Random Discussion

Does anyone here know about archery and stuff?

I am interested in it at the moment but too scared to tried it as I might be shaky and shoot my eyes out, you know?

If you manage to shoot your eye out with archery equipment, you must have done something very bad in your past and might have had that coming. Realistically, I don't see how that is possible. However, anyone who has ever gotten into archery knows that getting slapped by your bowstring on your forearm can and does happen. It is painful, but isn't a life threatening event. Also, never dry fire your bow. My father did once and it is very impressive when a bow limb shatters. Scary impressive and can cause serious injury. But overall, archery is a safe sport as long as your treat it with the same respect as you would any other form of weaponry.

What would you like to know about archery?

If you manage to shoot your eye out with archery equipment, you must have done something very bad in your past and might have had that coming. Realistically, I don't see how that is possible. However, anyone who has ever gotten into archery knows that getting slapped by your bowstring on your forearm can and does happen. It is painful, but isn't a life threatening event. Also, never dry fire your bow. My father did once and it is very impressive when a bow limb shatters. Scary impressive and can cause serious injury. But overall, archery is a safe sport as long as your treat it with the same respect as you would any other form of weaponry.

What would you like to know about archery?
I have done archery a few years ago and it was pretty fun. I lost interest though as we had to move house.

It’s the neighbour kids, one of them managed to get rubberband sticks to the finger and have to cut it and one of them managed to almost fired in to the eye because parents don’t look at them

I'm thinking something got lost in translation here. :lol:

Archery is fine as long as you are sensible, and you seem to be quite sensible Barry.

People that shoot themselves with an arrow are, how do I put this politely, fuplie idiots. There's plenty of them on YouTube and other TV shows. People that jump off buildings and try to race wheelie bins down the road. People that have a lower IQ than a dead animal on the side of the road. They should be sterilised so they can't breed.

I was using a bow and arrow and making them when I was 6 years old. If I can learn to make one by myself and not shoot myself or anyone else, then I'm sure you can.

-------------------
First rule of archery, pointy bit goes towards the target.

Second rule of archery, never aim pointy bit at a living creature unless you are hungry and plan on eating the evidence.

They are perfectly safe as long as you don't go around pointing them at people. They are safer than a gun and you can't really kill yourself with a bow and arrow. A few people might shoot themselves in the foot but they are inbred halfwits that have no right using air to breathe.

You can buy leather wrist guards so the drawstring doesn't hit you on the wrist when you release the arrow.

-------------------
Arrows are a bleeding weapon so if you shoot something, it causes the animal to bleed out, unless you hit it in the head or heart and that is not always easy to do.

If you are just doing target practice you use arrows with a target head. These are small smooth ends on the arrow that don't rip a big hole in the target. They are easy to get out of the target board too.

Hunting arrows have a broad head, usually in the shape of a V, and these are designed to cut a large section of tissue when they pass thru the skin. If you pull these arrows out, you usually rip a big chuck of flesh out with them.

There are arrows used to hunt fish and they have a couple of wires on the end that flare out after the arrow has gone through the fish. This stops the fish sliding off the end of the arrow when you pull it back in. Fish hunting arrows have a thin line tied to the rear part of the arrow so you can retrieve the catch.

-------------------
You can buy bows or make your own from a piece of pvc pipe and a length of cord.

Most arrows these days come in pieces and you buy the tips, shaft and feathers separately. Back in the olden days we either made them from dowel, or bought arrows that were one piece and either had a target, hunting or fish head/ tip on them. Nowadays they are all interchangeable.

I don't know who Legolas is.

I don't think bows make people look cool, just like guns don't make people look cool. If it's in a movie, then someone carrying a bow and arrows can look cool if they are in the right setting, but weapons don't make people cool.

1970s muscle cars are cool.
The Fonz from happy Days was cool.
Denim jeans used to be cool but they aren't that comfortable.
Big hair and perms used to be cool back in the day but aren't today. :)

Don't bother about trying to be cool, just be yourself. Enjoy what you do, live life to the fullest and be grateful you can walk and talk and look after yourself.

If people don't like you because your not cool, ignore them and find some better people to hang out with. :)

@Barry Tetra , check my avatar. :) I currently have an almost-finished hickory longbow in the vice out in the garage. It's the first one I've made myself and I'm really excited to finish tillering and start putting some arrows through it. (this is the main thing that is delaying my rice paddy biotope tank--I don't have room on the workbench for both) I'm learning that making bows is a lot like hunting with bows: There are many, many ways to screw it up. :lol: I'm not surprised to find some fellow archers on this forum.

Barry, only traditional bows make you look cool like Legolas. And I will add that, once you get the hang of it, they make you feel a bit like Legolas, too. The wheelie bows don't put me in the Legolas zone. It's sort of like the difference between hiking up a mountain or driving there: In the end, it isn't about looking cool; it's about the sense of accomplishment you get from doing something the difficult way. Anybody ever check out the primitive archer forum? Great bunch of people over there. Google it. tell them I sent you. :)

@Colin_T Hang in there, cousin. Don't do anything stupid--you're better than that. There is always light and darkness, but something about Darkness makes you think that's all there is. It sucks that you don't seem to have "real world" people, but you are valued and appreciated by many.

@Flushable Pets What, is eating cats not a family friendly topic? Well, I guess the Badgerling will have something to talk to the school counselors about, then... :whistle:

Also...does bow makes me look cool like Legolas?

This is the only reason I’m interested in it lol

Bows are cool. Guns are cool. Vintage muscle cars are cool. But possessing them does not automatically make a person cool. A person must already be cool. Cool isn't a look or an accessory. It's who you are inside that defines your level of cool. If you feel that you need weapons or cars or name brand clothing to make you cool, you are getting them for the wrong reasons.

And funny that you mentioned Legolas. We are actually watching The Fellowship of the Rings right now. You can be Legolas. Gimli is much cooler, anyways.

Most reactions

Back