Snake Fish, Reed Fish, Rope Fish/Eel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pnyklr3

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My lfs has some, what they are calling, Rope Eels instock. I have read up on them, and have noticed that they "aren't for the beginner." Well, I'm not sure what to consider myself! I have kept fish for about 2 years (1 1/2 of them knowing about cycling and a little thing called "research"). I have many mature tank to be able to put a snake fish (or more) into, but I was wondering if they were delicate. Just wanted to make sure before dropping $12 on a "No Guarantee" fish. Thank you!

they're quite hardy, you should be fine, just do more research about them to make sure you actually want them

I agree with Astro. The Rope Fish (Erpetoichthys calabaricus) is one of the Bichir family (Polypteridae) and is a very hardy fish. They will eventually reach lengths of about 24 inches and, while they're not particularly aggressive, will eat anything that will fit into their mouth. Like their Polypterus cousins, Rope Fish need to have a little air space between the water surface and the top of the tank because they have 'lungs' and will come to the surface occasionally to get some air.

One thing you MUST be aware of if you're contemplating keeping one or more of these fish and that is that they are the consummate escape artists and any opening in your tank lid that is large enough for them to wriggle out of will eventually prove irresistable and you will find your Rope Fish as a dried up corpse on the floor.

-Joe

Fruitbat said:
One thing you MUST be aware of if you're contemplating keeping one or more of these fish and that is that they are the consummate escape artists and any opening in your tank lid that is large enough for them to wriggle out of will eventually prove irresistable and you will find your Rope Fish as a dried up corpse on the floor.
He's not kidding.
ANY gap, even if you're certain it's too small for escape will be used to exit the tank.

Seriously, these fish make houdini look like an learner.

Seriously.

:lol: I saw your post about the rope fish you found under the tank stand! I have already looked at one of my tanks. The only spaces at the top are airline tubing hole (very tiny...MUCH smaller than their mouths, even), and where the heater and filter are attatched (HOB filter). All can be easily filled with styrafoam (from my recently purchased computer monitor. Basically, if I wedge the styrafoam in those gaps, they won't be able to get out, right? I understand that they are amazing break-out artists, but supermen as well?

Any word on them preferring groups or being loners?

pnyklr3...

Rope Fish are generally unaggressive fish (though decidedly predatory). In my experience they do equally well in small groups or by themselves. I keep my Rope Fish (about 13 inches long) with my smaller (<6 inch) bichirs and they get along perfectly.

-Joe

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back