Quick Question...

Paradise3

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I have a 15 gallon tank with 1 male albino paradise fish, 1 female krib and 1 male krib.
I introduced the male slowly because I didn't want any fighting or anything so I kept him in the tank next to the 15 gallon. I cleaned the tank out and added 2 medium plant pot's for them to breed in and slowly added the male. They were both interested in each other while he was in the bag and when I first released him they were swimming around next to each other but since then, she's chased him so much and he's just running away from her.
Why has she suddenly started this? Katerina(the female) is about 1" - 1 1/2" and Damon(the male) is about 2".
I know they are both still young so could it be playing or is she trying to tell him she's ready to breed, but he doesn't want to?

Cheers,
Alessa!

Are they actually doing eachother any damage? If not then just leave them alone for awhile and see if it settles. I doubt it's 'playing', but it might not be serious enough that they need seperating.

It may well be that she wants to breed and he doesn't.

I don't see any injuries or anything so it might not be too bad.

Cheers,
Alessa!

I would suggest taking both of them out of the tank, and re-arranging the decor. Also, they may end up attacking your paradise fish over time. They like to pick on their feelers.

He doesn't have any feelers. I did re-arrange it all... It's all completely different and there's new decor in the tank...

Cheers,
Alessa!

I have never kept paradise fish, but the last one I saw did have them, therefore I assumed yours did as well. Did you re-arrange with both of them out of the tank? or with the female still in there? If she was still in there, she has an idea of the lay of the tank. If not, then I am unsure of what advice to give you.

They were both out because I did it after I had just re-filled the tank and was waiting for it to settle and warm up.

Cheers,
Alessa!

What are the tank dimensions?, 15g sounds to small. If its relentless chasing id split them up. Theres only so much a fish can take and will stress and then die. Are they definatley male and female?. cheers

He doesn't have any feelers. I did re-arrange it all... It's all completely different and there's new decor in the tank...

Cheers,
Alessa!
Paradise Fish do have feelers, its just that most of the time, they keep them tucked away. If you look at Paradise fish in the dark, he should have his feelers out :good:

What are the tank dimensions?, 15g sounds to small. If its relentless chasing id split them up. Theres only so much a fish can take and will stress and then die. Are they definatley male and female?. cheers

A 15g is fine. I know plenty of people who breed them in 10 g's. Now you can't keep the fry in there, but the parents can be.

just keep in mind kribs can be vicious while breeding, and may eliminate anything in its path.

I've had to put him back in the tank next to the 15g, she was just getting worse. I'll wait till they have grown up a little bit and then I'll re-arrange the tank and slowly re-introduce.

Cheers,
Alessa!

Now I'm confused. I think, from what I've read and been told, the male is getting ready to breed. He is developing a bright pink belly and chin area and his colours have really intensified. They are also staying next to the glass facing each other a lot more now.

Cheers,
Alessa!

Most reactions

Back