So Who'se Getting Up At 5am For The Gp Over The Weekend?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think if the FIA are harsh on Mclaren then that could easily tip Mercedes over the edge of wanting to pull out of the sport, unless they stay to support Brawn. That would leave Mclaren, Brawn and Force India looking for new engines next year. If USF1 come in next year with the FIA Cosworth engine I could easily see these three taking them up if necessary.

I think if the FIA are harsh on Mclaren then that could easily tip Mercedes over the edge of wanting to pull out of the sport, unless they stay to support Brawn. That would leave Mclaren, Brawn and Force India looking for new engines next year. If USF1 come in next year with the FIA Cosworth engine I could easily see these three taking them up if necessary.

indeed!!

on the point of the cossi v8. what the hell is the point of going back 20 years? though it would leave much more money for the poison dwarf and co. ( less cost = less start money = more for the FIA). dont kid yourself, this is about the dwarfs pocket, not the well-being of the sport.

yeah, really hope they don't pull out altogether.

I'm very mixed about the whole McLaren thing, I'm a big McLaren fan (as you may have noticed :rolleyes: ) so clearly I'd be gutted if their championship hopes were compromised this year by yet more stewards rulings. However from the evidence coming out to date about the Trulli incident it does look decidedly dodgy, I certainly wouldn't want to be defending someone who'se been lying or anything like that. I'd like to know more (although I doubt if it'd come out fully) about weather it really was just Davey getting optomistic or making a bad call or if there is somethng more serious amiss in the culture of the team.

Although we were rooting for Honda/Brawn all through the summer, really hoping something good came out of it and they're also a Mercedes team so maybe wouldn't feel too bad about switching my allegiances if it does come out that McLaren are being dodgy......

feels like an awkward place to be for a McLaren fan tbh.

indeed!!

on the point of the cossi v8. what the hell is the point of going back 20 years? though it would leave much more money for the poison dwarf and co. ( less cost = less start money = more for the FIA). dont kid yourself, this is about the dwarfs pocket, not the well-being of the sport.

Oh completely. I think F1's going in a direction that is stifling the sport rather than innovating. KERS use should be far less restricted and perhaps be geared to less fuel consumption. And within a broad set of guidelines teams should be encouraged to innovate rather than potentially be punished for it. I also think teams should be encouraged to research and use alternative power plants and fuels. A Hydrogen fuel cell powered F1 car with KERS systems to extend range and power ourput could be very green and very quick solution too.

indeed!!

Oh completely. I think F1's going in a direction that is stifling the sport rather than innovating. KERS use should be far less restricted and perhaps be geared to less fuel consumption. And within a broad set of guidelines teams should be encouraged to innovate rather than potentially be punished for it. I also think teams should be encouraged to research and use alternative power plants and fuels. A Hydrogen fuel cell powered F1 car with KERS systems to extend range and power ourput could be very green and very quick solution too.

oddly the FIA, are against Gas powered cars. they gave no help, and seemed to put obstacles in the way of GM in the BTTC a few years back when they entered a LPG Vectra. a fuel cell car would be very unpopular. liner induction engines, which is what the motors that power current electrical cars are (in truth) need no development. and if they are hydrogen powered, economy is irrelevant. (as to make them, truly, cost effective, they need a source of hydrogen that is free, (or virtually) as it is way too carbon inefficient to charge them with current power supply's, with the exception of hydro power).
lol can you imagine a crash, between two F1 fuel cell cars? now that's a big bang!
still i agree, the future of our sport is in innovation. aerodynamics, mechanical grip and electronic control systems. unfortunately, the sport thrives on the "eccentric" mechanical imaginations of those who run teams, so unless its difficult, no one will bother.
what i am trying to say, in my own clumsy way, i think it should stay a "Internal combustion" powered series. can you imagine Silverstone with the cars flying by, with only the sound of the tyres on the ground, to mark the race passing?

indeed!!

oddly the FIA, are against Gas powered cars. they gave no help, and seemed to put obstacles in the way of GM in the BTTC a few years back when they entered a LPG Vectra. a fuel cell car would be very unpopular. liner induction engines, which is what the motors that power current electrical cars are (in truth) need no development. and if they are hydrogen powered, economy is irrelevant. (as to make them, truly, cost effective, they need a source of hydrogen that is free, (or virtually) as it is way too carbon inefficient to charge them with current power supply's, with the exception of hydro power).
lol can you imagine a crash, between two F1 fuel cell cars? now that's a big bang!
still i agree, the future of our sport is in innovation. aerodynamics, mechanical grip and electronic control systems. unfortunately, the sport thrives on the "eccentric" mechanical imaginations of those who run teams, so unless its difficult, no one will bother.
what i am trying to say, in my own clumsy way, i think it should stay a "Internal combustion" powered series. can you imagine Silverstone with the cars flying by, with only the sound of the tyres on the ground, to mark the race passing?

