Starting new tank with established water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Eridinus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Iā€™ve just set up a 180 litre tank, and I used about 25 litres of well established tank water.

The tank took a while to heat up to 24 degrees Celsius (overnight).

Iā€™ve added safe start bacteria, as well as tap safe and added some fish food for ammonia. I also placed 3 moss balls from
The old tank and 2 big media sponges.

How long do you think this tank will take to cycle? Will the existing bacteria have died in the colder water?

(Also, do you think I can use a single cherry shrimp as a canary to see if it lives?)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but beneficial bacteria is not in the tank water. Moving water over is of no benefit. The good bacteria adheres to filter media, substrate, and decor. The Safe Start will help and you should have a cycled tank in about 7 - 14 days. If you have some used filter media or gravel that you can move over, that will help too. Test your water daily and you wonā€™t need a canary. Good luck!

Sorry, but beneficial bacteria is not in the water. It is in the filter media, or the substrate. When I start up a new tank I usually just transfer over some media or some of my substrate

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back