Setting up a 55 gal coldwater tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrock0311

Reaction score

3 days ago I set up and began running a new 55 gal. tank and have been thinking about my fish options if I don't put in a heater. This is my first 55 gal. and I'm taking my time so I don't screw anything up like I did when I first got my 30 gallon. Here are my questions:

#1: What kinds of compatible fish are recommended for a tank w/out a heater?

#2: Should I put live plants in the tank? Currently there are only fake plants
inside....if so, do I need special lighting for plants or will the regular lights
be ok?

#3: Can I take some gravel from my established aquarium and put in in the new
one to speed up bacteria development?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. I'm sure I'll have many more questions before I put any fish in the tank. ANY advise or info you can share will be greatly appreciated! Thanks and have a great day.

Mike

I'm going to say hello and welcome to start off with - now I'm running off to find out some of your answers (I am hoping that someone else will pop in and beat me to it) :D .

ALASKA

I suggest you scrap the idea and send me the tank so I can um dispose of it. But barring that 1 you could have 5 goldfish (not koi) or there are alot of loaches that you could put in there or there are wild fish that would be great like sunfish or bluegills. I would suggest talking to your LFS and seeing what is available in your area.

Opcn

There a many coldwater species, are you looking for something out of the ordinary or just something like the common Goldfish?

I'm looking for any fish that won't be too difficult to care for but at the same time are colorful and somewhat active.

I'd go for Goldfish (Common and Comets etc) or Fancy Goldfish (Fantails and Pearlscales etc). Maybe five Goldfish and a couple of Wheather Loaches. Or you could try your hands with Hillstream Loaches, Golden Minnows, Sticklebacks, Sunfish or maybe even Bitterlings if you can get hold of them. :)

O.K. nothing against anybody's ideas here but I just recently got a 55 gal and I have 3 comets and a black moor in it and I just want to warn you that gold fish are really really dirty. I have had my comets for 4 years and until recently had them in a 10 gal tank. I moved them to a cycled 55 gal tank 2 weeks ago today and I've had to do several water changes and gravel vacs to keep the tank clean. I have been very careful watching the bacteria so I don't over doit but my tank is constantly dirty no matter what I do (and before anyone says it , No I am not over feeding)

Just thought I would warn you about what you will be getting into!!!

P.S. my comets range in size from 3 1/2 " - 6" or 7" in lenght.

Rayne has made a good point, goldfish are well know for being dirty. This is why 10gallons per fish is optimum for them (I know I don't follow it, but I can't right now).

I have an iteresting coldwater tank, well I think so. Maybe see if anything takes your fancy there...

Ive got an great idea why not go out and buy a hillstream loach (for algea control) and 50 white cloud feeders they only get to be about an inch and as feeders 50 would only cost you 10 bucksthen they would grow and you could have one awesome school to look at.

Opcn

opcn said:
Ive got an great idea why not go out and buy a hillstream loach (for algea control) and 50 white cloud feeders they only get to be about an inch and as feeders 50 would only cost you 10 bucksthen they would grow and you could have one awesome school to look at.

Opcn
Hmmmm, why not mention the requirements for hillstreams as wel as recommending them?

They need very clean, oxygenated water. It should also be very fast flowing as well as the tank having several smooth surfaces for them to hop on and off.

Thank you all for the advice and ideas. I have a lot to think about. I was told that goldfish only get along with other goldfish....is this true? How about Orandas? Are they part of the Goldfish family?

Koi and long bodied gold fish or fancy goldfish or otherfish. certain suckers can go any where.

Opcn

I would like to add, as a country girl who thought it would be cool to have a "wild" tank, bluegill are VERY MESSY!!! You will have to have an awesome filtration system to keep up with them. I love the look of a "wild" tank, but NEVER AGAIN!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back