Starting 5 gallon betta fish planted tank, I have questions!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would say, let it settle and then siphon the substrate. It'll get all the yuckies out :)

Hey all, so it’s been ab a week the plants are planted, but they aren’t doing so well, should I replant them differently or whatever? Thanks

Attachments

• C9D32573-017F-4F3C-8141-6B14F1EFD82A.jpeg
    C9D32573-017F-4F3C-8141-6B14F1EFD82A.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 44
  • 2003F3E4-F7BC-4F19-823E-E9F186984E31.jpeg
    2003F3E4-F7BC-4F19-823E-E9F186984E31.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 35
There is a problem, we need to sort out just what.

Can you provide data on the light? It's probably LED so I won't have much to say regarding intensity, but the spectrum and duration are key. Is therer a spectrum number like Kelvin or CRI? And how long a period each day is the light on?

Second thing is nutrients. Fluval Stratum is not something I have used, as I generally have no use for so-called plant substrates. But this one is said to lower pH. What is the pH of the tank water? And what is the pH of the tap water (remember to out-gas CO2 from the tap water before testing pH).

Are you using any liquid fertilizers, and if yes, which one(s)?

Hello :)
Most plants for aquarium are grown soil-less so it would take them some time to adapt.

Thanks for the advice! I want to do a planted tank, I can’t do co2 injections, so limited hardy plants but I’m looking at floating plants and a beautiful ground cover. As for the fish, I’m trying hard not to rush and buy a fish too early, as I did this before, and it was not good for the fish, he lived only 2 weeks, as I didn’t cycle the tank before putting him in. However I’m planning on naming the betta Jeremy, as it’s just a funny name to me! Also, since I’m planning to do a planted tank, I’m getting quite mixed response, if I should cycle the tank, or if the plants are growing well, then forgo the cycling. What’s your option on this?
use hairgrass

When you will have solved plant issues, add some floattings, your Betta will love it !

Hey all, so it’s been ab a week the plants are planted, but they aren’t doing so well, should I replant them differently or whatever? Thanks
There's substrate on top of the leaves of the plant on the right, manually clean up the tank, use your hands to remove the substrate from the leaves, and to gently wipe off any diatom algae.

Make sure the plants are not planted too deep either, as I suspect the swords on the right are. The new plant leaves emerge from the crown of the plant. It looks as though the crown is buried in that second photo, so gently pull the plant upwards, so only the roots are below the surface of the substrate. Same for any other plants, they need to be planted, but the actual plant part not too deep in the soil.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back