Some fish keepers are stupid

jacblades said:
AaronD said:
i can understand everyones point of view on the moderator posting this. It must be very fustrating. I just think that a mod is supposed to keep law and order in such volatile places like 'internet forums'  :)  and this kind of thread does quite the opposite    :S
[snapback]912599[/snapback]​

i dont understand why the thread does the opposite.
i think cfc was posting this in response to the many "the lfs is so stupid" threads.

i remember at ime when the betta section was full of "i went to walmart today and it was awful" posts. wuv took a stand and now there is a rule against them.

but anyways, how is this thread violent or unlawful or [insert other adjective here]?
i see no reason for a mod to step into this thread.
[snapback]912606[/snapback]​

erm, im not sure why you are suggesting that i suggested the thread is viloent or unlawful? i dont recall anything as such? do you not see that people are posting messages of fustration and anger? i personally believe a moderator should prevent these kind of threads, not make them

im not sure where the confusion lies? or are you trying to twist my words or feel you have to? i tried to finish off my rant politely, yet you still want to dispute my opinion?

Aaron, the longer you are here, the better you'll be able to "read" certain folks here. But remember, you are entitled to your opinions and your impressions, no matter how long you've been here. You don't have to agree with everyone, and they don't have to agree with you. Don't be afraid to express your opinion. But really, overall, this is a pretty darn friendly forum. You can post a "silly" question like "What's a water change?" without 20 people jumping all over calling you stupid and running you out of the forum with their torches and pitchforks (we were all newbies once, many of us had no clue how to do a water change or get that darn gravel vac to actually work...). And CFC, well, he may not always be the most subtle in his ways, he may not always hold his tongue, but he knows his stuff and moderates with a fair hand. Everyone may not always agree with him on everything, but its that kind of forum diversity that keeps this place interesting. He is just one of many that have been around a while and still try their best to help everyone, newbies included, but get very frustrated when that newbie, after being given sound advice and even returns some fish, just goes out and buys even bigger fish to replace them or shoots back with something like "well, its my tank and I like it this way" even though half the fish are dead or dying. He's just expressing his opinion and voicing the frustration that so many feel here when they're just trying to help.

So many people here DO take the time to help newbies. I'm amazed some days at the patience I see some people have. I'd lose it myself sometimes. But you see those same folks helping newbies step by step, over and over again. Now and again, there's always some newbie that thinks they're right, and even though they asked for advice, decide not take it. Its tough to not be a human being and just erupt in frustration and concern for the fish. Also, its not always newbies, which can be even more frustrating.

I'm in agreement with Tokis here though. Its the whole image of fishkeeping. More and more people today are starting to view dogs and cats as more than just pets, as members of the family, so they are starting to research more, and try to make an informed decision before they bring home a new pet. This sort of view is still in its infancy, many still see dogs and cats as outdoor home guards and mousers. That image will take time to change. So will that of fish keeping being more than just buying a bowl, a goldfish, some flakes, and adding water. But it takes educating people on this. This is something that will take time. The chain petstores are not always the most reliable sources for fish informatino, but they're getting better, and for many, they are the only "live person" source available to them. I just saw a flyer in my local Petsmart the other day about New Tank Syndrome and the Nitrogen Cycle/Cycling Your Tank. I also saw the clerk recommending fish for the tank, but telling them to get it set up, to read those documents, and to bring the water in for testing before buying fish. Not perfect yet, but its a start. As members of the fish keepig community, its up to us to spread the word about proper fish keeping. Working at fish shops, or even just talking to management and suggesting they offer some additional information for customers so they can make informed decisions. Speaking up when you see/hear someone getting less than accurate advice at a shop. Or digging up that TFF business card thread, printing some out and handing them out when you are at the lfs or asking that some be available for folks to take in the fish department or at the registers, so folks can stop in here and get some sound advice.

Until then, we'll continue to see folks come here that have been misguided by the lfs. They'll rant and rave because thats what people do. They'll balk at our advice because no one likes to be told they're wrong. Those that really want to continue in this hobby will stop, take a breath, and finally decide to listen. Those that won't, well, we tried at least. Its frustrating, but at least you gave your best effort and tried to help them. Don't hate them for being misdirected, for not viewing this as a true hobby and therefore for not researching it. Just channel that frustration, vent it by helping those that you can. Use it as a reminder of where this hobby came from and where its future is.

Okay, I'm done being all philosophical now, stepping off soapbox. Carry on.

