Question about goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jen

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I want to know more about them... how much room they need, if they can tolerate heat, if they like to have more to shoal with yadda yadda yadda.

Reason I'm asking... I have two small tanks that I dont know what to do with. one is a fry tank, 5 gal with sponge filter and external filter, heater and light. Soon the fry will be out and i dont want to tear down the tank. My other is this little tiny probably half galon 'candy' tank... the little 5inch by 5 inch jobber with a filter and a light - no heater. would that be ok for a goldfish? or maybe some feeder guppies?

thank you

Goldfish need at least 10 gallons per fish as they are very messy and can grow quite large. I would increase this to 15 gallons for Comets as they are fast swimming fish who need more room. They can be kept together or singularly, they can tolerate heat but it is not advised as their metabolic system is designed for cooler temperatures. You could try fish like Golden Minnow or White Cloud Montain Minnows as your tanks aren't big enough for Goldfish.

I totally agree :crazy: stick to small fish as goldfish need room to grow and they grow very quickly, people buy goldfish thinking they are easy fish to keep, when in fact they are "I think" harder than tropical because they grow big and are very messy fish "although lovely" trying to keep their water clean and in tip top condition is not easy and takes alot of maintenance and work, so the largest tank possible is best. I do know as I have been keeping them for over 30 years :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back