Saltwater Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Helloooooo everyone. I thought I would make a thread for basically what the title says. Saltwater questions! Anyone can ask any questions related to saltwater that they may have! I thought I would make this thread cause I have tons of questions, but wanted it to be open to everyone else’s questions too.

I’ll start with my questions!

Oops, almost forgot! @PheonixKingZ @Sgooosh

- What saltwater fish do well in 10 gallon tanks?
- What are the best beginner corals?
- What is the basic, most important equipment for a saltwater tank?
- How complicated is mixing salt, and what all is involved in it?
- What would you estimate the cost would be to convert a 10 gallon freshwater tank to a saltwater tank?

Everyone else please feel free to ask questions!

- What saltwater fish do well in 10 gallon tanks?
- What are the best beginner corals?
- What is the basic, most important equipment for a saltwater tank?
- How complicated is mixing salt, and what all is involved in it?
- What would you estimate the cost would be to convert a 10 gallon freshwater tank to a saltwater tank?
  1. I would only do one pair of clownfish. Anything more than that would be stretching it. I would look to upgrade in the future though.
  2. Most of these you can find at pet stores, and usually aren’t that expensive: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/5-minute-saltwater-aquarium-guide-ep6-coral
  3. This really depends on the setup, but I would say either the filter, circulation, or the heater.
  4. Mixing salt is super easy. I get a 5g bucket with a powerhead, and of course, the salt mix. You need to calculate how many cups of salt should be added per gallon, and the multiply that by 5. (For the 5 gallons of water in the bucket) Once you measure it all out, put the powerhead in the bucket and turn it on. Then, slowly add the salt. It will take a few try’s to get the salinity correct, but you will get the hang of it. You should mix the salt for at least 12 hours, to insure the salt is fully dissolved. In a new aquarium without fish/corals, you don’t need to wait the 12 hours.
  5. Cost for a 10 gallon tank would depend on how far in you’re willing to go.
If you want to make this a really cool coral tank, you will need a pretty good light, which can run up to $100.

I assume you already have a filter and a heater, which you can use in the saltwater realm.

All (equipment wise) you would need to get, is a powerhead. (Again these range in price from cheap non-adjustable, to good quality and adjustable)

There’s also the question on the clownfish. Original “Nemo” clownfish go for about $15/each, while most designers go for $40+/each.

Also depends on the coral and how much you want to spend on those.

——

Obviously you need to get the other basics. I can provide a list if you would like.

—-

What is your budget? Reefing doesn’t have to be expensive. It is more expensive than freshwater, but you don’t have to spend $1k on a simple tank.:)

I would only do one pair of clownfish. Anything more than that would be stretching it. I would look to upgrade in the future though.
Are there any shrimp, gobies, snails or anything, like if I WEREN’T looking for clownfish, and do clownfish have to be in pairs? Would 1 do well and be happy on its own?

It will take a few try’s to get the salinity correct, but you will get the hang of it. You should mix the salt for at least 12 hours, to insure the salt is fully dissolved. In a new aquarium without fish/corals, you don’t need to wait the 12 hours.
ohhhhhhh ok. How often do you have to do water changes on saltwater tanks?

If you want to make this a really cool coral tank, you will need a pretty good light, which can run up to $100.
Do some corals have higher light needs than others?

What is your budget? Reefing doesn’t have to be expensive. It is more expensive than freshwater, but you don’t have to spend $1k on a simple tank.:)

Ummm well if I did decide to convert my freshwater tank to saltwater, I would probably try To keep it around or below $100, to start, and as the tank matured I would be open to investing more into corals and possibly upgrading

Are there any shrimp, gobies, snails or anything, like if I WEREN’T looking for clownfish, and do clownfish have to be in pairs? Would 1 do well and be happy on its own?
You could definitely have some shrimp/snails in there.

Yes, contrary to popular belief, clownfish can be kept single! However, if you ever plan to upgrade, and you ever want to try to introduce another clown to the tank, they will most like ever bond.

There are also other nano species available...

Do some corals have higher light needs than others?
Most definitely. The coral list in the link I provided, are mostly “low light” corals.

A zoa would definitely be a good first choice. They are incredibly hardy.

Ummm well if I did decide to convert my freshwater tank to saltwater, I would probably try To keep it around or below $100, to start, and as the tank matured I would be open to investing more into corals and possibly upgrading
Hmm... let me calculate that real quick, and see if you could at least get the tank setup with the basics.

