Starting again 2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yup. Maybe I could add some xebras towards the end of cycle, while nitrites are decreasing?

David said:
Yup. Maybe I could add some xebras towards the end of cycle, while nitrites are decreasing?
No you cannot because you will still be adding ammonia, you dont want to expose the fish to that.

Also forgot to mention... I found a single baby platy in the tank while dismantling it, supposedly from my pregnant female... I guess I won't have all egglayers after all. What should I do with it? Will it infect my other fish? (Currently it's in a bowl, don't worry I'm not keeping it in the tank during fishless cycle!)

Hi Everyone,

Depends on whether you want a baby platy or not. I would not use any gravel and try to dump as much of the water in the bowl as you can daily. 100% would be best. If you use a net to remove fish while your changing water make sure that it does not come in contact with equipment that you use on your tank. You could also use medication after each water change. If the fish is not infected now, it is likely that your safe and you don't need to do anything.

mouse

Haven't posetd on this thread for a while. Well, the cycle is finally complete, and I am finally ready to add my first fish. :D I will be going tomorrow afternoon. I have decided to scrap my original plan for smaller peaceful community fish. I want to have 4 juvie angels, 3 pictus cats (which is mainly why I must remove the yoyo loaches and cories from the plan), and a BGK, which I understand grow extremely slowly so there would be no problem in a tank this size. Now I'm wondering if BGK are particularly sensitive or difficult to take care of. Any info on basic care? Also which fish should I add first (tomorrow)?

What are your new tank stats? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH?

out of them pictus cats would be your best bet as angels can be picky, we have a separate net for them at work.

cation said:
What are your new tank stats? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH?
By cycled I mean 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. Don't worry, the water is fine. And Paul, I don't think angels are picky at all. I found them very hardy and a good choice for beginners. My first pair lived for a year in my 10 gallon tank before I gave them away.

Any info on the BGK yet? Or should I post in oddball?

cation said:
Do you have any nitrates yet?
I don't have a testing kit for nitrates but I don't really bother about them due to their minimal toxicity and the fact that i do not plan on keeping any extremely sensitive fish.

BGK are sensitive. Also, your tank is not cycled until you have nitrates present. But do whatever you want.

David said:
Now I'm wondering if BGK are particularly sensitive or difficult to take care of. Any info on basic care?
You can always check the fish index, that's what it's there for...

Basic BGK Info

cation said:
David said:
Now I'm wondering if BGK are particularly sensitive or difficult to take care of. Any info on basic care?
You can always check the fish index, that's what it's there for...

Basic BGK Info
Ok thanks. I won't get the BGK right away, at least not for several months until I am sure my tank is stable. I am sure nitrates are persent as nitrites and ammonia are both zero.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back