Rummy nose tetras

none whatsoever :D
I should've done this when I started the hobby :thumbs:

im not sure now i look again i think i see yellow on the bottom one as well but not on the middle one.

also wolf u should tell u manager to change the lable, firehead tetra is much appealing

One_Trick_Pony said:
also wolf u should tell u manager to change the lable, firehead tetra is much appealing
I do tell him and its like this
bang.gif

then I tell him some more untill I'm like this
wallbash_blue.gif

at that point I give up. :/

true bu have u treid the sells benfit angle fireead sounds so muhc, so much..... better tehn rummy nose

Sorry to revive the thread, but can fireheads grow to 5cm or more? Here in Australia, pretty much all the "rummynoses" being sold at LFS are fireheads, most of them are only 2-3cm when buy them.

Mine have grown in the past few months and are now about 5cm, they look exactly the same as gf225's rummys in his photo.

Is it just simply that fireheads can indeed grow to 5cm or more?

Another thing with rummynoses (fireheads) - do you notice that when they are swimming, they would constantly open and close their mouths, almost like they're gasping? Mine do that, despite them having bright red heads and at first I was worried as the neons and cardinals dont do this, but all the rummynoses I've seen at the LFS display the same trait. Is this normal? You need to look closely at your rummy's mouths to notice though

Yes they do that with their mouths, but if it is fast they could be in trouble.

I have just lost 6 to neon tetra disease and they still had bright red noses (even the corpses!) :(

As for the difference between the 3 (possibly 4) species see the following award winning article:

http://www.petsforum.com/characin/carey/ar..._rummynose.html

I love rummy's (or what ever exact sp.) nothing else can match their schooling.

CW

Sorry to hear of your loss, ntd can be very tricky. Did the rummynoses have ntd first or did the neons have them and it spreaded?

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Do you know how long rummy noses can live for?

Yes some of the cardinals I had (from the same LFS) had it first.

I have restocked and I think I am now over the problem! :D

I think they can live for 3 to 4 years... ...however, it seems they don't usually last that long! :-(

CW

I thought they could live longer, provided your tank is in tip top condition.

Apparently, cardinals are immune to NTD, so it must have been another fish that had NTD for you.

In theory yes they can live longer, but not many do!

As for the cardinals I had read that as well but the symptoms were the same as NTD, either closely realated or the same! A lot of the tetras are so similar I am not sure why cardinals would be immune!

CW

Sorry to revive the thread, but can fireheads grow to 5cm or more? Here in Australia, pretty much all the "rummynoses" being sold at LFS are fireheads, most of them are only 2-3cm when buy them.

yeah it seems that way here, i dont think i have seen any true rummy nose at all.

i got 5 of them yesterday, and today i have 3. hah. it seems they LOVE to jump out of the tank!

i put the glass back on!! :/

might stick with the harlequins, they are rad.

My fireheads (definitely Hemigrammus bleheri) are 4-5 cm. I've had them for around 18-20 months and they seem to have maxed out in length. I would say that were around 3 cm when I purchased them

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back