Saltwater Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Is there a specific brand of salt that is good? Has anyone here used Instant Ocean Fast Dissolving Sea Salt? It says it only needs to be mixed for a few minutes? If I ever DID try to convince my mom to let me set up a saltwater tank, I think the thing that would make her say no would be a bucket of salt sitting mixing in the house for 12 hours :rofl:

I am just doing a bit more research and digging and pricing, and was just curious about marine plants? I Know there are different sea grasses and seaweeds and such, does anyone know what kind of lighting these things need? I am looking into dwarf seahorses, and while they canā€™t live with anemones they can live with small mushrooms and zoa, is it possible to mix algaes and corals? What kind of lighting would be needed?
(In other words, HELP ME WITH LIGHT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING)
Yes! Instant Ocean salt is one of the best out there. I bought this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...VEz6tBh2pyQEDEAQYAyABEgLt3PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am just doing a bit more research and digging and pricing, and was just curious about marine plants? I Know there are different sea grasses and seaweeds and such, does anyone know what kind of lighting these things need?
Iā€™m not sure about plants to be honest, I only know corals. Most macro algae can live in low light. Macro algae can be very interesting.

What is your budget for your light?

I am looking into dwarf seahorses, and while they canā€™t live with anemones they can live with small mushrooms and zoa, is it possible to mix algaes and corals?
Yes, it is possible. Seahorses do well with most common corals.

A refractometer measures the salinity, correct? PK, are you happy with the one you bought? What bottled bacteria did you use?
Yes, it does. I personally have a hydrometer, but I wish I would have got a refractometer. Refractometers are more accurate and are only a bit more expensive.

I used Instant Ocean Bio-Spira and was able to cycle my tank in 4 days. The live rock will also help seed the tank.

i don't live near a beach sadly
is wild organisms a good idea? like some small tide pool corals, crabs, barnacles?
You would need to make sure itā€™s legal where you live.

Yes! Instant Ocean salt is one of the best out there. I bought this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...VEz6tBh2pyQEDEAQYAyABEgLt3PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Ah perfect! That is the exact thing I was looking at! I noticed itā€™s cheaper per pound if you buy the 15 pound increments. It would be nice not to have to store 50 pounds of salt:lol:

Yes, it does. I personally have a hydrometer, but I wish I would have got a refractometer. Refractometers are more accurate and are only a bit more expensive.
Ohhhh ok

I used Instant Ocean Bio-Spira and was able to cycle my tank in 4 days. The live rock will also help seed the tank.
Ok! I was able to go back in your old thread and find it! Thanks! I have been doing some research on Dwarf Seahorses, and interestingly, you CANā€™T use live rock because of the other organisms it can introduce to your tank, which can be harmful to the seahorses. Isnā€™t that crazy?

Ah perfect! That is the exact thing I was looking at! I noticed itā€™s cheaper per pound if you buy the 15 pound increments. It would be nice not to have to store 50 pounds of salt:lol:
Itā€™s actually cheaper in the long run if you buy the big bucket. You may think you wonā€™t use it, but you definitely will. Itā€™s also much easier to scoop out the salt from a bucket, rather than pour it from a bag.

Ok! I was able to go back in your old thread and find it! Thanks! I have been doing some research on Dwarf Seahorses, and interestingly, you CANā€™T use live rock because of the other organisms it can introduce to your tank, which can be harmful to the seahorses. Isnā€™t that crazy?
Doesnā€™t surprise me. Seahorses are extremely delicate creatures, and require the most attention to detail.

Maybe look into another fish/invertebrate for your first SW fish?

Maybe look into another fish/invertebrate for your first SW fish?
Yeah maybe. I was thinking about starting the tank, cycling it, growing all my macro algae, and ā€œgetting the hang of SWā€ with some little shrimps, feather dusters, and small starfish (all of which are compatible with seahorses) then after a while introducing a small group of seahorses, once the tank is well established?

Yeah maybe. I was thinking about starting the tank, cycling it, growing all my macro algae, and ā€œgetting the hang of SWā€ with some little shrimps, feather dusters, and small starfish (all of which are compatible with seahorses) then after a while introducing a small group of seahorses, once the tank is well established?
what is a feather duster???

what is a feather duster???
Itā€™s a filter feeding organism, pretty cool creature. They usually hitchhike onto live rock and then into your tank. Not a pest as most think...

Itā€™s a filter feeding organism, pretty cool creature. They usually hitchhike onto live rock and then into your tank. Not a pest as most think...
Yeah, I would love to have some! I think theyā€™re lovely

what will happen if i just dont dip the live rock and put it in the tank just by itself? will organisms sprout out of it?

what will happen if i just dont dip the live rock and put it in the tank just by itself? will organisms sprout out of it?
Do you mean dip to kill hitchhikers?

Ahh ok. I donā€™t live near a beach unfortunately:/ Though I am hoping to keep dwarf seahorses, which I hear are especially sensitive to other things being introduced to the tank. If I did do a dwarf seahorse tank, I canā€™t get any live rock or live Sand.
Why can't you get live rock or sand?
Dry rock and sand turns into live rock and live sand after a few months in an aquarium. As long as you don't have too much rock so the seahorses can't move around, you are fine.

