Serious problem with molly mouth!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Chloesummer

Reaction score
Iā€™ve had this molly for around 8 months now and his mouth is incredibly swollen. Iā€™ve tried different treatments including tonic salt and fungal medication with no luck, it only seems to be increasing in size. I donā€™t think itā€™s fungal as it doesnā€™t look fluffy, just very swollen. The tank he lives in is 105l and not overstocked, testing levels are always normal. I have loaches, guppies and neons, he is the only molly. He seems happy other than this, still somehow eats as normal and is swimming around normally. But I worry that heā€™s uncomfortable as it certainly looks it. Iā€™ve just been able to purchase a hospital tank so heā€™s currently quarantined and Iā€™m trying another round of salt treatment, but generally want to know if this is normal for mollies because I canā€™t figure it out. Been in the hobby over a year but still learning a lot. TIA

Attachments

• CE9F7498-4C6C-4964-8CB6-BDD023B17009.jpeg
    CE9F7498-4C6C-4964-8CB6-BDD023B17009.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 113
  • C4EE3D9E-33A4-41FF-8D7A-B34AE272C2A6.jpeg
    C4EE3D9E-33A4-41FF-8D7A-B34AE272C2A6.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 52
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It's not a normal disease and salt is unlikely to help. However, you can try salt. I will post directions below for using salt.

It could be a virus or a tumour. There's no cure for either but viruses can sometimes go into remission if the fish's immune system is improved. You can boost their immune system by keeping the tank clean and feeding a varied diet 3-5 times a day. When feeding this often you should do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day or two so the tank stays clean.

--------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

(she's a she by the way) ;)

Definitely not normal for mollies - my first thought upon seeing it was tumours or cysts (like from a virus) too. Poor girl, that definitely doesn't look comfortable, glad she can still eat at the moment... also looks as though it may be covering her left eye. Isolating her from the others was the right move, in case it could be contagious, or the others pick on her if she gets weaker/eat her body if she passes etc. Poor girl. I have such a soft spot for black mollies.

Agree with Colin of course.

The only other thing I'd add is that she'd feel more comfortable and less stressed if you could make her hospital tank a bit more homey. A thin layer of substrate, some plants, the odd bit of hardscape/decor. Just to make her feel safer and more secure, especially if she has to remain in there for a long time.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It's not a normal disease and salt is unlikely to help. However, you can try salt. I will post directions below for using salt.

It could be a virus or a tumour. There's no cure for either but viruses can sometimes go into remission if the fish's immune system is improved. You can boost their immune system by keeping the tank clean and feeding a varied diet 3-5 times a day. When feeding this often you should do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day or two so the tank stays clean.

--------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.
Thank you this is very helpful info. Would it be better to keep her in the main tank if itā€™s not contagious and if treatment is unlikely to work? She has had this growth going on for at least 3 months, the other fish havenā€™t been affected but wanted to give it my best shot at trying to get her recovered. My usual routine for the main tank is a half water change weekly and filter maintenance once a month. Itā€™s also a planted tank. I do however only feed once a day, so perhaps I need to up this but I noticed she does spit food out a lot which indicates to me sheā€™s full? Also feed a varied diet of different flakes and occasional garden peas too but she really struggles to eat these even if theyā€™re cut into tiny pieces

(she's a she by the way) ;)

Definitely not normal for mollies - my first thought upon seeing it was tumours or cysts (like from a virus) too. Poor girl, that definitely doesn't look comfortable, glad she can still eat at the moment... also looks as though it may be covering her left eye. Isolating her from the others was the right move, in case it could be contagious, or the others pick on her if she gets weaker/eat her body if she passes etc. Poor girl. I have such a soft spot for black mollies.

Agree with Colin of course.

The only other thing I'd add is that she'd feel more comfortable and less stressed if you could make her hospital tank a bit more homey. A thin layer of substrate, some plants, the odd bit of hardscape/decor. Just to make her feel safer and more secure, especially if she has to remain in there for a long time.
Thank you for this info. She was only a baby when I purchased her, the growth has been going on for at least 3 months maybe more. seems to be a slow decline and other fish havenā€™t been affected. Maybe because she is the only molly. I got a quarantine tank as I wanted to give it my best shot at getting her recovered but I donā€™t hold much hope if itā€™s a tumour šŸ˜” I have examined her and itā€™s only over her mouth which I suspect will eventually affect how she eats if it continues to grow. Not sure what else I can do for her at this point. If it isnā€™t contagious I would rather her be comfortable in her main tank. I will quarantine her for a while and see if it changes anything

I do however only feed once a day, so perhaps I need to up this but I noticed she does spit food out a lot which indicates to me sheā€™s full? Also feed a varied diet of different flakes and occasional garden peas too but she really struggles to eat these even if theyā€™re cut into tiny pieces
You can move her back into the main tank if you like. She will probably be happier with the plants.

If she is spitting out food, it could be too hard or too big for her to swallow. If it gets worse and she has trouble eating, then euthanise her.

Peas and other vegetables can be boiled before being mushed up and fed to the fish. It might be easier for her to eat. You can also put the peas in a blender and turn it into a liquid. Then use an eye dropper to add a little bit at a time. She might be able to swallow some of the liquid or fine particles.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back