PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Who else here is SUPER stressed out about school... I know I am. :(

Feel free to discuss and such.

Eh. At this point, school is just a thing. I rarely find the topics we cover interesting or intriguing. I basically do some of the projects and tests, and at the end of they day, that will get you an A.
On the note of stress and depression, it's one of the most painfully under-discussed issues (imo). It crushes me to see so many of my friends so miserable. I've even heard people tell stories of seeking the legendary "help" that the school counselors say they provide, and have their issues brushed off, or not followed up on.
Anyways, that's the U.S.A. Education System for ya!

Thailand education system;
kindergarten 3-5 : Hit by a ruler for being late at school for only 5 minutes and sometimes they throw a ruler at your head too!
Punished by being stupid because don't know how to draw a monk and being left-handed.
(Child abuse included)
have to learn in a school from 6AM-9PM.
primary school 5-11: They'll throw the chalkboard eraser at you, the same as kindergarten but we have to go to school everyday;
including saturday and sunday.

middle school 11-17; same goes on but kids have gun so teacher can't do anything about it
(there's also 11years old rapist in a school)
university 17+; kids from other schools shoots you for no reason like in a news.

you know the pain?

Last edited:
You guys need to come to New Zealand and talk to our kids. They just have got no idea how lucky they are. I am in a state of shock at the moment might come up with something later.
Yep, they are lucky, I have a friend who lived there and don't even know how educations in other country was like.

Doesn't matter is another system is worse. Their experiences are valid & they're feeling stress and ignored. @PheonixKingZ sorry school is stressing you out. It's an exceptionally weird time with covid and so many normal routines up in the air. Life changes quickly - this isn't a static event but will change each week, month and year. If you've plans for college I promise you it's so very different from school. Learning there is much more independent and a whole other level of fun.

@HoldenOn you've a great outlook on things. And yes teen mental health isn't talked about enough or given the correct resources.

@Barry Tetra sorry about your own experiences and glad you're homeschooled now and like it. I used to teach in Asia & found their schooling system really intense with little opportunity for creativity.

yes yEs YES! I am moving from homeschool to public school and I am unbelievably stressed out. Tomorrow is my first day and I am panicking. I hope I am up to par with the standards and am not too far behind, I hope the homework is managable, and I am not too dumb to complete it. The doubts swarm my mind. I guess I will have to wait and see how it goes. If you have any advice I'd love to hear it

Doesn't matter is another system is worse. Their experiences are valid & they're feeling stress and ignored. @PheonixKingZ sorry school is stressing you out. It's an exceptionally weird time with covid and so many normal routines up in the air. Life changes quickly - this isn't a static event but will change each week, month and year. If you've plans for college I promise you it's so very different from school. Learning there is much more independent and a whole other level of fun.

@HoldenOn you've a great outlook on things. And yes teen mental health isn't talked about enough or given the correct resources.

@Barry Tetra sorry about your own experiences and glad you're homeschooled now and like it. I used to teach in Asia & found their schooling system really intense with little opportunity for creativity.
Sadly, mental health at any age isn’t talked about enough. The stigma has to be removed. Gosh, we all get sick at one time or another with something. Mental illness is no different from physical illness. Nothing to be ashamed of. Help is out there. It just needs to be talked about more and the cost needs to come down.

yes yEs YES! I am moving from homeschool to public school and I am unbelievably stressed out. Tomorrow is my first day and I am panicking. I hope I am up to par with the standards and am not too far behind, I hope the homework is managable, and I am not too dumb to complete it. The doubts swarm my mind. I guess I will have to wait and see how it goes. If you have any advice I'd love to hear it
You are a junior right? Its not to bad. Just make sure to pass your quizzes and tests.

Sadly, mental health at any age isn’t talked about enough. The stigma has to be removed. Gosh, we all get sick at one time or another with something. Mental illness is no different from physical illness. Nothing to be ashamed of. Help is out there. It just needs to be talked about more and the cost needs to come down.

Absolutely. Most of focus on my country is wellbeing - go for a walk approach. Very little towards the illnesses & recovery. Woefully under resourced mental health services. I did some work in mental health advocacy myself - around patient & carer rights, the law, access to care.

I get paid to sing with little kids. It's surprisingly tough with covid this year (and Mrs. Badger's teaching job is just awful), but still, there are worse ways to make a living. :)

The doubts swarm my mind. I guess I will have to wait and see how it goes. If you have any advice I'd love to hear it
"Wait and see how it goes" is good self-advice. Here is one of my foundations for living: Do the right things for the right reasons, and the grades [test scores, money, relationships, jobs, et al] will be what they are supposed to be.

