Simazine (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "Algae-Destroye

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guns

Reaction score
Hi, i have beard algae which is taking over: i have angel fish in my 4 foot tank. Is it ok to use the following product with the fish still in the tank

Simazine (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "Algae-Destroyer").

Dean

I'd suggest before adding any chemicals to treat algae, determine the source of it. Chances are it will continue to be a problem until the source is eliminated. If you can, test your phosphates. What is the size of your tank in US gallons and what is your lighting?

If you are going to add anything to eliminate the current algae, I'd suggest a couple true SAE (Crossocheilus siamensis) before any chemicals. They are one of the only known fish to eat hair algae and they are fine in a community.

Colin

Hi Colin
Thanks for the emaqil
The tank dimensions are 48+12+18
48 uk gallons.
The algae is thick green blanket algae.
Ihave changed water and cleaned filter but it is growing day by day.
I use only ro water in my tank which has been running for just over a year.
i stopped putting co2 in ages ago.
Ligting is just 1 flurescent tube on daily timer 12 on 12 off.
Closing curtains in main room so excess light doesnt come in
Dean
i will check out this
Crossocheilus siamensis

I have looked up the algae

Blue-green algae/Cyanobacteria
"Blue-green algae" is not really a true algae at all, but Cyanobacteria - a group of bacteria capable of photosynthesis. It can appear as a slimy coating in a number of different colours. It can smother plants and may release toxins harmful to fish. It can fix nitrogen and may therefore occur in tanks with zero or very low nitrates (but possibly high levels of other nutrients, particularly phosphate). It can be removed manually quite easily, as it often forms loose sheets, but it's likely to return quickly. Improving circulation/aeration in the tank sometimes causes it to decline. It can be treated with erythromycin (200mg/10 gallons) - this may however affect the filter bacteria, so it will be necessary to check for ammonia and nitrite after dosing.

seems like this, will this chemical mash up the fish???
Or is it best to take the fish out??
Dean
I have a fluval internal filter and have added extra airation yesterday

If you can, get a phosphate and nitrate test. The ratio of the two will be a factor in getting rid of the algae. My tank has very low of both so I am going to get some kno3 (potassium nitrate) and bring up the nitrates a little. You can do a 72 hour blackout to get rid of it but if your water parameters are ideal for cyanobacteria it will just keep coming back.

If the blackout doesn't work, you might try using Maracyn.
Maracyn is essentially erythromycin which will kill all the cyanobacteria or blue green bacteria/algae.
It shouldn't impact your filter bacteria. What can put your tank out of balance is the added ammonia created by the bacteria decomposing but that can be easily avoided. It shouldn't harm your fish in any other way but it is recommended not to use this kind of treatment too frequently.

1) Clean out all visible bacteria you can.
2) Treat for 5 days with 1 tablet per 10 gallons. Crush it first to help it dissolve.
3) Clean up all the dead algae that will float into the water everyday. This is very important because it will make your ammonia and nitrite levels rise as it decomposes.
4) Do a thorough gravel vac and water change at the end of the treatment.

Hope this helps.

~Nisha

Thanks people, i will give it a try over the weekend and will keep you informed.
If any of you live near Essex and would like some free angel fish, give me a shout.
Dean

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back