Rescue Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I actually was considering a gold gourami as a focus fish.  

just googled it as I've not heard of that one but it's related to the blue gourami and so should be unaffected by the disease :)

yes, it is a 3 spot.  I was going to get a blue...but my daughter said the gold would look better.  who am I to argue?  :D

hahahaha yes, us girls have our ways of getting what we want ... especially from Daddy lol

Gourami Update.

So I got bored and rebuilt the Gouramis tank, Its a work in progress.

Prepare 50 litres of water and preheat it. Add De chrorinator and Easy-Life fluid filter medium.
I washed all the new black sand well. That cost $50.

Tank break down.
I turned off my filter and heater.

I filled the bath with water took all the plants and driftwood out of the tank and put them in the bath.
Next I half emptied the tank into a few buckets and put the water aside.
Next I caught the Gourami ( He is so upset with me atm ) and put him in one of the buckets with an airstone going, I covered the bucket just in case.
Next I caught the snails ( that was hard ) and put them in the bucket with the Gourami.
Now the fun bit, Catching all the shrimp, There were 11 adults and 6 babies. I did my best here but by now the water in the tank was murky.
I then dug out the old gravel with my fish catching net.
And finally I used a big hose to syphon out the rest of the water, This also allowed to to vac up all the rubbish.

Rebuild.
Put nice new washed sand in the tank.
Arrange driftwood that was in the bathtub, making sure there is a nice big cave under the big bit in the left corner,
Half fill the tank with the water I prepared earlier.
Add some plants.
Add the water I saved in buckets earlier.
Re introduce the Gourami snails and shrimp to the tank.
Wait for it all to settle and the water to clear up.

I do understand I have probably created a mini cycle in the tank. To minimise this naturally I did not touch the filter's I made sure all the wood and plants did not dry out, All I can do now is keep an eye on the water for about 2 weeks and change as needed.

34g1ojr.jpg

looks good! And all in one day! Mine's still half re-built as I just ran out of steam last night. I'm hoping to return my fish later today 

The plants have to grow in, As it looks like we are going to be together for a long time ( I hope ) I looked around at a few Gourami tanks and came up with that. There are 4 bolt holes for him and a big cave, He has spent the last 2 hours just cursing around in and out of the caves under and thru all the plants, He seems to be exploring. I may even get him a girlfriend?

And all in one day!
Yes.

Nice :nod:

Keep up the good work, this tank has turned out to be a good 'un!

(Maybe even ToTM ;) )

The water has cleared up a bit.
fuc8xg.jpg

I remodled a bit, I can't help my self LOL,
avfxva.jpg

He has developed a taste for Hikari carnivore pellets lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=ZU8dQzsEcDU&app=desktop

The long arm shrimp was not letting go of that carnivore pellet lol.

I bit the bullet, And got a female Lace Gourami for boof head, There was no fighting or anything 3 hours after I put her in the tank they were swimming around like they been together for years, She is half his size. Sorry Betta keepers Gouramis are way nicer. The yellowish water are tannins from IAL and peatmoss.
15nkcpd.jpg

aww glad you got him a friend and it's worked out :)

Still no fighting, He only chases her when she buggs him, For example he will be chilling picking at the loach wafer on the bottom and she comes along and starts flicking him with her feelers and he chases her around the tank for a bit, No sooner has he stopped chasing her she is back to flicking him with her feelers and yes he chases her, At other times they swim together and he even dont mind sharing the carnivore pellet I put in the tank.

Thats normal light mode for the tank, I do run full light for 6 hours a day in the morning then dim down, It is just a bit brighter in real life. All the fish prefer subdued lighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrH_bIrXmA4&feature=youtu.be

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back