Snakehead Species?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm looking for a snakehead to keep, can anybody give me any of the names of the smaller species? (by smaller, I mean bellow 3feet).

this is going to be a solo tank?
i have the Channa-ornatipinnis great sub tropical fish that needs to kept around 16c............
or you could go for Channa Bleheri Usually 15cm/6 inches...

It's going to be a species only tank, if I can fit more than 1 into the 55gallon that's awsome, but if not then oh well. I like the sounds of the Channa Bleheri, what is it's common name? Also, how many do you think I could have in a 55gallon tank.

There are loads under 3'.

A good choice would be

Channa Bleheri, Rainbow Snakehead
Channa Sp. Assam Both of these can be kept in groups.

Others include Gachua, Ornatippinis, Stewarti, Punctata. Pulchra. There are many more but in a 55 you would really only get away with one of any of these.

If you have questions please ask.

Pulchra are fantastic fish. I love these fish but whether you'd get more than one in is another matter

How bout Orientalis? I'd love Bleheri I got Assam by mistake and haven't enjoyed keeping them as much

Channa's are cool fish to keep though

sorry to but into the thread but are these really as vicious as they look? vids on youtube are normally of them tearing apart other fish .... heard of them eating 200 gold fish a week which seems pretty expensive...... reason why i gave them a miss.

yes they are predatory and best kept in a species tank, people do keep them with other fish but the other fish have to be larger so they dont try to eat them,,,they are worth having a species tank for mind, i love my ornate snakeheads there beautiful and fun to watch,they are more active than i thought,every time you walk into the room they come straight to the glass and swim up and down frantically,,,,i love them

i have assams and bleheri, i like the assams and can be kept in groups. they are very nice to watch and color up extremely well! mine eat from my hand and are very entertaining. you really shouldn't keep them with small fish but mine are with a goldring butterfly loach and 3 clown loach's that are barely an inch long and they all get on great. they prefer the tank full of plants but are always visible because the!
i intend on getting a few more channa species! they are addictive!

David

I keep a snakehead in with Ctenopoma, Congos, Hoplos and a 10" P Palmas, they have all grown up together and as long as they are all well fed dont bother each other.

theyre illegal in the u.s. and they might be in canada.

nope not illegal i have 2

DSC07064.jpg

this pic i call swimmin with dinner
DSC07057.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back