Size question - silly one really..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Splreece

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm about to buy a larger tanka nd choices are. 240l or 182l... I dont have a budget or space issue.. But just wondering if there's a consensus on preferred size of tank that experienced keepers stick to.

I have only 3 small angels some shrimp and 2 dwarf gourami...and a few tetras (shop oversold fish and undersold tank so am upgrading.

Just wondering if there's a preference as both are 45 inch wide to its all extra length...

I have other animals and that's a silly question as bigger is generally better but am new to tropical fish... So thought I'd ask.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height) of the two tanks?

Big tanks are a pain in the butt if you have to move house but if you don't have to move they can look great.

Don't get tanks that are more than 24 inches high.

Iā€™m male ... bigger is better lol iv stopped at 500l ... or have I ahahahh , Iā€™d say if space and budget are not restricting then go big lol

Yeah, the bigger it is the more stable the water conditions are likely to be, so easier to maintain, though water changes will be bigger of course.
The depth thing is a good point as well. Deep tanks can look great but maintenance can be a pain - I knew someone with a deep marine tank which he had made to measure. He realised his mistake when he found that if he needed to reach the bottom between water changes, he had to get his head wet!

Agreed with the depth thing.
Mines only 22ā€ but as Mrs Lurch didnā€™t like any of the cabinets available I accomodated a 120yr old cabinet into a bridging/shelving affair which was unfortunately 1m high. Now the top of the tank is 64ā€ above floor level. Iā€™m 6ā€™2ā€ and can only just reach the substrate. Wet t shirts every mess around Iā€™m afraid.
If we ever upgrade to a 72ā€ long itā€™ll be lower in both tank height and cabinet height. Though Iā€™m considering 3x24ā€ in a row all identical with heavy planting where they meet to maintain the illusion.
Always work out your tank top height including storage:oops::rolleyes:

Yes please post full dimensions. If the larger tank is deeper (front to back), definitely a great choice. If it's simply taller, then it will be tougher to reach the bottom and will be tougher for light to reach the bottom (if you go planted).

Seems to me since bigger and space is not a concern go big or go home eh? Gotta remember the tank will be cheapest thing you get, its the other stuff that will cost and for tanks that are in your size considerations thereno diffderence btwn 180 and 240s. good luck...

He all.. Thanks.. I never thought of depth.. Luckily both are with cabinets. 122cm 36cm 78cm vs 91cm 46cm 56cm..

Think the 240s are wrong as its not calcing to 240m.. 220..hmm..but both look shallow enough not to worry I think

Pity the tank wasn't 122 x 46 x 56.

I would get the 3 foot because it's not as high and will be easier to work in. Alternatively get a tank made that is 4 ft long x 18 inches wide x 18 inches high, or a 4ft x 18in x 24in, or a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft..

Bigger tanks, in particular the height, the thicker the glass and heavier they are.
eg: a 4ft x 18in x 18in high tank will be 6mm thick glass on the sides and 8mm on the base.

eg: a 4ft x 14in x 24in high tank will be 10mm thick glass all round and the empty glass tank will weigh nearly twice as much as the one above.

------------------
The 122cm x 35cm x 78cm will probably be made of 12mm thick glass.

The 91cm x 46cm x 56cm should be made of 10mm thick glass.

It doesn't sound like much difference but 2mm thicker glass can make a tank feel really heavy when you have to lift or move it and putting it in/ on a vehicle to transport it to your house.

------------------
Don't trust companies selling tanks that hold x amount of water. Most tanks hold less than what the manufactures state and it varies if you have rocks, gravel, driftwood or nothing in the tank.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

When I got my tank a few years ago, all the ready made ones I liked were too tall. So I opted for a custom built tank. Unusually for the UK, the company worked in inches so my tank is 42 x 18 x 18 inches (= 107 x 45 x 45 cm). They only used 10 mm glass, so yes it is heavy!

Ym thanks all.. Cracking advice... Never thought about the depth and cleaning as well as the glass width and weight.....

I have to learn fish husbandry now.. I have a beardie but I don think I should go for another cave scene especially if they are to be mates... (not sure how they will get on as the beardie like 25% humidity and the fish... Well.. They are wet...).... Maybe just pleasently ignore each other.

Attachments

• 16090089332025346283516019205515.jpg
    16090089332025346283516019205515.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 128
Pity the tank wasn't 122 x 46 x 56.

I would get the 3 foot because it's not as high and will be easier to work in. Alternatively get a tank made that is 4 ft long x 18 inches wide x 18 inches high, or a 4ft x 18in x 24in, or a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft..

Bigger tanks, in particular the height, the thicker the glass and heavier they are.
eg: a 4ft x 18in x 18in high tank will be 6mm thick glass on the sides and 8mm on the base.

eg: a 4ft x 14in x 24in high tank will be 10mm thick glass all round and the empty glass tank will weigh nearly twice as much as the one above.

------------------
The 122cm x 35cm x 78cm will probably be made of 12mm thick glass.

The 91cm x 46cm x 56cm should be made of 10mm thick glass.

It doesn't sound like much difference but 2mm thicker glass can make a tank feel really heavy when you have to lift or move it and putting it in/ on a vehicle to transport it to your house.

------------------
Don't trust companies selling tanks that hold x amount of water. Most tanks hold less than what the manufactures state and it varies if you have rocks, gravel, driftwood or nothing in the tank.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.
Just hopping in to say, whenever I see this guy comment it is alway so knowledgeable. Like seriously, you help a lot of people with your knowledge, thank you so much!

Thanks all... I think I have a plan... The current ranks going to be my isolation tank... And the future tank may look at just tank only options.. Go for length and not as high... And use a standard sideboard... Doesn't look like there are too many shallower, longer cabinet tank combos out there..... I think the cleaning frustrations are the deal. Breaker

You can build your own stand for the tank or get a cabinet maker to whip one up. You can also make them out of metal (if you can weld), and then bolt or screw wooden panels and doors onto it.

I used to build my own because the shops and suppliers didn't have what I wanted. And when they did get stuff in, it was flimsy crap held together with staples or Ikea imitation chipboard and awful little locking key things. I really don't know how those stands held together for as long as they did.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back