Question In Relation To Fishless Cycling, Advice Appreciated Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MatTheFish

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I bought some pure ammonia off ebay actually for fishless cycling, it's very concentrate 35%.

I know how much to use by using online calculator.

I also own Seachem Prime and Easy-Life ProFito Fertiliser for live plants (liquid formula).

Once i got everything setup including life plants.

1) Shall i just fill tank then add the seachem prime, then leave it all running for 24 hours then add the ammonia?

reason i ask is as seachem prime removes ammonia and all the other stuff if i add the ammonia before seachem prime the seachem prime will remove the ammonia. i added i take it?

Which way around shall i use both products? and how long before i add second product after first?

Also the plant Fertiliser shall i add that in meaning there is going to be live plants in the tank when adding the other two products. Not sure which order and time between them to add products.

Thanks for any help.

Kind Regards,
Mathew

I think I made the same mistake and tried fishless cycling with plants in. But it doesn't matter. But yes, your logic is correct,
you don't want to add ammonia and a product that removes ammonia at the same time! You only need a tiny amount of that Ammonia,
and wait until it's just about down to zero (don't top up each day!) 

Sorry, to answer your question, I would start using the Prime when your cycling is done.

Prime doesn't remove ammonia, it just changes it into a form that is less toxic for fish but still able to be used by the filter bacteria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back