--------------------
Is there a specific brand of salt that is good? Has anyone here used Instant Ocean Fast Dissolving Sea Salt? It says it only needs to be mixed for a few minutes?
I am just doing a bit more research and digging and pricing, and was just curious about marine plants? I Know there are different sea grasses and seaweeds and such, does anyone know what kind of lighting these things need? I am looking into dwarf seahorses, and while they canā€™t live with anemones they can live with small mushrooms and zoa, is it possible to mix algaes and corals? What kind of lighting would be needed?
Most artificial marine salts are the same. Just get whatever is available to you.

There is no such thing as fast dissolving salt. It's a gimmick to make people think the salt is safe to use straight away.

All mineral salts need time to dissolve completely before they are added to the tank. This means mixing the mineral salts with dechlorinated water for at least 24 hours before using the water in an aquarium.

------
You can get macro algae like Caulerpa and Halimeda. Caulerpa species are easier to keep than Halimeda species.

You don't keep macro algae with corals because the algae smother the corals and the corals die.

In a seahorse tank, just have some rocks with macro algae growing on them. Don't keep corals with seahorses.

Everything on the planet requires the same light. Our sun does not change the light it puts out just because there are plants or corals or whatever. Lights on aquariums are the same for fresh water, salt water or anything in between.

Get globes with a 6500K rating (K is for Kelvin). There should be equal parts of blue and red light, along with some green and any other colour they want to through in. But red and blue are the main wavelengths of light used by plants. Corals have a symbiotic algae in their cells, which use the same wavelengths of light as higher plants.

--------------------
A refractometer measures the salinity, correct? PK, are you happy with the one you bought? What bottled bacteria did you use?
Yes, a refractometer measures the salinity (amount of salt) in the water.

--------------------
is wild organisms a good idea? like some small tide pool corals, crabs, barnacles?
Not really. Crabs should never be kept with other creatures because they are nocturnal scavengers that will hunt and eat shrimp, fish and most other things in the tank.

Barnacles are hard to keep alive.

Some shrimp are fine but some get big and will attack smaller creatures if they get hungry. Big seahorses will eat small shrimp.

--------------------
Avoid buying huge bags/ buckets of salt because it sweats over time. The salt draws in moisture from the air and some of it dissolves in the bucket. It doesn't all dissolve but you can get moisture in the bucket with the salt if there is too much air exposed to the salt, or if the salt is left open for any length of time (a month or more). You can buy enough salt for a few months but don't have open buckets of salt sitting around for a year.

Why can't you get live rock or sand?
Because the seahorses are sensitive to certain pests/organisms that can be introduced on the rock or something... everything I have read said it is best to do the rock yourself to avoid introducing unwanted things

Everything on the planet requires the same light. Our sun does not change the light it puts out just because there are plants or corals or whatever. Lights on aquariums are the same for fresh water, salt water or anything in between.

Get globes with a 6500K rating (K is for Kelvin). There should be equal parts of blue and red light, along with some green and any other colour they want to through in. But red and blue are the main wavelengths of light used by plants. Corals have a symbiotic algae in their cells, which use the same wavelengths of light as higher plants.
Ah thank you! That is extremely helpful!

Avoid buying huge bags/ buckets of salt because it sweats over time. The salt draws in moisture from the air and some of it dissolves in the bucket. It doesn't all dissolve but you can get moisture in the bucket with the salt if there is too much air exposed to the salt, or if the salt is left open for any length of time (a month or more). You can buy enough salt for a few months but don't have open buckets of salt sitting around for a year.
Ohhhhhhh ok. I donā€™t even have somewhere to store pounds and pounds of salt, so thatā€™s good!

There is no such thing as fast dissolving salt. It's a gimmick to make people think the salt is safe to use straight away.
ohhhhhh ok. What is the best way to dissolve the salt? A power head in a bucket? Is it ok to do this outside, such as by my garage (that much salt water in the house, in a bucket, on the floor, would make me nervous with the number of indoor pets we have)

Because the seahorses are sensitive to certain pests/organisms that can be introduced on the rock or something... everything I have read said it is best to do the rock yourself to avoid introducing unwanted things
That is true, but live rock will help seed/cycle your tank much faster. It also grows beneficial algae for your snails.

You can dip live rock before adding it to your tank. (They make a chemical that kills any and all pests in your rock)

The salt draws in moisture from the air and some of it dissolves in the bucket. It doesn't all dissolve but you can get moisture in the bucket with the salt if there is too much air exposed to the salt, or if the salt is left open for any length of time (a month or more).
The Instant Ocean bucket of salt has a seal around the edge and it has a super firm lid. Thatā€™s also why I suggested the bucket over the bag.

ohhhhhh ok. What is the best way to dissolve the salt? A power head in a bucket? Is it ok to do this outside, such as by my garage (that much salt water in the house, in a bucket, on the floor, would make me nervous with the number of indoor pets we have)
Yes! Measure out how much salt you need per gallons of water in the bucket. Then turn on the powerhead and leave it in there for 24 hours. (If you are doing a water change with livestock in the tank, make sure to also heat the water in the bucket)

You can dip live rock before adding it to your tank. (They make a chemical that kills any and all pests in your rock)
I have heard of using Fenbendazole, but that while it kills hydroids and bristleworms, it can harm some other tank inhabitant, and wasnā€™t sure... I do not mind waiting a while for a tank to cycle, whenever I do have the ability To set up a saltwater tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back