Stocking advice on emergency tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lindat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My 300ltr tank cracked and is unrepairable. I have set up two small tanks using the media from the big tank. I have 3 juvenile discus and 12 Rummynose Tetra. They are all currently in a 57 ltr tank. All have survived in there since yesterday tea time. My other set up tank is about 30/35 ltr. I also have some room for the tetras in my community tank but I am currently dosing this daily with melafix as I have a fish in there with red spot. I don't know if it would be safe to put new fish in there. Also the temp is lower than the discus tank. Advice on how to stock would be gratefully received!

If I were to buy a second hand tank to house the 3 juvenile discus and 12 Rummynose together what should be the minimum size? This would be until I could afford a new big tank in about a month.

sorry to hear about the 300l.
I'm a bit confused as to what tanks you have available?
If you can get what you need in a month I see no benefit in getting a sub optimum tank now.
Check out Seriously fish species index for minimum tank size for the replacement.

sorry to hear about the 300l.
I'm a bit confused as to what tanks you have available?
If you can get what you need in a month I see no benefit in getting a sub optimum tank now.
Check out Seriously fish species index for minimum tank size for the replacement.
Hi Naughts. Sorry if I haven't explained myself properly. My fish that were in the 300litre tank (3 juvenile discus and 12 Rummynose Tetra) are now in a 57 litre tank that I had spare. I am worried that they will get stressed out in such a small space. Is this enough room for them all? If it isn't I could transfer some of them to a 30 litre tank that was spare and I have set up. Another alternative is to put some of the tetras in an established community 180 litre tank that has room but this is being treated with Melafix as there is a fish in there with red spot that looks as though it is improving. I didn't know if it was safe to put any new fish in there. Hope this clarifies things.

I agree, check seriouslyfish.com to find the minimum tank size. You don't want to make a mistake as big as this one.
(P.S. sorry to hear about your tank)

How big are the discus?
57 litres is pretty small but your tetras should be ok if its only for a month. Its the discus that will detemine if you can wait a month or not. Even if they are small yo probably still want to be doing daily water changes.

I agree, check seriouslyfish.com to find the minimum tank size. You don't want to make a mistake as big as this one.
(P.S. sorry to hear about your tank)
Any thoughts on the tank with the fish with red spot and being dosed with Melafix? Best not to add fish to it?

How big are the discus?
57 litres is pretty small but your tetras should be ok if its only for a month. Its the discus that will detemine if you can wait a month or not. Even if they are small yo probably still want to be doing daily water changes.
The Discus are about 2 - 2 1/2 inches in size. All fish are eating well today. I'm just going to check tank size now.

I agree that it's best not to add fish into a tank with sickness/ ongoing treatment. But if they're better soon you could move the tetra again to give the discus more room. Just do a big water change and add carbon to get rid of the medication first.

So you have:
1) broken 300 litre
2) 180 litre community with fish undergoing treatment
3) 57 litre housing the discus and rummies from the 300
4) 30 litre not in use
Is that correct?

What type of fish has red spots? Is it an individual or a group?
Just wondering if you could set up the 30 litre as a hospital tank? Then put the rummies in the 180

Do not put discus in cooler water, nor medicated water. Actually, same goes for the other species.

Temporary tanks can work fine, just keep the surface disturbance good to allow for a good exchange of Oxygen/CO2, feed sparingly, avoid any additives other than conditioner at water changes.

Do not put discus in cooler water, nor medicated water. Actually, same goes for the other species.

Temporary tanks can work fine, just keep the surface disturbance good to allow for a good exchange of Oxygen/CO2, feed sparingly, avoid any additives other than conditioner at water changes.
Thank you Byron. It was the Rummynose Tetra that I was wondering if could go in the Melafix 180 litre tank cos I know it's understocked. I wouldn't have put the Discus in there. But I won't chance it. The 57 litre tank that they're in has twin directable water outlets so there's good agitation of water. I was thinking should I halve the 12 Rummynose to put in the empty 30 litre tank or will they do better in a larger group?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back