The big thing in school, and maybe in life as a whole, is to work hard, learn all you can and be the best "you" you can be. Do that, and the grades tend to take care of themselves. Some colleges have a minimum GPA requirement (usually a B or C average, unless you're trying to get into an elite school, which probably is not worth it) but other than that, after you graduate no one will ever look at your high school GPA again. Nobody cares. The same goes for college; I've been in the adult workforce for around 25 years, and thus far not a single interviewer has ever asked to see my college or grad school GPA. They just want to know that I've passed the required courses. A "B" works just as well as an "A" for that. Or, if you're at a standards-based school, a 3 worlds just as well as a 4. So don't stress TOO much about grades. Grades can be a useful self-check tool--if smart guys like @TheTenthDoctor and @PheonixKingZ are pulling down Cs and Ds, that's probably an indication that you need to kick it in the pants and work harder. Other than that, don't sweat it. There are times when you have to game the system, but don't let it become a habit. Just learn.

The big thing for colleges is test scores and accomplishments: Be an all-state musician or artist, letter in a sport, take a leadership role in a club or activity, get involved in a meaningful charity work, take AP classes, win an aquascaping contest, score well SAT and ACT; take the ASVAB even if you aren't interested in the military, because it's one more opportunity to show what you can do. Colleges like to see stuff like that. A smart person like yourself can probably achieve those test scores without "studying" for the tests one bit, and I think most of the modern test prep stuff is a waste of time. The key is this: Learn. Be a sponge. Be involved. Be healthy. Learn to meet deadlines and work within given parameters. Accomplish things, and gain the confidence that comes thereby. Learn for the love of learning. Milk your projects and assignments for what you can learn from them, instead of just playing the game to get the grade. Work hard. Have fun. Grow. Approach it that way, and the test scores and grades will take care of themselves. I really am convinced of that.

School really can be approached as an opportunity rather than an obligation.

Absolutely. Most of focus on my country is wellbeing - go for a walk approach. Very little towards the illnesses & recovery. Woefully under resourced mental health services. I did some work in mental health advocacy myself - around patient & carer rights, the law, access to care.
Kudos to you! We need more out there like you. As a retired Psych aNurse, I advocate strongly for mental health changes, stigma, and quality care at affordable prices.

Wish I was back in school but at my age now so I could appreciate it , I think you should have 10 years of mandatory school before you can gain employment but to be taken as and when , I think the most vital years of school are teenage years and let’s face it were more intrested in being cool and the opposite sex ( or same sex ) not to discriminate

I get paid to sing with little kids. It's surprisingly tough with covid this year (and Mrs. Badger's teaching job is just awful), but still, there are worse ways to make a living. :)

"Wait and see how it goes" is good self-advice. Here is one of my foundations for living: Do the right things for the right reasons, and the grades [test scores, money, relationships, jobs, et al] will be what they are supposed to be.

The big thing in school, and maybe in life as a whole, is to work hard, learn all you can and be the best "you" you can be. Do that, and the grades tend to take care of themselves. Some colleges have a minimum GPA requirement (usually a B or C average, unless you're trying to get into an elite school, which probably is not worth it) but other than that, after you graduate no one will ever look at your high school GPA again. Nobody cares. The same goes for college; I've been in the adult workforce for around 25 years, and thus far not a single interviewer has ever asked to see my college or grad school GPA. They just want to know that I've passed the required courses. A "B" works just as well as an "A" for that. Or, if you're at a standards-based school, a 3 worlds just as well as a 4. So don't stress TOO much about grades. Grades can be a useful self-check tool--if smart guys like @TheTenthDoctor and @PheonixKingZ are pulling down Cs and Ds, that's probably an indication that you need to kick it in the pants and work harder. Other than that, don't sweat it. There are times when you have to game the system, but don't let it become a habit. Just learn.

The big thing for colleges is test scores and accomplishments: Be an all-state musician or artist, letter in a sport, take a leadership role in a club or activity, get involved in a meaningful charity work, take AP classes, win an aquascaping contest, score well SAT and ACT; take the ASVAB even if you aren't interested in the military, because it's one more opportunity to show what you can do. Colleges like to see stuff like that. A smart person like yourself can probably achieve those test scores without "studying" for the tests one bit, and I think most of the modern test prep stuff is a waste of time. The key is this: Learn. Be a sponge. Be involved. Be healthy. Learn to meet deadlines and work within given parameters. Accomplish things, and gain the confidence that comes thereby. Learn for the love of learning. Milk your projects and assignments for what you can learn from them, instead of just playing the game to get the grade. Work hard. Have fun. Grow. Approach it that way, and the test scores and grades will take care of themselves. I really am convinced of that.

School really can be approached as an opportunity rather than an obligation.

I'm starting out with the basic academic ciricula, just the basics, no theater or tons of other things. Just the stuff I have to take. Hope it will be okay.

Most reactions

Back