Six foot 90 Gallon Journal.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Caesar

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Hey y'all. This tank has been running in various incarnations since 2015. I bought from a fish store I was working at that went out of business, the tank is probably upwards of 30 years old. It's 72"x18"x16".

It's currently an South American themed, with crossocheilus and botia I couldn't be bothered to remove. It's been an Orinoco inspired hardscape only tank until today when I planted it.

I'm pretty happy with its current iteration.

I love the natural vibe of the tank! Super peaceful and serene.

Was it a custom build ? 90g seems small for 6ft never saw a tank with those measurements

Was it a custom build ? 90g seems small for 6ft never saw a tank with those measurements
Just used the forum calculator and imputed in the dimensions on first post, itā€™s correct at 90 US Gals or 340 litres.

I know what you mean, does not seem a lot for a 6 foot tank but itā€™s a shallow tank, not the usual 2ft plus height and 2 foot width.

Must be custom made.

But a neat tank nonetheless and I would not mind a tank of that size to be perfectly honest as I have my own ideas of what Iā€™d do for a set up if that was my tank:lol:

Just used the forum calculator and imputed in the dimensions on first post, itā€™s correct at 90 US Gals or 340 litres.

I know what you mean, does not seem a lot for a 6 foot tank but itā€™s a shallow tank, not the usual 2ft plus height and 2 foot width.

Must be custom made.

But a neat tank nonetheless and I would not mind a tank of that size to be perfectly honest as I have my own ideas of what Iā€™d do for a set up if that was my tank:lol:
Yeah itā€™s a tidy tank to be fair , I would struggle to stock it tho as I would be like yeah iv got a 6fter il get an Oscar volume wise 90g would work but the dimensions wouldnā€™t , Iā€™d end up having like 75-150 neon tetra in single species tank but that would probably look amazing lol

Awesome tank. Our November Tank of the Month contest starts accepting entries in just a couple of days. We will be featuring tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. Hope you consider entering your tank.

I love the natural vibe of the tank! Super peaceful and serene.
Thanks! That's always my goal over a perfectly scaped tank.

No, Hagen used to make these tanks back in the 90s. Definitely hard to find these days, it's unbraced with .5" glass.

Awesome tank. Our November Tank of the Month contest starts accepting entries in just a couple of days. We will be featuring tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. Hope you consider entering your tank.

Thanks! I'll see about entering, with the dimensions I really struggle taking a half decent picture though unfortunately. To get this video I had to wait till night and have every other light in the room off.

Last edited:
We allow videos in the Tank of the Month contest!

Added a bunch of dried botanicals today and cleaned the filters. I've been leaving the lights on too long since I'm at work more during the busy season, so the anubias and java ferns are suffering a bit. I'll definitely be entering this tank in the monthly contest, but the water needs to be crystal clear so I'll do that tomorrow evening.

While leaning over it, I noticed I've almost got it looking like a real water course from overhead. Almost there!

Looks great. Keep us posted on its developments. Love it.

Iā€™d love a long shallow tank. 6ā€™x12ā€x12ā€ would be perfect. 180L (ish). MrsLurch isnā€™t having it though.

Looks great. Keep us posted on its developments. Love it.

Iā€™d love a long shallow tank. 6ā€™x12ā€x12ā€ would be perfect. 180L (ish). MrsLurch isnā€™t having it though.
Thanks!

You should try to get a Zoomed Lowboy. Amazing tank for shallow riverine scapes.

Another update!

Unfortunately, my pseudochalceus kyburzi ended up not surviving. They were wild caught, so likely caught and held in Colombia, then shipped to Florida, then to the vendor, then to my house within the span of a week or two. A lot of opportunities for stress along the way that made it hard to survive their hunger strike. They showed no interest in live shrimp, worms, frozen food, various dry offerings, or Repashy. Only flake surprisingly caught there attention, but only enough to swim slightly towards it, then quickly away. Parameters were likely fine as they're tailored to other Amazonian tetra.

Such is the way of the hobby.

I decided to replace that group with a large school of aphyocharax nattereri. They're known for being more aggressive than most tetra their size, so I thought they'd be a good fit for my hyphessobrycon species and aggressive botia. They shipped much better than the kyburzi too, arriving with fat bellies and eating immediately.

The botanicals haven't released much tannins to my surprise, so I'm likely going to add some more and rescape the tank to fit some more and remove plants that aren't thriving.

Additionally, I've been running an experiment with some heirloom or native strawberries (I'm not sure which, as they reproduce via runners and I found them growing in a clearing in the woods, but this area has had European settlement for 170ish years now). Some runners meant to propagate were left outside in a bowl and ended up submerged by rain in September. By October I was intrigued that they hadn't begun to rot, so added some grown floating on the surface of my betta tank. It's been weeks and they have excellent root growth, one has put out a few new leaves. So last week I planted some in the substrate of my 90 gallon and we'll see what happens! I'm expecting them to melt and become fish food though.

Last edited:
Hey y'all. This tank has been running in various incarnations since 2015. I bought from a fish store I was working at that went out of business, the tank is probably upwards of 30 years old. It's 72"x18"x16".

It's currently an South American themed, with crossocheilus and botia I couldn't be bothered to remove. It's been an Orinoco inspired hardscape only tank until today when I planted it.

I'm pretty happy with its current iteration.

Thatā€™s an interesting footprint for a 90, wouldnā€™t mind finding one for myself lol
Looks great!

Really regret buying those aphyocharax nattereri, the internet greatly understates the sheer conspecific aggression in this species. I would compare their behaviour towards characin to exodon paradoxus. It was incredible honestly, they killed pretty much all my hyphessobrycon wadai overnight and I have only a few blue ribbon left, despite the significant size disparity. I've had dominant males in the group leave water as they're chasing eachother, individuals have their eye ripped out only to immediately attack another fish moments later, and plenty of other aggressive behaviour. They've reduced the group size by 10 from fighting.

Thankfully, since they show no aggression to angelfish, so my buddy will be taking them all on Monday. In exchange, he traded me 2 manacapuru angelfish, 2 F1 santa isabel X blue zebra angelfish, and a het ghost blue zebra angelfish.

In other news, I've changed my lighting, removing my previous spotlights and adding 3 150W full spectrum growlight LEDs by SEAMETAL. Amazing light for the price. Not a huge fan of the pinker hue, so I'll likely add some extra white in the future.

PXL_20211203_100338428.jpg

PXL_20211203_100312006.MP.jpg

The strawberries were eaten by my c. reticulatus. Didn't last more than a few weeks.

The new plan for stock is replacing my fallen blue ribbon and instead of h. wadai, I'll add a small school of moenkhausia pittieri to contrast the blue ribbon. Less schooling fish overall to accommodate the increased angelfish shoal. This should hopefully be the end of turbulent stocking and the beginning of a long and peaceful community.

Love it.
Whatā€™s the turtles name?

Keep the films coming please!
Im using them to convince MrsLurch that a 72ā€x12ā€x12ā€ or similar would look better than the 24ā€x12ā€x12ā€ that currently holds my increasing stock of Heterandria Formosa. Plus when the tank lights are on itill act as mood lighting! She already loves that aspect of the 15G.

It may however mean losing my 120L/30G tank in compromise.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back