Rummy Nose Seem Stressed

777james777

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 26, 2023
Messages
392
Reaction score
125
Points
43
Location
Warrington
Hello

160 litre tank
Current fish 4x rummy (there were 12 but slowly died off and got them over 3 years ago)

There are 10 cardinal tetras and 5 Sterbai corys in there too (again use to be more but died off)

Now that my little boy is approaching one he’s becoming more demanding so the time for fish keeping for me is coming to an end (for now)

The nitrite, nitrate and ammonia levels are fine
The only change is a large piece of wood in the tank

They have lost their red noses, are staying pretty still and “breathing” a little faster

There clearly stressed

Any advice
 
Hello

160 litre tank
Current fish 4x rummy (there were 12 but slowly died off and got them over 3 years ago)

There are 10 cardinal tetras and 5 Sterbai corys in there too (again use to be more but died off)

Now that my little boy is approaching one he’s becoming more demanding so the time for fish keeping for me is coming to an end (for now)

The nitrite, nitrate and ammonia levels are fine
The only change is a large piece of wood in the tank

They have lost their red noses, are staying pretty still and “breathing” a little faster

There clearly stressed

Any advice
I hope you mean by fine the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero and the nitrate level is 10 ppm or less. How often are you doing water changes? What percent of the tank water are you replacing with each change? Can you post a picture of the fish in question?
 
Step one, the moment things seem off, is a 40% water change. Don't look at the tank through test kits, but also keep the clean water coming. That's usually what's behind pale noses in rummys.
 
The tank is cleaned every 10-14 days and was done a few days ago, the water should be clean
 
I hope you mean by fine the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero and the nitrate level is 10 ppm or less. How often are you doing water changes? What percent of the tank water are you replacing with each change? Can you post a picture of the fish in question?
Yeah zero zero and I’d say like 5 on nitrate
 
IMG_2326.webp
I have lots of this wood in there - will get a pic of fish when home!
 
Many species wash out over white substrate but this appears not to be the cause here since you say they were fully colored up before. Has the lighting changed? They're clearly unhappy about something.
 
Wow, they have really bleached out; even the tail and body have lost their colour. I know people sadly say the Rummy Nose is like a canary in a coal mine, and that the nose losing colour is the first sign of an issue, but losing all the colour is weird. Are they still feeding and acting normal?
 
In my experience there are two basic ways things can go wrong with a species in a tank. Yhe first would be easy to spot and that is something universal sych that other species are also involved.

I could not get your pics to load in the bigger version, I just got a spinning circle. But from what I ciuld see in the smaller version was that the cardinal and sterbae both looked OK.

This suggests that only the rummy are being "infected." I did a search on Google Scholar for "Diseases specific to Petitella rhodostoma" and got nothing back.

I did read that rummys are somewhat sensative to issues in general and have been called the "canary" fish in a tank. So, it may be that they are just being thee first to exhibit symptoms. But I doubt this.

Fish usually lose color because they are scared or sick. Many also tend to do so so when they "sleep." I see nothing on the tank that should be scaring them, which leaves some form of sick. Besides, very scared usually means hiding.

I wish I could offer something more concrete but this is the best I can do. Is there anything else you can see about or on them besides the loss of color and lethargy.
 
@TwoTankAmin @FattyFish @Innesfan

Firstly - thank you for your response… however I’m baffled (happy) but baffled

They have all got all their colour back and are swimming round again

Iv had loads of fish over the last 4 years in this tank and found the rummy’s were the “toughest”

It’s like nothing happened …
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2381.webp
    IMG_2381.webp
    155.7 KB · Views: 27
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    187.4 KB · Views: 29
I have two thoughts.Did this happens right after lights on in the morning? That would explain it as I expect that they wash out like that overnight. The other thing is was there something that could have scared them right before you spotted the problem? Both thing would cause them to look that way and then to recover as they did.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top