Rummy nose tetras

thanks the-wolf, looks like our 'rummy nose tetras' are fireheads too good to know & thank goodness they dont end up growing huge or anything i love ours & would hate to have to rehome them :D :D

Seems my "rummy nose" are actually Fireheads (H. bleheri) too. I've been jokingly calling them Rummy-headed tetras since the red coloration extends right back to the gill plates and even beyond along the top of the head. Thanks for clearing that one up for me.

I've just changed my tank with the fireheads into a
blackwater tank and they are far more active and
look much brighter now.

looking at the pics, I`d say mine were fireheads too!! are true rummy nose hard to come by? my water is hard GH15 and alkali PH8 and mine are doing really well but I think most are tank bred so they are hardier and used to not ideal water. Correct me if I`m wrong!!!

Mark.

I havn't seen any "true" rummynoses at all, and I not seen the False rummynose either.
Maybe it is a conspiracy :dunno:

:hyper: I've found some false rummynoses Whay :fun:
I am now the pround owner of 6 Petitella georgiae :thumbs:

They have immediatly schooled with the fireheads and the
difference between them is very apparent. The tail of false rummynose is much more rounded and slightly larger and the red nose is less defined.
I'll try and get some pics soon.
They were labled in the lfs (some 1hr from me) as flagtailed tetras,
which we all know doesn't exist :p

I would love to see some pics, Wolf. This rummy nose situation has caught my interest.

ok this is the best out of 50 shots
16b79267.jpg

72c88cef.jpg

now that I've studied them a bit closer you can see the false rummynoses are also slimmer in comparrison to the fireheads.

my search for ture rummynoses continues :/

It's funny i got some today, and mine have turned out to be fireheads as well.

very possible GF, did you notice any yellow on or near the tail?
if so they were indeed true rummynoses, if not they were more
than likely false rummynoses.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back