. Both are small enough for a 10G. If you are going to add the red cherry shrimp in that tank, then I would just do 6 Neon Tetras or 6 glow lights. They really need to be in groups of at least 6. I find the glo lights to be healthier than the neons. The shrimp won’t add much to the bio load but they will breed fast! You can then put your Malaysian trumpet snail and ramshorn in with your betta.

Last edited:
I have the API master test kit, how do I test GH? :)

If you are having RCS from Deanasue you probably wouldn't be looking for bottom dwellers though.
Go to your water company's webpage. It will have a report for GH (general hardness) so you know which species you should keep, I think corys like softer water.

And I probably won't put them all in the 10 gallon tank, I will split them between the 5 gallon, and the 10 gallon. :)

And I probably won't put them all in the 10 gallon tank, I will split them between the 5 gallon, and the 10 gallon. :)
I’d probably keep the shrimp in with the danio or Tetras. Not the betta.

Do you have a picture of the Tetras? Do you mean like, “glow fish”. :)

I thought we had sorted out the GH previously, but I cannot find it going back through this thread. GH is the general or total hardness of water, which is primarily the amount of dissolved calcium and magnesium in water. Once you know the GH of your source (tap) water you can expect it to remain much the same in the aquarium. It is not impacted by other factors to the extent pH is, so it remains relatively stable. You can increase it with calcareous substances such as rock that is calcareous (limestone, marble, dolomite, aragonite, shells, coral) or with a substrate composed of such substances. That is another huge topic of its own.

Your municipal water authority may have a website, with water data. Check that for GH. You need the number and the unit of measurement they use (there are several) so we/you will know exactly.

GH impacts fish more than pH generally speaking. Soft water species have difficulty in hard water, depending upon the level and the species; harder water species have difficulty in soft water.

Glofish is not what glowlight tetra refers to, and I would not consider glofish for a 10g. Glowlight tetra is the species Hemigrammus erythrozonus:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-erythrozonus/

Thank you for clearing that up. :)

So do you think neon tetras are a good choice?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back