Shy Tiger barbs

New Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My tiger barbs are really shy - they all hide down the bottom at the back of the tank. They haven't always been like that, has anyone ever had shy tiger barbs and if so how did they get them out more

Thanks
Andy

I have never heard of shy Tigers. Mine are over active if anything. I know they go mad when they see me approaching the tank and even recognise the noises of the food cupboard door, maybe try not feeding for a couple of days and see if this wakes them up a bit. But i am no expert, am only guessing.

Did this just recently happen? Does it happen when you turn the lights on or at some other time or is it just a when ever type deal? I have had tigers in darn near every tank I've owned and am just wondering whats going on. I know that they will hide when the light bulb needs to be changed or is the wrong spectrum and there are a few other reasons why but those are the ones I have observed time and time again.

Rose

Unless being bullied, Tigers are not shy, they are lively and active.

Are your water parameters okay? If this is a recent development, that is the first thing I'd check. Barbs in general and Tigers in particular are sensitive to poor water quality, a sudden change in behaviour should prompt a thorough check. There are those that keep them as "indicator" species.

Are they in a somewhat "head down" posture?

when i firs put my tiger barbs into my tank they where shy after a few days they stoped being shy and now they are very active

My barbs are like dogs. They know me and they come towards me. Of course, that may be conditioning associated with me feeding them, but i love it.

If i walk towards the tank then rush up to the glass. If i open the top, they gather up at the surface waiting for food.

But if i stick my hand in the tank, they will not run away. They have no fear of me and even peck at my hand (it tickles). I can nudge them with my fingers and even scoop them out of the water and it never seems to bother them.

I am happy i chose them to liven up my tank a bit.

I seem to have sorted the problem by adding a large amount of plastic plants so that the whole of the back of the tank is green. I think that the barbs feel more secure coming out now that they have somewhere to quickly swim to and are now out pretty much all of the time.

I also put a spray bar on my external filter as I was advised that the really strong current across the top of the tank might bother the barbs.

Yep Labs as in african cichlids, they are one of the more mellow african cichlids and they get on ok with the barbs. The only time they have a go is when the barbs are locked in mouth-to-mouth combat. It's like the labs are the school teachers busting up a fight in the playground! I used to keep mbuna but found the labs were always getting picked on so someone advised to keep them and barbs and it works quite well - no major injuries.

My tank is pretty active and there is some fin nipping going on between the barbs, danios and lab but they each give as good as they get.

Up until today I had red tail shark in my tank, he was very placid etc and I took a chance.. Well about 4 weeks ago my tiger barbs started hiding at the back of my tank behind the air stone, this went on and on... ( I have been so busy I hadnt figured it out :/ ) My red tail (of course) was bullying them terribly!!!
However the red tail was peaceful with every other fish - mollies, platies, guppies etc.
My barbs are also like dogs, any movement past the tank and they all go wild, scampering around waiting to be fed :fun:

Hi Faewyn, My RTBS also bullies my tiger barbs, but they inturn bully my cories, none of this is too extreme, but i am currently waiting for my new tank to move my tiger barbs into to break this behaviour. They also go crazy at the slightest movement near the tank and will eat anything i put in there for them too eat, they never get full.

hi there,
ive always found that although our tigers act like a big tough gang most of the time they are actually the most nervous when anything is happening in the tank like gravel vac,planting & the algae magnet freaks them out completely unless i move it ssslllowwwly!!! whereas none of our other fish are bothered - more curious.
they do like a bit of cover esp to sleep, in the morning when our lights go on you have to search to find ours, theyre all parked in amongst the plants & hopefully now youve got more plants they'll feel more secure & start to get braver. im sure it wont be long before theyre out & about doing am & pm tank patrols( always makes me laugh when i see ours out checking out the neighbourhood situation) :D :D

millym said:
hi there,
ive always found that although our tigers act like a big tough gang most of the time they are actually the most nervous when anything is happening in the tank like gravel vac,planting & the algae magnet freaks them out completely unless i move it ssslllowwwly!!!
Mine are complete total opposite. If i have my hand in the tank to plant some plants or vacuum the gravel, they will swim right up to it and start biting me! Sometimes i will have to stop and pusah them away with a finger or such. It's not just 1 or 2 that bite me, it's all 13!

My tigers (one loner green barb, a large male and female and three 1.25 cm ones) are usually pretty active. Sometimes the lazy adult ones just sit under a cryptocryne while their smaller, more active ones zip around them. I think mine will become more and more active as the little ones get bigger, because right now mine don't seem to care much about the little ones. When I had pollution problems in my 10 gallon tank, 2 out of 5 tiger barbs died, and the others were in a head-down position. Moving them and buying them more friends really cheered them up.
The tiger barbs also seem to think my clown loaches are tiger barbs. The little ones even will follow the loaches around. It's funny to see a completely indifferent loach followed by 3 tiger barbs as he searches for food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back