Know your plants or disaster strikes

anewbie

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
May 30, 2021
Messages
3,588
Reaction score
4,225
Points
113
Location
usa
So here are three random pictures of plants that have grown a bit too much.

First up is some random anubia - the provider said it was nana but the leaves appear a bit larger to myself than typical nana though perhaps most of the ones i have sold as nana are really nana petite. Anyway i acquired it in a trade - i weeded what was around $200 of nurri and rather than toss them in the garbage i traded it for a crypt i wanted known as purpurea which typically goes for $7 to $15 if you can find it so he tossed in a bunch of other random stuff. This fellow was maybe a foot long when i acquired it and it seems to have added another foot in the pas 12 to 18 months:
p3.jpg


the aquarium is 48 inches long and the not welcomed fishes love hiding in its broad leaves.
-
Next up is this random crypt that i'm not sure if it is Hudoroi or Usteriana. Most likely Hudoroi - Back in Sept 10th of 2024 i purchased both plants because they originate in hard alkaline waters of Borneo (usteriana in philliphines) and i wnated to see how they did in my black water aquarium. Well not surprising both died. However being snarky i purchased 2 of each plant and put the other one in my tap water 120 (which is still soft at tds 140 but a heck of a lot harder than blackwater conditions of tds 10). Unfortunately both plants are very similar though in theory usteriana gets much taller than hudoroi but also have a very red backing the back of these leaves are more brown red and t they are in the 8 to 10 inch long which is expected of hudori - Anyway this one little its bitsy plant now covers over 2 feet wide and 2 feet back of my 120 (which is 4 feet long and 2 feet wide) in a measly 18 months. It isn't a bad plant per sey but no where as nice as my nurii which are doing ok but no where as ok as this monster. Oh well i have 3 7 inch cat fishes that live under this stuff and never show a whisker unless there is food in the open area.

For scale those are 5 inch krobia in the shadow to the left back corner and a full grown male angelfish on the right side - the lighting on this tank is a wrgb 2 which i hate because of the largely bluish tint as it lacks a white led.

p5.jpg


And last but least is one of my crypt balansae. It isn't really quite that bad - i have one grown emersed that looks almost the same but that one has started to spread across my emersed setup which is very naughty:

p1.jpg
 
Last edited:
So here are three random pictures of plants that have grown a bit too much.

First up is some random anubia - the provider said it was nana but the leaves appear a bit larger to myself than typical nana though perhaps most of the ones i have sold as nana are really nana petite. Anyway i acquired it in a trade - i weeded what was around $200 of nurri and rather than toss them in the garbage i traded it for a crypt i wanted known as purpurea which typically goes for $7 to $15 if you can find it so he tossed in a bunch of other random stuff. This fellow was maybe a foot long when i acquired it and it seems to have added another foot in the pas 12 to 18 months:
Are you saying that this anubias emerging from the water is one plant? That whole foot of it?
 
Very nice! I'm guessing hudorii too. I had usteriana that a friend sent with big bullated leaves. Not that it grew like that for me, lol. It wasn't as happy in my soft water even with crushed coral in the filter. I love my nurii! It's the "Pahang mutated". Pretty leaves & spreads nicely, not too densely, sort of a loose 3 inch almost ground cover. Balansae never does well for me. It doesn't die but doesn't spread or get bullation either like it does for others.

I think your anubias is nana too. Petite is smaller & more round leaves for me. Have you ever grown a. barteri? That was by far my fastest grower of so-called slow growth plants.

Is that a vallisnaria looking overly happy with your anubias? I had 2 types of what I call "jungle val". 1 was more narrow (like yours?) the other slightly wider.
 
Last edited:
jungle val is pretty wide around 1 inch; normal is around 1/2 inch or a bit less; That is nana val which is around 1/4 inch wide - there is a daily something or other variety of nana val that is patterned - i have a bit of that scatter in a few aquariums. It is a bit more brown like from the pattern the nana val in this aquarium is the sold green sort. In general i prefer nana val these days because all vals grow a bit too eagerly in my environment - the longer the tank the longer the leaves and my 'plain' val has leaves as long as 60 inches (though i suppose it can grow longer). corkscrew val which i have in one aquarium seem to grow a bit more constrained but also not quite as well.
 
