Starting 5 gallon betta fish planted tank, I have questions!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kateh

Reaction score
Hi there! I am looking to make a five gallon planted betta tank, preferably as quick as possible, as it’s for a special occasion, and I just have some questions. I have been doing research and watching as many YouTube tutorials as possible but I could still use some help. Some of my questions are, how long do I wait to add the fish, how do I cycle the tank, do I need to cycle the tank before the fish is added, and can I “skip” cycling the tank, by getting a already cycled filter. Also some possible tank mates would be great! Feel free to correct me if my knowledge is wrong, YouTube isn’t the best resource 🤷‍♀️

Hi kateh,
Bettas are fun! Yeah, so what I would do is set your fish tank up, with the filter running and everything. If you already have an established fish tank you can take some of the filter material from that tank and put it in your new tanks filter, that will help speed up the cycle. I would not skip the cycling because if you are not an expert in it, most likely it will be cruel to the fish and the fish may even die. You can also add some fish food to the tank every once in a while to make it safer for the fish. To make sure it is safe for a fish I would buy a liquid water test kit from a local fish store. Refrain from the test strips, even though they are cheaper they are less accurate. I would then test the water and make sure amonias, nitrates, and nitrates are all at 0 ppm. Then you can add your fish, to make the water even safer for your fish you can add some water plants as well. And yes, bettas can have tank mates, just not bettas or other fish with long colorful fins. But keep in mind every betta is different! They have personalities like dogs, some will want tank mates and some will kill everything. Snails are always a safe option though (sometimes the bettas will bite at the snails eyes so keep an eye out for that). Another tip to speed up the cycle is keep the water warmer with a heater, like 82*, also bettas need water that temp as well anyways. So I would estimate 2-3 weeks to cycle, but it is the test kit that will truly decide. Hope this works out for you!!!

hornwort is a great plant for betta tanks imo. you should wait about 1 month to cycle the tank but if you get quickstart you can cycle it faster. dont get any other fish as tankmates, but shrimp and snails would be good.

I have an exact set up ,for tankmates I recommend corydoras they are the best and plant I have a anubias barteri which is a my bettas bed

Attachments

• 47A0307E-BA39-404A-8319-813D7C196B64.jpeg
    47A0307E-BA39-404A-8319-813D7C196B64.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 51
I have an exact set up ,for tankmates I recommend corydoras they are the best and plant I have a anubias barteri which is a my bettas bed
But no cories in a 5g... Especially with the betta. See, cories need at LEAST 4-5 of them to stay happy and a 5 gallon is just too small. But then if you have he betta in with the cories IN A 5G the betta may become territorial, and 4-5 cories in with a betta in a 5g is overstocking. I do not recommend cories with a betta in that small of a tank. I would do that in MAYBE a 10 gallon but I would do a 20 (if you wanted cories)

Male bettas are not community fish and are best on their own. It is natural for them. And a 5g tank is minimum for a betta, but certainly not any other fish.

As for cycling, if you can get live plants growing, especially floating plants which frankly the betta needs anyway, you can forget cycling. One betta in a 5g tank with live floating plants will never have issues over ammonia or nitrite. This is thee easiest and safest method.

Great thank you all for the helpful advice, would a ghost shrimp or a cherry shrimp, or a dwarf crayfish work? Is there any tips to cycle the tank quicker, like the warmer water you suggested and the QuickStart? Also two more questions, should I cycle the tank, then add the beta and plants, or cycle with plants then add beta ect. And when do I know the tank is properly cycled! I am ordering the tank today, it will be here soon, and I am also buying the water test kit as suggested. So I will update y’all when I set up the “first” part of the tank, and test my water parameters. Thanks for sticking with me!

Hello :)
how long do I wait to add the fish
4-5 weeks.

how do I cycle the tank
With a jungle of plants as Betta will feel well and secured.

do I need to cycle the tank before the fish is added,
OF COURSE !

can I “skip” cycling the tank, by getting a already cycled filter
Little risky.

Also some possible tank mates would be great
No, Betta wants to reign alone on his kingdom.

Also Betta requires :
pH 6-7 maximum
GH and KH below 8
Temp. 25°C
Rather dim light
Slow current.
Jungle vegetation including floating plants.
High protein food (50%) and live food.
I know what I mean, I kept mine 7 years.

