Starting 5 gallon betta fish planted tank, I have questions!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You said you were going to plant it, so plant it now 30-50% of its volume in live plants. Have you got your filter running, if not switch it on as well.
First he needs to know what kind of cycle he is doing before just planting his tank. If he does a fishless cycle using ammonia (like I'm doing) he can't plant it YET but will after the cycle. If he is doing fish in (only experts should do this) or a silent cycle, then he can plant it.

First he needs to know what kind of cycle he is doing before just planting his tank. If he does a fishless cycle using ammonia (like I'm doing) he can't plant it YET but will after the cycle. If he is doing fish in (only experts should do this) or a silent cycle, then he can plant it.
Since I don't understand this stuff still. Can you please explain to us why you want to put Ammonia in your tank considering that is about the most toxic thing to fish.

Since I don't understand this stuff still. Can you please explain to us why you want to put Ammonia in your tank considering that is about the most toxic thing to fish.
Fishless cycling is the use of ammonia (what fish produce when they pee, poop, and breathe) to build up the bb (beneficial bacteria) the bb will soon multiply because they are feeding off the ammonia. So basically you are building up the bacteria to eat the ammonia the fish produce that way the tank can handle a complete bio-load

@kateh very probably a bacterian bloom, happens often at aquarium start. Let it run on its own ;)
Also check what fluval stratum substrate instructions are, sometimes it is recommended to waterchange with some "complete" commercial soils.

Have you tested ammonia and such yet? as I've heard that those plant substrates cause an ammonia spike in themselves

There are some stickies in the tank cycling section of the forum that give instructions about the different ways of cycling, but if you have have actively growing plants, you are probably mostly done with a silent cycle. Until you know the tank is stable you might want to test a lot; but a Betta won't make much mess unless you overfeed him.

Ok good to know. I do not currently have the plants I’m planning to add, they come on Friday, this is the substrate I am using. Should I change the water or let it settle more? I rinsed it in a colander and a bucket 3 times but it never got any less murky, so I gave up, put it in the tank and filled it up. Any tips?

Attachments

• 1134D4D0-E4B0-4B49-AF2E-19390A1369B9.jpeg
    1134D4D0-E4B0-4B49-AF2E-19390A1369B9.jpeg
    255.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DEE7FDB6-575A-4043-8536-2644BD830651.jpeg
    DEE7FDB6-575A-4043-8536-2644BD830651.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 19
Ok good to know. I do not currently have the plants I’m planning to add, they come on Friday, this is the substrate I am using. Should I change the water or let it settle more? I rinsed it in a colander and a bucket 3 times but it never got any less murky, so I gave up, put it in the tank and filled it up. Any tips?
Well, since your plants are coming Friday I hope you have plans to do a different kind of cycle than an ammonia fishless cycle

If I were you, and I would do a major water change. Avoid messing up the substrate. Drain the water down to the substrate, then refill with straight tap water but use a bowl so the water runs into that and slowly over the sides, as this avoids stirring up the substrate. If the cloudiness is partly or totally due to the substrate material, this should avoid severe cloudiness. This might also be due to a bacterial bloom.

When the plants arrive, if you have any that will be rooted in the substrate, drain the tank about half way, and plant it. Arrange the decor. When you have this done, then drain the tank down to the substrate and refill with tap water, again using a bowl to avoid stirring things up. The planting obviously will do this, hence the full drain/refill when finished. Connect heater and filter (have the tap water at the desired temperature to avoid over-using the heater which can cause them to fail).

The cloudiness should be less with all the above, but still likely, especially a bacterial bloom. Leave things alone and once the plants are showing signs of growth, you will be able to add the Betta. There is no other "cycling" needed.

Is this soil one of those that need waterchanges usually twice a week during 4-5 first weeks ?

Thank you for the advice! This is just what I needed. The plants actually are arriving today due to quick shipping, so should I just drain the tank half full, plant, then do a full water change?

Thank you for the advice! This is just what I needed. The plants actually are arriving today due to quick shipping, so should I just drain the tank half full, plant, then do a full water change?
You can plant in just substrate with no water but make sure to fill it soon. Dont put the water in rigjt on the plants or substrate... Get a bag or something and use it as a "cushion" for the water.

Hey quick update, just planted everything and starting adding the water, but it is still quite cloudy how do I fix it. To add the water I poured it over the wood so it didn’t stir up extra dust but still Uber cloudy what should I do

everything right now.
So so true. I think it may stem from desiring more soulfull fulfillment in our lives, philosophically speaking, and looking anxiously on the outside to find it. We’ll be happy if we get that next cool thing, be it a beautiful car or a beautiful fish. Hey it’s okay, but what a tremendous gift fish are. Their gracefulness and beauty. Taking things more slowly, with honor and care just might bring the fulfillment we’re looking for.

Hey quick update, just planted everything and starting adding the water, but it is still quite cloudy how do I fix it. To add the water I poured it over the wood so it didn’t stir up extra dust but still Uber cloudy what should I do
Hey :)
Could you please answer my post #69 ?

A bacterial bloom is normal in new tanks. Of course, there is always the possibility that this substrate material is just plain messy. Either should clear.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back