I call that wide val "giant" not jungle. I know better than to plant that 1 ;) My so called jungle vals, like yours, is 1/4 inch wide, the thinner ~1/8 inch & not quite as tall. It may have been "leopard" or "tiger" but didn't have markings in my tank. It didn't like Excel & gradually got shorter until I ripped it out...or so I thought. When I finally got rid of BBA, I quit using Excel & 2 or 3 years later, lo & behold it started growing again! I must have missed some roots but golly! that was a surprise!

Not as surprising, the crypts came back too. I used to remove bba infected leaves so there were none often. I don't remember what crypts they were, mostly wendtii types, nothing too special as I recall. 1 seems taller than usual; it 1 has a pale whitish midrib with bullated leaves. I haven't fed them lately, I like to tear down the tank & start over...eventually. Too much other stuff to deal with these days.
 
I call that wide val "giant" not jungle. I know better than to plant that 1 ;) My so called jungle vals, like yours, is 1/4 inch wide, the thinner ~1/8 inch & not quite as tall. It may have been "leopard" or "tiger" but didn't have markings in my tank. It didn't like Excel & gradually got shorter until I ripped it out...or so I thought. When I finally got rid of BBA, I quit using Excel & 2 or 3 years later, lo & behold it started growing again! I must have missed some roots but golly! that was a surprise!

Not as surprising, the crypts came back too. I used to remove bba infected leaves so there were none often. I don't remember what crypts they were, mostly wendtii types, nothing too special as I recall. 1 seems taller than usual; it 1 has a pale whitish midrib with bullated leaves. I haven't fed them lately, I like to tear down the tank & start over...eventually. Too much other stuff to deal with these days.
I think you are mistaken - regular val is v. spiralis - jungle val is vallisneria americana; the numbers i gave were not formally measured but just a guess and perhaps i should formally measure them. The pattern nana vall is val nana little yabba creek. All vals i have own will grow longer than any aquarium i have owned if given long enough time 'cept for corkscrew.

More searching - there is a variance of val americna calld val americana var gigantea that is slightly wider.
 
Last edited:
My "jungle" vals are likely either spiralis or another species I can't recall ATM but maybe natans (sounds small or thin doesn't it?) or americana?. They only grow to 30-36 inches or so; the thinner 24-30. I've had "dwarf val" with 3-6+ inch straight leaves (similar to sagittaria but shorter & lighter green. In good light it's easier to tell, vals have lighter vertical "windows" in their leaves; sags don't). & "Italian" corkscrew (really asiatica) that grow ~6-10+ inches. But there are more species/varieties both "wild" all over the world & bred types. Yes, I think the inch wide x 6 ft is americana gigantea but like many places "the americas" have at least a few kinds.

So hard to say between common names & confused latin 1s. I go with local club common names since I can't be sure & say size mine are & growing conditions when I bring any to meets.

At least vals are not like crypts where there 1000s of species & maybe some bred varieties too.
 
Oh @GaryE, you do your wild African fish & we love that! @anewbie & I will obsess over our plant's IDs, lol. To each their particular area of too much interest ATM :D It's all good!
 
And today we introduce you to Süsswassertang. I've had a tiny bit of this stuff for about 10 years but usually it doesn't grow much due to combination of aquarium being too warm or water being too hard. It loves cool very soft acidic water:

All of these pictures are from the same 24x48 aquarium (approx 95 gallons):
Back against the matten filter:
pp2.webp
pp4.webp


And up front in the front right corner:

This is actually growing on top of a curved piece of drift wood that makes an arch against the glass and is one of the favorite breeding spots of the critters i have since they can swim through the stuff easy enough lay their eggs against the wood and sense uninvited guess if they moved the grass above them.

pp1.webp
 
We started with this around 2 3/4 years ago:
lineta_may_2023.webp

And now we are stuck with this because we chose the wrong plants:
(front and back)
q1.webp
q2.webp
 
I'm sure there are no complaints from the fish.
 
I'm sure there are no complaints from the fish.
You know - i tried asking them that very question; and all they do is stare at me and say "feed me feed me feed me"
 

Most reactions

Back
Top