I think your right mostly... yes we are the ones that should know better and it is not the employees fault he or she was employed afterall! BUT I do believe employees should have a general knowledge cos many people walk in, see a pet they like, buy it and walk out without a clue about the thing they bought. People can do the silliest of things. At the end of the day it is the pet that suffers so this should not be allowed to happen but the sad fact is that it does. If your experienced you should research the fish you want to buy before you buy it but some people believe all they have to do is stick it in some water and it will live. We all know this is not true but the unexperienced don't. This results in animal cruelty. However if the employees did know anything about fish keeping they would be able to tell if somebody was just buying a pretty fish for their 4 year old kid.
Phew!!! :D

[/quote]

I've been a fishkeeper for less than a year, but it really bugs me when people say "I've just come back from the LFS, can you ID this fish please" or "give me more details on these fish!". If you were truly interested in a happy, healthy tank, and not just something that looks like colourful furniture, you'd surely research fish before you buy them? I can't believe people risk putting unknown fish into their home aquaria...

To blame LFS workers is irrelevant to the greater matter really. People should know all about their fish, and with books and the internet so readily available these days, there should almost be no need to to ask the LFS worker (who is a salesman remember). Sure, trusted LFS advice is superb, but if you can get advice from the internet and a book beforehand, surely you're halfway towards being a decent fishkeeper.

Just my 2 cents.
[snapback]912568[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Agreed. It's very easy to blame someone else for our own mistakes and/or lack of knowledge.

Your absolutely right cfc. And the best part is, even though books are readily available they're "too epensive." So that makes it ok for people to torture and kill fish or other animals with their ignorance. But it wasn't too expensive to buy that gas guzzling, pollution producing suv despite the fact that only one person uses it and nothing is ever hauled in it. And beleive me, there are actually people who pull up to my store in hummers and complain that something that their pet needs is too expensive.

Businesses should know what they're selling.........people should know what they're buying.......I should be a millionaire.......... :dunno:

i'd just like to point out that the attitude of "all LFS workers are stupid/greedy/liars/etc" is held by more people than just newbies.

i'd also like to point out that many of the most knowledgable people here either work in an LFS or have in the past.

stereotypes--you never know who you might hurt.

pica_nuttalli said:
i'd just like to point out that the attitude of "all LFS workers are stupid/greedy/liars/etc" is held by more people than just newbies.

i'd also like to point out that many of the most knowledgable people here either work in an LFS or have in the past.

stereotypes--you never know who you might hurt.
[snapback]912995[/snapback]​

all LFS workers are stupid/greedy/liars/etc!!!
from an lfs worker :rolleyes: :D

AaronD said:
Newbies are newbies. They are going to make mistakes, they are going to use the wrong information, but so be it. You guys should help them out and look back on when you first started. Im sure you all didnt read books etc before your first tank
[snapback]912495[/snapback]​

Actully.....When I first bought my tank, I set it up, then went to Petco to get fish. Luckily the main fish department person was there, and she refered me to a couple of books. She said to read atleast one of them before I buy fish. Best thing that could have happened.
I read the book, cycled my tank, had a very sucessful tank with only 1 death because of a mistake, and was on my way to getting MTS. I soon realized I wanted anotyher tank, and then bought my other 10G, 5G, 2 1Gs, and my most recent one, a 55G.

agreed it isn't rocket science and it is all learned through trial and error. but I too think that there are alot of impulse buys out there I mean where would many of us be without that little cricket on our shoulder telling us that we have room for one more fish.... let me tell you if he werent there I wouldnt have the festae, jags, or the con( which by the by is going to be entered in the central americans under 6" class at the ACA show next july) what I do have a problem with myself is people that just put out a general comment without thinking it through, and it always seems to be the cichlids that take it, it seems to me that there are way too many people that lack the knowlege about cichlids to give a comment such as "Cichlids can be territorial little snots." there is something fore everyones needs. But like I said its all trial and error, with a little support and friends that have shared simmilar experiences.

Newbies are newbies. They are going to make mistakes, they are going to use the wrong information, but so be it. You guys should help them out and look back on when you first started. Im sure you all didnt read books etc before your first tank

I did 6 months of research before I bought my first tank. Thats not to say I've finished researching. If doing the research beforehand is too hard, then the actual work of PROPERLY caring for their pet is probably too stressful and these people should wipe the thought of having a pet, out of their mind.

Imagine if we went about everything in life the same way most people do when it comes to pets. What if we hired teachers who had not even been to college to teach our children. What if we had architects who had never read a book on architecture design skyscrapers. What if your doctor's had not even been through a high school health class?

Not researching or taking the time to gian the pertinent information is ignorance. We've all been guilty of such. But at a certain point in life one should have a good idea of the concept of ignorance and do everything to avoid it. Unfortunately it seems as though theres not very much ignorance awareness in the world.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back