Rummy nose tetras

Bumping really old threads rarely serves any purpose.

I think i need to stard calling my rummy nosed tetras fireheads, because i think i have them as well. I have had a pair for over 2.5 years and their head colour changed from time to time. i thought it was a sign of illness but it never lasted long, but i am now happy that it is just a symptom of stress, but the majority of the time they are glowing bright red!!!

My rummynoses, along with my red phantom tetras all lose their color at night. Their sense of daily rhythms is so attuned that the fading starts just before the lights go out. The lights are on a timer, so their physiology evidently is in tune with the daily light/dark cycles.

Also, I recently started using peat in my filters. The results are striking: the rummynoses red faces have deepened substantially. They are redder and the red covers more area in the head region. Peat made them happier, which makes sense for "blackwater species"

This thread is really old.

But anyway it is normal for the red to completely dissappear when the lights are out. When ever I turn my lights on in the morning my rummys are basically colorless, then 15min later they are all colored up again. A majority of fish tend to loose their colors when the lights are off.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back