Protozin Whitespot Treatment

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emilythestrange

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i have added the first dose of protozin to treat the whitespot in my tank, my heater in the tank is set to 26 C, I dosed correctly and read the bottle, yet it doesnt say anything about raising the heat in the tank.

Should I raise the heater temp or not? Would it work without as well.. and if i do raise it how should i go about this?

Any replies appreciated.

:huh:

When my tank caught ich, I added the whitespot treatment without raising the temp and it was gone in 1 week, TBH I dont think it will make a huge difference anyway

When my tank caught ich, I added the whitespot treatment without raising the temp and it was gone in 1 week, TBH I dont think it will make a huge difference anyway

Experienced fishkeepers can gradually raise temperture slightly as an alternative to using chemicals but you have to have an in depth knowledge of the maxium temperture and side effects. When using Protozin there is no need to raise the teperature unless your tank was too cold to start with. 26 deg C is a good temperture and raising it any higher reduces oxygen levels and stresses fish, bacteria and plants. I only use Waterlife products and if you stick to the instructions they are as good as it gets. Consider and eliminate the root cause of the outbreak to avoid it returning. Be patient and trust the treatment instructions!

Experienced fishkeepers can gradually raise temperture slightly as an alternative to using chemicals but you have to have an in depth knowledge of the maxium temperture and side effects. When using Protozin there is no need to raise the teperature unless your tank was too cold to start with. 26 deg C is a good temperture and raising it any higher reduces oxygen levels and stresses fish, bacteria and plants. I only use Waterlife products and if you stick to the instructions they are as good as it gets. Consider and eliminate the root cause of the outbreak to avoid it returning. Be patient and trust the treatment instructions!

Thanks ! Will post back to say how the treatment went.

I do a 90% wc clean my decor and keep the water in the tank low bring the temp up to 89F and treat with coppersafe. With in a day I see a differance I run the copper with the heat for a week. Then after that week I do another huge wc of 80% and only keep the water temp up 89F for another week this will take care of any that might have lived. Then I bring the temp back down after that week. It seems to work everytime. I keep sa cichlids and catfish never had a death from this treatment.

In my discus tank I bring the temp up to 91F if I add new fish or see them flash. Never have had an ich problem in that tank.

Salt works well with heat.

I do a 90% wc clean my decor and keep the water in the tank low bring the temp up to 89F and treat with coppersafe. With in a day I see a differance I run the copper with the heat for a week. Then after that week I do another huge wc of 80% and only keep the water temp up 89F for another week this will take care of any that might have lived. Then I bring the temp back down after that week. It seems to work everytime. I keep sa cichlids and catfish never had a death from this treatment.

In my discus tank I bring the temp up to 91F if I add new fish or see them flash. Never have had an ich problem in that tank.

Salt works well with heat.

What works in one set up could be fatal in another due to the many variables between set-ups, especially those that affect biological and chemical oxygen demand. Big Cichlids can be robust especially in unplanted tanks but when less experienced fishkeepers dabble with temperature and big water changes it can result in serious imbalances that threaten bacteria, plants and fish. I've been using Protozin for 28 years and it works every time on white spot so why risk draconian measures in the final stages of success.

Just as i thought everything was going well...

I have added the treatment on days 1 & 3 (3 being tonight), however after re looking, its says on the bottle : - Treat on days 1, 2, 3 and 6.

What should i do ? Need urgent replies on this one please !

I'd say add the third dose tomorrow night, then the fourth and final dose three evenings after that. But that's just what I would do...

personally I'd carry on s though you added the treatment on day 2 and follow the treatment from then on, i recently did something similar with one of my tanks. But i don't think it should matter that much which ever way you choose

I'm on my second day of treatment and I'm really impressed, the couple of white spots are just gone! It's a releif too coz I was secretly concerned they had NTD. Unless they did and it as the fake one which as I understand it can be cured.

Still touching wood though just in case.

Maybe you should treat days 3 and 4 seeing as you missed 2 and then do the last dose on day 7 not 6?

One Fish Died Last Night, No on the body symptons, hadn't seen that particular one flick or anything, looked fine to me on saturday night :(

I did add the missed second dose on day 4... so should i wait until wednesday to add the next one?

And also should i repeat the treatment's course and do another week of it to clear it up completly, im worried because i still would like to add more fish when this is dealt with, however im worried that any fish will bring in whitespot, as the majority in my LFS's i have seen flick/rub.
After the final dose on wednesday *depending on what you suggest* how much would should i change & on what day.

Sorry for all the questions !

Hi. Protozin is the one I and my lfs uses and we swear by it. I never increase the temperature whilst using it.

Personally I recommend you carry on the treatment as per the instructions, however, whitespot is only susceptible to medication when it is in its free swimming stage of life, ie, once it has detached itself from the fish host. So if your day of not dosing is on the day that the 'spots' are disappearing then you will miss the chance to kill the parasite, therefore you will need to run a second course. In between courses, you need to do a large water change and good gravel vacuum.

I use protozin, its the only ich med I use, however, I dont start dosing until I have raised the temperature, raising the temperature speeds up the life cycle of the ich parasite, then I start medication on the 3rd day (after seeing the initial spots), as this tends to be around the time the parasite is leaving the host body and vulnerable to medication, then carry on the course as instructed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back