Starting again 2

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

zerothemouse said:
Hi Everyone,

Just FYI. It wont help you much David but for anyone else reading this thread. If you left the tank empty of fish for about two weeks that would kill any ich left in the tank. Ich will not live very long without a host.

mouse
It's going to be left empty for a while anyway. I will wait several weeks before getting any fish. The reason I had to start again was cause i have had ick for a while, and not only one fish had it but all of them with the exception of the betta I am keeping. And it would not go away. So I guess this is the only solution short of a UV sterilizer, which I do not have the money for at the moment. Thanks luxum, but I think I'll go with the congo tetras as I have wanted some for a while and now I have a chance. Anyone got any experience with them? Heres what I plan:

5 juvie angels (will be added first, after fishless cycle, then will wait for 2 pairs to form and return remaining angel to LFS)
9 panda cories (will be added a week or so after the angels, in increments of 3)
3 yoyo loaches (added with the first set of panda cories)
1 dwarf gourami (added at the same time as the last set of pandas)
2 blue rams (added one week later)
and finally the 6 congo tetras which I will add a week after the rams to complete my set up.

See any flaws in my plan? Please say so. Remember the tank will already be cycled at that point so there won't be any trouble with adding the fish too fast, will there?

David said:
Remember the tank will already be cycled at that point so there won't be any trouble with adding the fish too fast, will there?
Actually, there will be. Your tank will be cycled to the amount of ammonia you add. As soon as you add fish, that ammonia level goes up, and new bacteria need time to multiply to keep up with their food source. If you add too many fish at once, the system will overload, not have enough time to propagate the right bacteria level, and your tank will go through a mini-cycle. It's a 46g, right? I wouldn't add more then 4-6 fish at any time, and moniter levels for a wek or two before adding any more fish. Then add another 4-6....you get the picture.

cation said:
David said:
Remember the tank will already be cycled at that point so there won't be any trouble with adding the fish too fast, will there?
Actually, there will be. Your tank will be cycled to the amount of ammonia you add. As soon as you add fish, that ammonia level goes up, and new bacteria need time to multiply to keep up with their food source. If you add too many fish at once, the system will overload, not have enough time to propagate the right bacteria level, and your tank will go through a mini-cycle. It's a 46g, right? I wouldn't add more then 4-6 fish at any time, and moniter levels for a wek or two before adding any more fish. Then add another 4-6....you get the picture.
Yeah I know, that's why in my plan I will add the panda cories in increments of 3 instead of all 9 at once. What I meant was, will there be any problems with how I'm planning to add my fish.

I think your plan looks good, especially since you're adding juvie angels. Definitely good to add the rams after the angels :) I would do the cories in a group of 4 and another group of 5 - very low waste producers.

Alright I'll do that. If I can't find any congos in my area I guess I'll have to go with some other small characin, like black neons or harlequin rasboras. Hmmmm....

David said:
Alright I'll do that. If I can't find any congos in my area I guess I'll have to go with some other small characin, like black neons or harlequin rasboras. Hmmmm....
Or you could go with the Dwarf Rainbows - they are really nice.

parker313 said:
David said:
Or you could go with the Dwarf Rainbows - they are really nice.
I haven't seen those, what do they look like?

M. praecox

melanotaenia_praecox3.jpg

Ooooh... pretty. If I can find them I'll get some. Are they rare? Are they prone to becoming demonically evil like yours did Kristin? :p Cause I'm not sure if I want my angels mutilated, thank you very much.

EDIT: Also how is the mini reef coming?

They are not rear, but around here kinda expensive at times.

I saw the for 3 for 20, but 1 lfs had them for 12.95 a piece.

Dont get wrong, they are very beautiful is a shoal.

David said:
Ooooh... pretty. If I can find them I'll get some. Are they rare? Are they prone to becoming demonically evil like yours did Kristin? :p Cause I'm not sure if I want my angels mutilated, thank you very much.

:lol:

If you get the right numbers of them as luxum recommended (at least 6 with the right numbers of males and females) then they aren't demons at all, they are very peacful schooling community fish. My problem was partly that female Boesemani rainbows aren't usually found in lfs b/c they're MUCH more drab than the males :/ Plus I had 3 each of 2 different kinds :/

The nano reef is coming along :thumbs: Just sand and live rock in there now. I'm waiting for the ammonia spike to come and leave and then I'll get my first fish - an ocellaris clown - the middle of this month :)

parker313 said:
David said:

:lol:

If you get the right numbers of them as luxum recommended (at least 6 with the right numbers of males and females) then they aren't demons at all, they are very peacful schooling community fish. My problem was partly that female Boesemani rainbows aren't usually found in lfs b/c they're MUCH more drab than the males :/ Plus I had 3 each of 2 different kinds :/
So what is the right number of males and females? Just out of curiosity, as I don't really want them that much. I am starting to think about some kind of danio, as I have never had them and hear they are very hardy and I think they are cool. What kind should I get, zebra, leopard, pearl, or giant? I like the giant danios but they get rather big so I dunno...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back