Sharing My Reed Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hes a beaut, nice dim tank for him too, mine never liked light much. Nice one!

Ed

Thanks Ed.

What do you feed your reed fish? Mine is healthy as ever but he doesn't eat. We'll I guess he does but I dont know what he has been eating for the last 3 months. I know for sure that there are no left over pellets in the tank. No missing fishes as well. But he's absolutely healthy. Weird right?

Hes a beaut, nice dim tank for him too, mine never liked light much. Nice one!

Ed

Thanks Ed.

What do you feed your reed fish? Mine is healthy as ever but he doesn't eat. We'll I guess he does but I dont know what he has been eating for the last 3 months. I know for sure that there are no left over pellets in the tank. No missing fishes as well. But he's absolutely healthy. Weird right?

Have you tried frozen bloodworms?

Hello Crossfire.

Yes, I toss in frozen blood worms once in a while.. the only thing is that there are more than a dozen other fishes in the tank... oh... the loaches.. they wont leave any to the seemingly nocturnal reed fish...

Hello Crossfire.

Yes, I toss in frozen blood worms once in a while.. the only thing is that there are more than a dozen other fishes in the tank... oh... the loaches.. they wont leave any to the seemingly nocturnal reed fish...

Oh boy, feared that would be the case. I have this problem with my kuhlis...

Is there a particular spot where the reedfish inhabits the most? A favorite hole or space to squeeze in? Then, distract the other fish by feeding them frozen bloodworms on the opposite side of the tank, or furthest away from the spot. Then, I usually use a baby-bird feeding syringe (found in most chain pet stores), defrost some more bloodworms in dechlorinated or tank water, then suck it up in the syringe and shoot the bloodworms under a piece of driftwood or hole or wherever the reedfish lives the most. He'll be the only one to get it, hopefully. You could also do it at night, to increase chances of him eating. :good:

I also use this method to handfeed my timid Sparkling Gouramis. They're like little babies eating from a bottle :wub:

I though of that too.. however my reed is in a large tank (75 gallons) and nowhere to be found by day.. I don't really know he hangs out.

great thread, i am getting a reed from my 75, i will keep an eye on this threas

I though of that too.. however my reed is in a large tank (75 gallons) and nowhere to be found by day.. I don't really know he hangs out.

Do you have moonlights? It would be easier for you to find him during the night.

Spend a good 15 minutes spying and search all over the tank until you discover him or where he lurks :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back