School...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kudos to you! We need more out there like you. As a retired Psych aNurse, I advocate strongly for mental health changes, stigma, and quality care at affordable prices.

We are woefully under staffed here. There's few parties calling to allocate 10% of overall health budget to mental health services.

Your mind is such an important part of you and so it's vital we care for it in the same way we do the rest of our body. And to be able to talk about illness like you would a cold, or other illness. But I keep repeating that "it's ok to not be ok" only works if you've clear paths to care & recovery. If someone asks for help we need to be able to provide it.

Yes, I'm just too dumb. Help
I doubt this very much, why do you think you aren't clever?
Home schooled students have an advantage as all the work they've done has been targeted to their ability (and interests to a lesser extent) so they are likely to be ahead of a mainstream school student who has had generic work with prescribed learning styles.
I think you may be pleasantly surprised at how you measure up!

I am homeschooled.

Even homeschool is stressful. I think there is technically more work involved, because homeschoolers are typically ahead of most public schoolers in their grade. (No offense to any public schoolers...)

For me, I have to squish 5 days of work into 4, or in this case (this week), 5 days into 3.

It’s also really stressful here because of the move coming up. *

I usually get down with school around 2:00 in the afternoon, but most times I’m down with it around 1:00ish.

I don’t know why it’s more stressful now, I guess: welcome to 10th grade.

(I do have a 3.8 GPA though)

As of right now, i dont plan to go to college. I plan to graduate highschool, wait a few years, then go into the SEALS's.

Tomorrow, I'm going to help dig a lot of French drain trenches at my church. And then the next day, i have to squish 2 days of school into one.

My mom is my teacher... :look:

Although, I do a lot of independent work.

I just have the same schedule for every day, listen to my mean history teacher, laugh at me crazy science teacher who thinks she’s a duck, complain about why I have to take art or half way listen to music class, fall asleep in English, listen to my algebra teacher get very of topic, think about how much I hate my Spanish teacher, and then have fun in band. I haven’t had much stress just bored at everything exept for band, algebra, and science

My wife was home schooled, and I have always wondered the merits of it. She had a great opportunity to do a lot of extra stuff as well as the learning, which you seem to be doing.
She is a very smart person with similar GPA to you as far as I remember and is now a vet. actively loved learning ect.

But I do wonder about some of the kids who are not as keen to do stuff and its the parental reasons for removing from main stream school. My wife has stories of people in her home school groups where their parents refused to let the kids read harry potter because it glorified witchcraft, wouldn't let them read Shakespeare or avoid acknowledging evolution. I'm not saying it's essential for functioning in life, but it leads to me asking well what else are they missing?

My main issue with it is, even with 4 degrees to may name, I don't feel comfortable teaching anyone about say history, geography or physics.
Now I know there is an excess of learning material that can be found, but I always wonder how effective I would be compared to someone who actually studied the topic.
I'm from the UK so Secondary teachers (year 7 and above) all have a degree in their subject and you'd have one for maths, one for biology, one for chemistry, physics ect.

My wife was home schooled, and I have always wondered the merits of it. She had a great opportunity to do a lot of extra stuff as well as the learning, which you seem to be doing.
She is a very smart person with similar GPA to you as far as I remember and is now a vet. actively loved learning ect.

But I do wonder about some of the kids who are not as keen to do stuff and its the parental reasons for removing from main stream school. My wife has stories of people in her home school groups where their parents refused to let the kids read harry potter because it glorified witchcraft, wouldn't let them read Shakespeare or avoid acknowledging evolution. I'm not saying it's essential for functioning in life, but it leads to me asking well what else are they missing?

My main issue with it is, even with 4 degrees to may name, I don't feel comfortable teaching anyone about say history, geography or physics.
Now I know there is an excess of learning material that can be found, but I always wonder how effective I would be compared to someone who actually studied the topic.
I'm from the UK so Secondary teachers (year 7 and above) all have a degree in their subject and you'd have one for maths, one for biology, one for chemistry, physics ect.
Yea a lot of parents don’t like Harry Potter. Personally I think they are stupid! What’s wrong with Harry Potter?

Homeschooling is a very interesting and complicated social phenomenon. As a public school teacher with a strong libertarian bent, it's something I've thought about a lot.

Yea a lot of parents don’t like Harry Potter. Personally I think they are stupid! What’s wrong with Harry Potter?
Well, many people have spiritual beliefs that witchcraft (in the real world) is wrong, so it's easy to see why those people might choose not to read HP. As a Christian, I'm a bit uneasy with it myself, but to me the good themes of friendship, loyalty, sacrifice, and love outweigh my qualms about the fake witchcraft. I have friends who won't let their kids read HP, and I respect that. I don't think it's stupid; just a difference of opinion. All parents raise their kids according to their own values.

We're pretty "full disclosure" in my family; we don't use euphemisms for death; my 11 year old knows what sex is (we have livestock and lots of wild animals, and the Badgerling is a very curious, observant kid, so it's come up now and then), but there are lots of books and movies I haven't let my kid read/watch. That's part of a parent's job. You tend to become what you fill your head with. Garbage in, garbage out. So, we're honest and everything's open for discussion, but we're also fairly vigilant about what passes for entertainment, for ourselves and our kid.

That's a valid concern, but it's a concern with public schools too. I don't know how much to go into detail without starting a fight, but there are a lot of things left out in public schools, too. Or more precisely, there are certain viewpoints or sets of information that are pushed in public schools, and others that are completely ignored or even outlawed. The new national science standards, in particular, are actually a bit creepy in their dogmatism about certain issues.

Homeschooling is a very interesting and complicated social phenomenon. As a public school teacher with a strong libertarian bent, it's something I've thought about a lot.

Well, many people have spiritual beliefs that witchcraft (in the real world) is wrong, so it's easy to see why those people might choose not to read HP. As a Christian, I'm a bit uneasy with it myself, but to me the good themes of friendship, loyalty, sacrifice, and love outweigh my qualms about the fake witchcraft. I have friends who won't let their kids read HP, and I respect that. I don't think it's stupid; just a difference of opinion. All parents raise their kids according to their own values.

We're pretty "full disclosure" in my family; we don't use euphemisms for death; my 11 year old knows what sex is (we have livestock and lots of wild animals, and the Badgerling is a very curious, observant kid, so it's come up now and then), but there are lots of books and movies I haven't let my kid read/watch. That's part of a parent's job. You tend to become what you fill your head with. Garbage in, garbage out. So, we're honest and everything's open for discussion, but we're also fairly vigilant about what passes for entertainment, for ourselves and our kid.

That's a valid concern, but it's a concern with public schools too. I don't know how much to go into detail without starting a fight, but there are a lot of things left out in public schools, too. Or more precisely, there are certain viewpoints or sets of information that are pushed in public schools, and others that are completely ignored or even outlawed. The new national science standards, in particular, are actually a bit creepy in their dogmatism about certain issues.

I do see your point and dont get me wrong, the school system is the uk does miss out a whole lot. At the end of the day you can never teach everything.
But that being said the department of education has sat down and gone through to pick subjects which are important for kids to learn. Are they right, maybe not but they are damned if they do or if they dont.
But I occasionally find myself in surprise that my wife doesn't know something because it hadn't been taught by her mum.

As for the science, I will just say this. At least in the UK what is being taught conforms to our current and best understanding of how the world works. And while our understanding can change it is for all intents and purposes a true or false subject. The basics taught in schools have been tested and tested so many times, to be like true.

Most reactions

trending

Back