Second Stage Cycle Started Today Help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hi Lana,

So for whatever of the many reasons.. it looks like we've settled into a nitrite spike stage in this (now fishless) cycle. Adding only to 3,4ppm should be good at this stage and then can be eased back up to 5ppm as soon as the spike is over and the N-Bac population is big enough to gobble up all the nitrite in under 24 hours.

~~waterdrop~~

WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO

check this out

ok last night all i tested was nitrites and ph had to go out
so at 530 pm
nitrites read was 2ish
ph 7.0 added 2tablespoon crushed coral

this morning readings are
day 24 fishless day 62 all together

6:30 am readings 24 hours after 12ml ammonia added to 3ppm to 4 ppm

ammonia 0
nitrites 0 to 0.25 YES YOUR READING THAT RIGHT , It is not sky blue but blue :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:
nitrates 40 to 80
ph 7.6
temp 30C

wow they proccess fast woohoooo i see a end in sight 1 more week to go i hope :good:

Good! You might have glimpsed the crossover point (ie. point on steep growth curve of N-Bacs where population has just done one of its doublings and is just barely big enough to munch through the number of nitrite molecules available at 24 hours.) Theoretically, the next time it doubles (a day or two) it should have more than enough to start giving zero readings at 24 hours regularly.

~~waterdrop~~

Good! You might have glimpsed the crossover point (ie. point on steep growth curve of N-Bacs where population has just done one of its doublings and is just barely big enough to munch through the number of nitrite molecules available at 24 hours.) Theoretically, the next time it doubles (a day or two) it should have more than enough to start giving zero readings at 24 hours regularly.

~~waterdrop~~

woooohoooo

so the nitrites reading i am looking for 0 in 24 hours not 12

Well no, your ultimate goal of course is a full week of it dropping nitrite (as well as ammonia) to zero in 12 hours or under. I was just saying that at this point you look to be about near the end of the nitrite spike where it will drop nitrite more slowly, in 24 hours say, rather than still being spiked at 24 hours.

~~waterdrop~~

Agreed with WD, looking good :nod: Nearly there :hyper:

Just watch that pH when you do a large waterchange. ;) There will be less biological waste in the system after the waterchange, so less stuff acting to pull the pH down, so it should swing up after a day or two if the crushed coral does it's thing :nod: Practice sometimes differs, but it is something to be aware of at this stage :good:

All the best
Rabbut

thanks guys

and wd i know i have to see zeros for a week or better to call it a done cycle ... what i was asking is you say nitrites in 24 hours to proccess i wanted to know if that was the goal for them and ammonia 12 hours or shoould they both proccess in less than 12 hours, does that make sence :huh:

Ammonia and nitrite to zero within 12 hours or less is the target :good:

good that is what i thought my goal was and then min 1 week holding at at , then consider adding fish again

ok i am on track :good:

7 pm readings

only tested nitrites
they are between 0.50 and 1

day 25 fishless day 63 all together

6:30 am readings 24 hours after 12ml ammonia added to 3ppm to 4 ppm

ammonia 0
nitrites ZERO
nitrates 40 to 80
ph 7.4
kh 3 drops
temp 30 C

all looking good let's hope nitrites are zero at supper :good:

YAY, You did that just to cheer me up didn't you lana!!!

tis my last day in work today and i'm feeling really bloomin miserable, so it's nice to see some good news. :good:

YAY, You did that just to cheer me up didn't you lana!!!

tis my last day in work today and i'm feeling really bloomin miserable, so it's nice to see some good news. :good:

of corse i did MW, :D :*

we are close to the 12 mark with nitrites :nod: :nod: almost there

it is nice looking at a different color :lol:

Brilliant, i'm really pleased for you, be even happier when it's done and you've gone some fishies in there and happy though :D

Most reactions

Back