Starting to get VERY irritated at this site now...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I havent seen any ads on the old PC. I do have a trio of ad blockers. The problem with the site at first not loading properly and then doing so after a reload seems to have gone away. Congrats on fixing that, I think.

I think actual members aren't targetted with ads. Most sites just throw them at guest visitors who don't log in.

If you search on a search engine (google for most people, duckduckgo for some ;) ) there are several hits for how to block ads on android phones.

If you search on a search engine (google for most people, duckduckgo for some ;) ) there are several hits for how to block ads on android phones.
I found this app on google play but I dont know if its working... I think it is... No ads

I use Firefox as my browser and have not seen what is described here. However, I access this site via a self built desktop system and a Microsoft Surface which would not be considered mobile devices although the Surface is borderline as to that.

I DO have a question though. Are the video ads seen within this site's browser window of popups that are outside of this site's display window?

Are the video ads seen within this site's browser window of popups that are outside of this site's display window?
I think you lost me here... lol

I just turned off Adblock for this site - Every little bit helps, on a PC so I can just ignore it.

I think you lost me here... lol
OK, sorry about that. There are more than one type of ads. Some that are shown due to the programming code of the site will normally be contained within the site's display. Others may have nothing to do with the site and will actually be what are called popup windows. If you can move the ads around they are more likely caused by other factors than the site itself.

Are the ads all fish related or do they seem more random? If more random it may tend to indicate that the ads are not actually coming from this site.

I don't use a cell phone or true tablet so I really can't test.

Are the ads all fish related or do they seem more random? If more random it may tend to indicate that the ads are not actually coming from this site.
Not fish related but they dont have to be in order to be from the site right? This could be how this site gets paid other than donations

Not fish related but they dont have to be in order to be from the site right? This could be how this site gets paid other than donations
Yes, that is possible but most, such as Google AdSense, will look at the site content and normally throw up ads that fit with the site. While not proof having ads that do not relate to the site would not be normal in most cases. For instance it would be normal to see ads for sump pumps through AdSense do to pumps being discussed here. However it would not be normal to see ads for such things as women's purses or pots/pans.

Another thing could be if you have any toolbars. Normally a toolbar will put a banner on your display for doing searches and such. These thing are bad for a couple of reasons...
1) The program code for such toolbars are usually pretty badly written causing your system to run slower as they are what is called resource hogs. That just boils down to the fact that they cut down the performance of your system.
2) They all call home. This means that they track everything you do; sites you visit, searches and such. They report all this data back to the outfit that put out the toolbar so they can target ads to you that relate to your browsing habits.

I would suggest using Firefox a the browser of choice as it is pretty much the same for Windows, Android and IOS with all having ad block features.

I just turned off Adblock for this site - Every little bit helps, on a PC so I can just ignore it.
I would not turn of adblock as it actually helps performance due to system resources not being eaten up by videos and such.

Obvious next question would be if I'm qualified to give such advice as the above. Basic answer is that I have two self built desktop systems, a laptop, A Microsoft Surface and an Apple MacBook. I also have a total of 5 awards from Microsoft... Here is my favorite.

IMG_2248.JPG

I'm ok with ads, its how sites can make money and do better BUT latwly there have been video ads that pop up in the cornwr of the screen which isnt so bad on a computer but when using a tablet or phone (what I usually use), it covers up what I'm typing (it has already happened multiple times while typing this) and then I try to hit the X but it takes me to sime random site... You guys have to stop with those ads. I'm ok with all the other ones but these just are soooo irritating and make me mad while typing and viewing threads
MINES BEEN DOING THAT TOO.

Ah man... Sorry Olive. I have been using an ad blocker I found but I am unsure if it works yet... I will tell you if it works later... You do get notified when it blocks something which is irritating but its less irritating than the ads... I still don't know how well it blocks stuff but I will definitely link it to you if you want to try it without waiting for a progress update.
MINES BEEN DOING THAT TOO.

I save this site to my home screen so when i tap into it, its a but different, I dont have browser settings, just your site screen covering the phone which I love. It feels like an app
What mobile browser are you using?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back