Great thank you all for the helpful advice, would a ghost shrimp or a cherry shrimp, or a dwarf crayfish work? Is there any tips to cycle the tank quicker, like the warmer water you suggested and the QuickStart? Also two more questions, should I cycle the tank, then add the beta and plants, or cycle with plants then add beta ect. And when do I know the tank is properly cycled! I am ordering the tank today, it will be here soon, and I am also buying the water test kit as suggested. So I will update y’all when I set up the “first” part of the tank, and test my water parameters. Thanks for sticking with me!

Once you have live plants, esp the floating ones, and they are obviously growing (this will be noticeable in a few days with floating plants) you are set to go. You can still use the QuickStart, doesn't matter. Plants ned ammonia/ammonium as their nitrogen, and floaters take it up rapidly.

Forget the crayfish, not in with fish. Shrimp can be OK, some may get eaten.

Once you have live plants, esp the floating ones, and they are obviously growing (this will be noticeable in a few days with floating plants) you are set to go. You can still use the QuickStart, doesn't matter. Plants ned ammonia/ammonium as their nitrogen, and floaters take it up rapidly.

Forget the crayfish, not in with fish. Shrimp can be OK, some may get eaten.
Great! I will probably be getting a ghost shrimp, and if it works out great! Would you recommend adding beneficial bacteria! How long should I be running the filter?

Last edited:
Crayfish can be aggressive as territorial, so no.
Neocaridina "cherry" davidi shrimp and every shrimp under 3 cm may be eaten at early age. Also shrimps are gregarious and wate to live in group of at least 6 specimens.

Hi there! I am looking to make a five gallon planted betta tank, preferably as quick as possible, as it’s for a special occasion, and I just have some questions. I have been doing research and watching as many YouTube tutorials as possible but I could still use some help. Some of my questions are, how long do I wait to add the fish, how do I cycle the tank, do I need to cycle the tank before the fish is added, and can I “skip” cycling the tank, by getting a already cycled filter. Also some possible tank mates would be great! Feel free to correct me if my knowledge is wrong, YouTube isn’t the best resource 🤷‍♀️
I am not even going to read the other threads because I just want to type this out. Bettas are so fun!

Cycling:
Cycling for a small tank like that will not take long at all. Here is a great resource for cycling: How to Cycle a Tank.

Yes, cycle the tank before you add fish.
Yes! You can skip cycling completely if you use old biomedia in your filter as it will already have the bacteria you need for a healthy tank.

Questions I have for you:
What betta did you get?
What is his name?
Do you have any live plants (this will help with overall health of the tank)?

Congrats on your new friend!

I am not even going to read the other threads because I just want to type this out. Bettas are so fun!

Cycling:
Cycling for a small tank like that will not take long at all. Here is a great resource for cycling: How to Cycle a Tank.

Yes, cycle the tank before you add fish.
Yes! You can skip cycling completely if you use old biomedia in your filter as it will already have the bacteria you need for a healthy tank.

Questions I have for you:
What betta did you get?
What is his name?
Do you have any live plants (this will help with overall health of the tank)?

Congrats on your new friend!
Thanks for the advice! I want to do a planted tank, I can’t do co2 injections, so limited hardy plants but I’m looking at floating plants and a beautiful ground cover. As for the fish, I’m trying hard not to rush and buy a fish too early, as I did this before, and it was not good for the fish, he lived only 2 weeks, as I didn’t cycle the tank before putting him in. However I’m planning on naming the betta Jeremy, as it’s just a funny name to me! Also, since I’m planning to do a planted tank, I’m getting quite mixed response, if I should cycle the tank, or if the plants are growing well, then forgo the cycling. What’s your option on this?

Crayfish can be aggressive as territorial, so no.
Neocaridina "cherry" davidi shrimp and every shrimp under 3 cm may be eaten at early age. Also shrimps are gregarious and wate to live in group of at least 6 specimens.
Ok good to know! If I get a fully grown ghost/cherry shrimp would that be alright?

Hello :)

4-5 weeks.

With a jungle of plants as Betta will feel well and secured.

OF COURSE !

Little risky.

No, Betta wants to reign alone on his kingdom.

Also Betta requires :
pH 6-7 maximum
GH and KH below 8
Temp. 25°C
Rather dim light
Slow current.
Jungle vegetation including floating plants.
High protein food (50%) and live food.
I know what I mean, I kept mine 7 years.
Thanks for the advice! I used to feed my old one freeze dried bloodworms as a treat, but no live food, what do u feed yours? Also what food do you recommend?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back