You might be able to at least get the cycle on the way, while you are waiting for more money. :)

Here is the list of basics you need and the estimated cost of each item:

• Hydrometer/Refractometer ($16-$20 - I suggest getting the refractometer)
  • Salt ($50 - treats 160 gallons of water and will last you a really long time)
  • Bottled Bacteria ($16)
  • Sand ($20)
  • Powerhead ($15)
  • Food ($17)
  • Rock - you will need both dry and live rock. You should only need 1 piece of live rock and 2-6 pieces of dry rock, depending on how you want your scape to look. Price of rock varies, but you can expect to spend at least $20.
  • Light (this one is really optional at this point and there are a TON of options out there)
This totals $160.

I know that is over your budget... you could get a smaller bag of salt, and those go for about $20. That could save you money now, but not in the long run.

I spent a little over 200 dollars on my 10 gallon nano. Excluding corals, fish and snails which were about 700 dollars. I changed my water every week when it was new and now I do it about once a month since it has matured.

I spent a little over 200 dollars on my 10 gallon nano. Excluding corals, fish and snails which were about 700 dollars. I changed my water every week when it was new and now I do it about once a month since it has matured.
I have spent around $400 on my 29g right now, but I’m not even close to being finished. I’m about to purchase a $100 black box light, not to mention more coral... :p ?

Ahhhh ok. That’s a lot! Definitely a project for next year or something, but good to know!!! I love the look of the zoa, they are just gorgeous

Ahhhh ok. That’s a lot! Definitely a project for next year or something, but good to know!!! I love the look of the zoa, they are just gorgeous
i searched up some salt water stuff, why does everything look like an anenome
zoas
corals,
even anemones look like anemones…
what about christmas worms. they look cool.
shrimps?

Honestly, if you want a saltwater tank, I would wait till next year, so you can get a bigger tanks. Nano tanks can be cool, but bigger tanks have more room for better stocking and are a lot more stable.

i searched up some salt water stuff, why does everything look like an anenome
zoas
corals,
even anemones look like anemones…
what about christmas worms. they look cool.
shrimps?
Don't touch Christmas worms, they are virtually impossible to keep in aquariums. Feather starfish are another marine organism that people shouldn't keep.

Small tanks are cheaper to set up and you don't need to spend a lot on them. Phoenix has spent a lot because he wanted a particular type of anemone fish that cost him a bit. If you live near a clean beach, you can collect natural sea water and a bit of beach sand and some rocks and save on the set up costs.

Small tanks are cheaper to set up and you don't need to spend a lot on them. Phoenix has spent a lot because he wanted a particular type of anemone fish that cost him a bit. If you live near a clean beach, you can collect natural sea water and a bit of beach sand and some rocks and save on the set up costs.
Ahh ok. I don’t live near a beach unfortunately:/ Though I am hoping to keep dwarf seahorses, which I hear are especially sensitive to other things being introduced to the tank. If I did do a dwarf seahorse tank, I can’t get any live rock or live Sand.

Last edited:
Is there a specific brand of salt that is good? Has anyone here used Instant Ocean Fast Dissolving Sea Salt? It says it only needs to be mixed for a few minutes? If I ever DID try to convince my mom to let me set up a saltwater tank, I think the thing that would make her say no would be a bucket of salt sitting mixing in the house for 12 hours :rofl:

I am just doing a bit more research and digging and pricing, and was just curious about marine plants? I Know there are different sea grasses and seaweeds and such, does anyone know what kind of lighting these things need? I am looking into dwarf seahorses, and while they can’t live with anemones they can live with small mushrooms and zoa, is it possible to mix algaes and corals? What kind of lighting would be needed?
(In other words, HELP ME WITH LIGHT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING)

A refractometer measures the salinity, correct? PK, are you happy with the one you bought? What bottled bacteria did you use?

I was just pricing some salt, per ounce, and it is cheaper per ounce to buy the 15 pound bags than it is to buy the 50 pound bucket!

Last edited:
Don't touch Christmas worms, they are virtually impossible to keep in aquariums. Feather starfish are another marine organism that people shouldn't keep.

i don't live near a beach sadly
is wild organisms a good idea? like some small tide pool corals, crabs, barnacles?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back