Slimy stuff

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
G

Guest132675

20190207_152121.jpg

I'm doing a fishless cycle of a dirted tank. The filter is cycled and has been going for over a year. Since I set up the tank more of this slimy tendrily stuff has appeared. On closer inspection under the microscope it turned out to be bacteria and infusoria. Anyone knows about this?

This may be occurring from the soil (something in it, as soil is full or various organic matter), or a fungus/bacteria from the wood.

Is it harmful? The fish will eat it? It consisted mostly of bacteria and oligochaetes (microscopic earthworms)

Is it harmful? The fish will eat it? It consisted mostly of bacteria and oligochaetes (microscopic earthworms)

I can't say. I do know that white fungus that comes from some wood species can be toxic or not depending upon the species. I had one piece of wood that developed a slimy fungus and fish were impacted seriously; fortunately I tossed it out in time to avoid fish losses, but I know of others less fortunate.

Yes, but it's not fungus, I looked at it under the microscope. It's also on plants, not just wood.

Yes, but it's not fungus, I looked at it under the microscope. It's also on plants, not just wood.

I'm not a microbiologist so I wouldn't have any idea. The soil or wood is the likely source for bacteria or fungus, and this cold obviously spread to various objects like plants, but that is as far as I can go.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back