I know the kid in me does thrive on the sound of an F1 car screaming past, but the realist in me can see that this sport needs to be innovating towards what could be the next generation of road car, not harking back to the last. We have nostalgic race series for that.

Hydrogen can be relatively efficiently extracted from water using just electricity, and if the teams were encouraged to obtain their electricity from renewable sources, solar or wind for example then it could be quite efficient and environmentally clean.

I know the kid in me does thrive on the sound of an F1 car screaming past, but the realist in me can see that this sport needs to be innovating towards what could be the next generation of road car, not harking back to the last. We have nostalgic race series for that.

Hydrogen can be relatively efficiently extracted from water using just electricity, and if the teams were encouraged to obtain their electricity from renewable sources, solar or wind for example then it could be quite efficient and environmentally clean.

we will have to disagree om the Format. lol

but hydrogen from water using electric? it has a much bigger carbon footprint, than charging the batteries up from the mains. true its. relatively, easy to do. but the efficiency (or lack of) of the process makes it worse for the environment not better. that's why Honda develop their "fuel cell" cars on a Pacific island, where the electricity is provided by Hydroelectric generators. ( a natural feature of the island is a mountain/ex volcano with a lake on top! hydrogen is also, incredibly dangerous. and in liquid form, not practical as a mass source of power.

true, F1 has been at the forefront of automotive development since its inception. but its value, to the road user, has been in all areas, and not as much as you think, has been Engine based. think of the innovations that have come from it:
disc brakes, ok so they started on bikes, but were developed by F1 for Road cars.
active suspension
monocoque chassis
safety cell technology
fly by wire control systems.
explode safe fuel tanks
traction control.
useful Automatic gear boxes.
if you look at the "Engine" only developments of F1
turbo charging
fuel injection
engine mapping
apart from the above, everything else in the engine department has been tinkering with, already, known technologies.
F1 will die without the internal combustion engine, and that may we happen. that does not mean we should encourage it.

at the risk of sounding like a chav teenage can i just say

OH MY GOD!!

[URL="http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9181.html"]http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9181.html[/URL]

Anything to do with the recent troubles you think?

Ron was Mclaren, in the same way Williams just isn't the same without old Frank making a regular appearance. I think he did it for two reasons, to make some atonement for the liegate scandal and also to distance himself from what has become an uncomfortable situation.

we will have to disagree om the Format. lol

but hydrogen from water using electric? it has a much bigger carbon footprint, than charging the batteries up from the mains. true its. relatively, easy to do. but the efficiency (or lack of) of the process makes it worse for the environment not better. that's why Honda develop their "fuel cell" cars on a Pacific island, where the electricity is provided by Hydroelectric generators. ( a natural feature of the island is a mountain/ex volcano with a lake on top! hydrogen is also, incredibly dangerous. and in liquid form, not practical as a mass source of power.

true, F1 has been at the forefront of automotive development since its inception. but its value, to the road user, has been in all areas, and not as much as you think, has been Engine based. think of the innovations that have come from it:
disc brakes, ok so they started on bikes, but were developed by F1 for Road cars.
active suspension
monocoque chassis
safety cell technology
fly by wire control systems.
explode safe fuel tanks
traction control.
useful Automatic gear boxes.
if you look at the "Engine" only developments of F1
turbo charging
fuel injection
engine mapping
apart from the above, everything else in the engine department has been tinkering with, already, known technologies.
F1 will die without the internal combustion engine, and that may we happen. that does not mean we should encourage it.

Perhaps the reason there have been so few power source developments is because there has been no reason or encouragement to do so. The internal combustion engine hasn't changed much since it's design, only refinements. Or perhaps there needs to be another series for the next generation of experimental cars. In road car design hydrogen could be produced from electricity generated from solar cells on the roof of the car and by electricity recovered from braking etc. I guess you couldn't do it quick enough to power an F1 car but for road cars it could be possible.

at the risk of sounding like a chav teenage can i just say

OH MY GOD!!

[URL="http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9181.html"]http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9181.html[/URL]

Anything to do with the recent troubles you think?

not really. the troubles with the poison dwarf and his cohort, date back, decades. plus he was not at, nor involved in anyway, directly, with the GP where the problems arose. though he was still at the "head" of McLaren F1.
what is cool however, is the fact i can now, openly, say. Rons problems stemmed from the relationship, or lack of it, between himself and the dwarf and friend.

Perhaps the reason there have been so few power source developments is because there has been no reason or encouragement to do so. The internal combustion engine hasn't changed much since it's design, only refinements. Or perhaps there needs to be another series for the next generation of experimental cars. In road car design hydrogen could be produced from electricity generated from solar cells on the roof of the car and by electricity recovered from braking etc. I guess you couldn't do it quick enough to power an F1 car but for road cars it could be possible.

I hear you. but that would be another sport, not F1. again we will have to differ.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back