separating breeding convicts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steve-0

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
When should i put my breeding pair of conicts in my breeding tank? The female laid eggs a week ago but they were eaten so sould i put them in my separate tank now?

she should start to get ready to breed again in 3-6 weeks. depends on the fish. have one pair that usually breeds about every 3 weeks and the other that is a lttle longer.

if you are going to put them in a seperate tank, i would do so now. the female will clean a flat surface on which to lay the eggs. you will notice her belly getting a bright orangey color. the orange color may even go up in to the body area. one of mine almost gets all orange before she lays, but she is a pink. also her belly will get very large. you may notice the oviposter a day or two before she lays the eggs.

would seperate them now so they can prepare where they want to lay the eggs.

semper fi

Steve-0 I agree with Semper Fi.

I have a pair of breeding convicts - (see most recent FOTM competition photos - proud owner! :wub: )

(I hope Flippin_thing_bit_me_eye isn't reading this! -_- :look: )

They generally deposit their eggs every 3 - 4 weeks. I take the female out straight away and let dad do the protecting. Then I take out the fry after about a week and seperate them into growing tanks.

Once the fry have gone I re-introduce the femal and usually within a week or so they are starting to move gravel and find suitable laying spots. Mine use a flower pot but move the eggs around throughout the hatching period. Shortly after the "nest building bit" eggs appear.

Once started they don't seem to stop. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your pair. ;)

i never need to seperate the females and fry. just today i noticed that there were two poofs of what looked like dirt in the tank. got ready to get out the syphon and clean the tank and noticed that it was fry. both had a batch of babies. one batch is slightly older than the others. of course the red devils were swimming nearby waiting for mom and dad to turn their backs. they do a pretty good job of protecting the young.

if anyone wants some pink convicts they are free for the taking. have some older well developed males. still young enough to spawn also free. just have to pay for shipping or come and pick up. let me know.

semper fi

i am near detroit, michigan. not sure about shipping to canada. if you are near there maybe we could meet inbetween.

semper fi

Id love to meet but i am too far away. I live about 2 hrs away from Vancouver sorry.
I wish people from this forum were closer to me :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back