Restricting The Spread Of Mushrooms

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@ombomb

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I really wish I'd never added any mushrooms to my tank (I have some deep blue ones which are nice but a lot of brown ones that hitchhiked in on another frag years ago), they grow like weeds and spread all over the place.

Is there anyway other than manually removing them from rocks to keep them under control?

Are there any fish / inverts that would feed on them and thin the numbers down?

I really wish I'd never added any mushrooms to my tank (I have some deep blue ones which are nice but a lot of brown ones that hitchhiked in on another frag years ago), they grow like weeds and spread all over the place.

Is there anyway other than manually removing them from rocks to keep them under control?

you could always give them away :good:

you could always give them away :good:

+1 :good:

chop them off the rock, glue them to frag plugs and sell them.

But by killing them what do we achieve? The idea of the hobby is to conserve and enjoy, if you have an abundance of something I am sure others will be well happy to take some off your hands.

But by killing them what do we achieve? The idea of the hobby is to conserve and enjoy, if you have an abundance of something I am sure others will be well happy to take some off your hands.

people keep predatory fish and feed them live food

people (including me) buy peppermint to eat pests in their tank (and yes, mushrooms can destructive, i spotted one attached to my monti that had killed a big patch of it)

people buy harlequin shrimp that feed exclusively on starfish

etc

etc

if there is an interesting species out there that would thrive on cleaning up the pests that i have in my tank i don't see it being any different

if there's no other way than to manually remove them then so be it

Some butterfly fish will eat them I believe but I still think that if you can make a few bob selling them it's gotta be worth the time.

The thing is with softies is they can grow from the tiniest bits so unless you burn them of your rock they will always grow back.

Actually if you used a chisel and took a bit of tge LR they are attached to off that would stop them growing back.

Some butterfly fish will eat them I believe but I still think that if you can make a few bob selling them it's gotta be worth the time.

The thing is with softies is they can grow from the tiniest bits so unless you burn them of your rock they will always grow back.

Actually if you used a chisel and took a bit of tge LR they are attached to off that would stop them growing back.

this is where was coming from with original question, they grow and spread so quickly they are very hard to keep up with

a butterfly would take out way more than just the mushrooms unfortunately (assuming it didn't get bothered to death by my bad attitude tang before it got the chance)

expect to see some brown / blue mushrooms on offer in the classifieds section in the not too distant future

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back