Replacing the black carbon sponge

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CraigDalton

Reaction score
Hi there I have the bioflow L juwel filter and I currently have the black carbon sponge out as I am medicating my fish but it made me wonder how ofter should I replace that sponge? Does the carbon become inactive in a certain period of time and what really does it do if someone could help me that would be great.

Thanks

Carbon adsorbs stuff over time and is not normally necessary in an aquarium. I usually suggest throwing the carbon away and just replacing it with a sponge. You can buy sponges for various filters and use a pair of scissors to cut it to size. Sponges last for years and you simply squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water every few weeks and re-use them.

And ignore what the instructions say about replacing the rest of the media. Sponges will last for years, just wash them in water taken out at a water change. The only thing that does need replacing is the white pad as it goes into holes after a couple of washes. It is cheaper to buy a length of filter wool from a roll (Ebay, Amazon) and use a white pad as a template to cut it up.

Hi there I have the bioflow L juwel filter and I currently have the black carbon sponge out as I am medicating my fish but it made me wonder how ofter should I replace that sponge? Does the carbon become inactive in a certain period of time and what really does it do if someone could help me that would be great.

Thanks

As near as I can tell, carbon impregnated foam ages the same a tray full of carbon does. It adsorbs tiny particles, until it simply can't hold any more. It can't be cleaned by rinsing after a certain point. I replaced some 40PPI CI foam a week ago with 60PPI and it frankly works a lot better in terms of water clarity.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back