Prince Philip died

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

France has more tourists than the U.K. every year. People come to the U.K. primarily because of the language, not a slight chance of seeing the Queen. I’ve lived and worked in London for nigh on 40yrs and seen her twice, once was at a Buck House Garden Party. Thats the same number of US Presidents as I’ve seen.
The poverty within an hours drive from Buck House tells me theyre an outdated concept. I just hope future generations see through them inna way that previous ones haven’t.
As has been seen recently on both sides of the Atlantic:Its easier to fool people than convince them they’ve been fooled.

Phil The Greek deserves respect for his war service but not for living a luxurious lifestyle funded by taxpayers of which the majority have less than four months wages as savings.

The same TV programme is on BBC1 & BBC2 right now. BBC4 is closed down at the moment. Madness. Youd almost think that the powers that be are scared the people need prodding in the direction of caring. It’s the 21st year of the 21st century! This country needs to move into it ASAP.
Yes I studied in London for a month in 2005 and never did visit the palace. I did a lot of sightseeing but that just wasn’t one of the things I was interested in seeing.

A man died today. Some loved him. Others did not. To those close to him, I am sure the loss is personal and deep. Can anything be more or less said of any of us when our time comes? RIP to a man who sounds as perfect, as flawed, and perhaps most importantly, as human as the rest of us.

I read that salutes of gun batteries will take place across the UK every minute for 40 minutes.

Last edited:
.......by “tourism, merchandising and the arts”!
What does that even mean? What sort of idiotic readers does that paper think they have?
Did they ask every single tourist to add up every royal family connected penny they spent during their visit in one column and every other penny of expenditure in another? Does a coffee bought at a Green Park coffee hut on the way to see Buck House go in one column and one bought on the way from Buck House back to the tube station at the same hut go in the other column?

If a tourist intends to see the changing of the guard during their visit to London does ALL of their spending get included? If so then surely if they also intend going to see one of the Tate Gallery’s then ALL of their spending money should be gathered up under the arts banner......or a sporting event under the Sports banner......or a band under the rock roll banner?

I for one am not allowing a rag like The Sunday POST to insult my intelligence. I suggest forumers from around the globe do likewise.
The fact that I have a different point of view to you doesn’t make me an idiot!
The newspaper I quoted was the first source of information I came across to support my view. Disagree with my view by all means, but please don’t insult me personally.

My dad, as was his brother, were in the Scots Guards (they were from Edinburgh). I love the tradition that they swore allegiance to the Crown, not the country, in case of civil war. I’ve seen my dad change the guard at Buckingham Palace.
The Royal family needs streamlining, in my view, but the benefits they bring to our country still outweigh the negatives.

What about real ale! The brits have the best ale, can't beat a nice bitter...

Long live CAMRA
We do have quite a selection of good beer, but then there's also some incredible "craft" stuff coming over from your way too. Admittedly, probably not CAMRA worthy, but to be honest I think CAMRA is as outdated as the monarchy. The beers that the CAMRA folk revere wouldn't exist without them being a 'craft' beer to begin with.
Theres an argument for both - CAMRA are running a good regulatory commity and the craft kids are making some truely delicious yet odd, beers. One group are viewed from the outside as 50yr+ old arrogant, stuck in their ways blokes and the other are young, annoying beanie wearing "progressive" hiptsers. At the end of the day, if the beer in your pint glass is delicious, then you're having a good day regardless.

but to be honest I think CAMRA is as outdated as the monarchy. The beers that the CAMRA folk revere wouldn't exist without them being a 'craft' beer to begin with.
Just to be clear, I thought initially CAMRA supported real ale defined as live ale ie: the yeast is still alive, cask conditioned and pulled (pumped) from the cask (or keg). The concern was becoming a nation dominated by highly industrialized beer ie: like the USA. CAMRA may no longer be needed with the rise of craft beers. Here in the USA, much credit goes to Anchor Brewing (Anchor Steam Ale) which was rescued by Fritz Maytag in 1965.

Beers/ale does not travel well and I rarely buy imported beer. The USA has a healthy craft beer market, the young kids are quite knowledgeable on the many different kinds of beer. Much has changed in the past 30 years.

The Royal family needs streamlining, in my view, but the benefits they bring to our country still outweigh the negatives.
The question I have, will the benefits outweigh the negatives if Charles is crowned KIng? Personally I would vote for Prince William to be King ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back