Rescue Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lol! I never saw either of mine eating bloodworms but they they ate everything else you've mentioned. The only problem I had with mine was my soft acidic water ruined their shells
sad.png

My netrites seem fine with my soft water though so it must have just been an apple snail thing

This is one of mine ... aww I miss him 
wub.png

004-7_zpsaa63d83b.jpg

First things first, no kids at home, nor grandkids. But do have a jealous dog, (daddy is not supposed to pay attention to those nasty old fish, or mama for that matter, only him). Also have a wife, so it's a standoff as to who's stuff fills the house.
Secondly I am in Akasha's boat for the soft acidic water, great for my South American stock, rubbish for snails.

lol! I never saw either of mine eating bloodworms

If we look cute and wait, Master might give us blood worms.
14ybpr9.jpg

When they sit like that I use an eye dropper to carefully place some blood worm in front of the snail. After a few times of this you will find the snails will come to the top of the tank like that about the same time each day.

They love blood worm and brine shrimp.

r9pmr5.jpg

Gourami Update.

I moved the Gourami to the 6 foot tank thinking he would be happy and he was for a few days chasing the other fish and swimming around, However I noticed he was getting shy, Not swimming up to get food, hiding, and generally not looking happy, so I moved him back into my 2 foot tank with my shrimp snails and pleco, 48 hours latter he is eating like a pig, Still a bit shy hides when somebody approaches the tank however that changes when that somebody feeds him, He is also starting to venture back out into the tank.  As Gouramis like floating plants for cover and duckweed is Illegal in the state I live in ( Noxious weed ) I decided to try Azolla mosquito fern, water fern (1 packet measuring 5cm x 7.5cm) and water lilies.

Water params.
Size 400 Lt 100 Gallon.
6 Foot.
PH 7.2
Amm. 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
GH/KH???
Temp 26 deg c
Stock Mollies Platys Clown Loach BN Pleco, In total about 15 fish.

2 Foot
70 lt 15 Gallon.
PH 7.2
Amm. 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
GH/KH???
Temp 28deg c

Stock. 3 apple snails BN Pleco Unknown number of Cherry and Glass shrimp, And now one happier looking Pearl Gourami.

I was at a large fish store chain yesterday (Maidenhead Aquatics) and they has 2 tanks containing baby apple snails. I got all excited for a second and said to the staff member I was chatting to about them. He told me they're still not allowed to sell them (thanks to the EU sticking their noses where it's not welcome nor wanted) but he hopes in the future they will be allowed to again. Personally I think he's dreaming ... the only way they will ever be allowed for sale in this country again is if we leave the EU. It breaks my heart ... I so wish I could have another apple snail 
sad1.gif

I was at a large fish store chain yesterday (Maidenhead Aquatics) and they has 2 tanks containing baby apple snails
Can you by chance buy a plant or 2 from the tank that has the babies? Hitch Hikers happen, Its how I ended up with Rams Head snails.

I think they are great pets and easy to look after, Just 1 thing people who own Snails Plecos and other " Tank cleaners" please remember to feed them,  And add some cuttle fish bone to the tank.

Snails do not require a lot. They need clean water, just like fish. A pH from 6 to 7.5 is acceptable. Keep in mind, however, that a lower pH is acidic. This acidic environment can degrade a snails shell, which is made of calcium. So, don't let the pH drop too low. Salinity and Copper are two substances that should be completely avoided because these are toxic to aquatic snails. Contrary to popular belief, the snails do need to be feed specifically. In a tank with fish, the snail will not be able to compete for food. The snail could die if it is not fed separately. Look father down this page for "snail jello", a creative, homemade snail food recipe. Not only can the snails starve, but a bad diet results in bad shell health. A snail (unlike a hermit crab) cannot survive without its shell. So, any cracks or thin spots in the shell can be life threatening to the snail. this is why it is very important to have calcium available in the water. The snail can reinforce its shell with this calcium. This can be done by adding cuttlebone to aquarium. Cuttlebone is intended for birds, but it is safe for in an aquarium. It comes cheap, in big pieces. Just break a piece off and weigh it down with a rock. Your snails will come and just sit on it, absorbing the calcium. They will also ingest/eat it directly. Some snails are also very good for eating/cleaning up algae.
http://www.thenemosomen.com/page6.shtml

hahaha that would never happen. Not with apple snails

They are banned in the U.K and so if they even give me a snail for free they are still breaking the law. It's pathetic

Gourami is doing great, Looks like all is forgiven at feeding time he comes to the top of the tank again, He mainly spends the rest of the day head down bum up looking for food or picking at some plant or other looking for food.

Akasha72 said:

They are banned in the U.K and so if they even give me a snail for free they are still breaking the law. It's pathetic

why are they banned in the UK?

NickAu said:
Gourami is doing great, Looks like all is forgiven at feeding time he comes to the top of the tank again, He mainly spends the rest of the day head down bum up looking for food or picking at some plant or other looking for food.

I hope to one day have a gourami myself.  Im glad things are working out.  Tank looks amazing.

Vethian said:

Apple snails are now illegal to import due to being an invasive specie.

There were colonies of apple snails found in eastern Spain in the Ebro River Delta and that river was already filled with other invasive species such as certain catfish and carp so the colony of apple snails pushed the boundaries too far so therefore the EU banned european imports of Apple Snails.

hi Vethian, they are banned because Britain is part of the E.U and the E.U parlement banned their sale and export because they class them as an invasive species. The only way to get one is to find a someone locally with a breeding pair who has some babies and 'aquire' one .. *nudge nudge, wink wink* so long as no money changes hands no crime has been committed.

This is one of the reasons why I want our country to get out of the E.U. I'm sick of these un-elected nut jobs telling us what we can and can't do. It makes me ashamed to be British in all honesty.
I'll be going to vote tomorrow and I'll be making those feelings known ;)

Ch4rlie said:

Apple snails are now illegal to import due to being an invasive specie.

There were colonies of apple snails found in eastern Spain in the Ebro River Delta and that river was already filled with other invasive species such as certain catfish and carp so the colony of apple snails pushed the boundaries too far so therefore the EU banned european imports of Apple Snails.

Makes sense to some degree.  This has been done to several animals in the US and it opened up a huge black market for some of these animals.  Interesting.

Ch4rlie and I posted at the same time there!

Vethian, get a Gourami or four, 3 females and 1 male if a group, you won't be sorry.

Everyone else, when will the E.U and the U.N. finally classify the most invasive species...humans?

can I just add to the Gourami thing as Vethian possibly won't know being new to the hobby....

The dwarf gourami is now infected with a disease that is incurable. If you want one I'd look at the non-dwarf variety until they've found a cure for dwarf gourami disease.
I like gourami's myself - but I like the dwarf varieties but until the experts find out where this disease is coming from and how it can be cured I won't consider them at all. I'd be bereft to get a fish only to watch it die a few days or weeks later :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back