Serious Problem With Emporer Angel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AstonN24vantage

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all. My father has a 55g tank with a lyretail wrasse, a yellow tang, niger trigger, an emporer angel, a clownfish, a lionfish, and a few harmless inverts. test results are:
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
nitrate 0-2.5
ph 8.2
ok. so my dad bought an emperor angel last week, and it looked great. a few days ago, we realized it looked awful. its lost most of its color, appears to have ick (but doesnt) looks sad & stressed, anybody else experience this? when we first put it in, it was also with a pearl scale butterfly, but it died that day of natural causes. no other fish affected. thanks for help!

Hi all. My father has a 55g tank with a lyretail wrasse, a yellow tang, niger trigger, an emporer angel, a clownfish, a lionfish, and a few harmless inverts. test results are:
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
nitrate 0-2.5
ph 8.2
ok. so my dad bought an emperor angel last week, and it looked great. a few days ago, we realized it looked awful. its lost most of its color, appears to have ick (but doesnt) looks sad & stressed, anybody else experience this? when we first put it in, it was also with a pearl scale butterfly, but it died that day of natural causes. no other fish affected. thanks for help!
Based on a quick search around the internet it would appear the tank it is contained in is 50% below the capacity that it should be at in order to keep an Emporer Angel. So if it's cramped or not used to it's new tank mates in the small amount of space it has, they may serve has stressors. It also a difficult fish to keep so try and be extra careful in all respects.

edit: also, take into account that it will eventually reach 40cm in length. It may either now, or some time soon, need a much larger aquarium.

ok. its pretty small now, but ill let him know. but he's kept emperors for years at a time with similar tank mates, and angels of similar angels. maybe this is just a stupid one?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back