Prince Philip died

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Some stuff he said throughout his pretty cool life of luxury (paid for by me (and a few others))

1. "British women can't cook," he told the Scottish Womens' Institute in 1961. .

2. "It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from her school art lessons," he muttered while being shown Ethiopian art in 1965.

3. "I would like to go to Russia very much, although the bastards murdered half my family," at a very heated period of history in 1967.

4. "What do you gargle with? Pebbles?" he told singer Tom Jones at the 1969 Royal Variety Performance. Later he added: "It's difficult to see how itā€™s possible to become immensely valuable by singing what are the most hideous songs."

5. "We donā€™t come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves," he told journalists in Canada in 1976.

6. "You are a woman, aren't you?" he said to a Kenyan woman, who was presenting him with a small gift in 1984.

7. "If you stay here much longer you will all be slitty-eyed," the Prince told British exchange students who lived in Xian in 1986. When asked on his opinion of Beijing, he replied: "Ghastly."

8. "If it has four legs and it is not a chair, if it has two wings and flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." Again with the Chinese insults, when he addressed a World Wildlife Fund meeting in 1986.

9. "I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing," when dismissing claims those who slaughter for meat have greater moral authority than those who partake in blood sports in 1988.

10. "Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease," when asked if he wanted to pet a koala in Australia back in 1992.

11. "You can't have been here that long ā€” you haven't got a pot belly," he told a British tourist during a visit to Budapest in 1993.

12. "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?," he enquired to an islander while in the Cayman Islands in 1994.

13. "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?" he asked a Scottish driving instructor in 1995.

14. "It was part of the fortunes of war. We didn't have counsellors rushing around every time somebody let off a gun, asking 'Are you all right ā€” are you sure you don't have a ghastly problem?' You just got on with it!" when asked about stress counselling for soldiers in 1995.

15. "You managed not to get eaten then?" the Prince asked a British student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea, in 1998.

16. "Where's the Southern Comfort?" he said on receipt of a basket of Southern goods from the U.S. ambassador in London, in 1999.

17. "Deaf? If you're near there, no wonder you are deaf," he told a group of deaf school children, who were nearby a Caribbean steel drum band in 2000.

18. "You could do with losing a little bit of weight," he told 13-year-old Andrew Adams, after hearing he wanted to become an astronaut while visiting a science museum in 2001.

19. "Do you still throw spears at each other?" he asked a group of Indigenous Australians in 2002, while on a visit to Australia with the Queen.

20. "So who's on drugs here?... He looks as if he's on drugs," he said of a 14-year-old boy while at a Bangladeshi youth club in 2002.

21. "You look like you're ready for bed!" he told the President of Nigeria in 2003, who was dressed in traditional robes.

22. "Is it a strip club?" he asked when meeting a female Sea Cadet who told the Prince she worked in a nightclub, in 2009.

23. "That's a nice tie ... Do you have any knickers in that material?" he asked Annabel Goldie, the Scottish Conservative leader, when welcoming Benedict XVI to Edinburgh in 2010.

24. "The Philippines must be half-empty ā€” you're all here running the NHS," he told nurses at Luton and Dunstable Hospital in 2013.

25. "Just take the fuplie-ing picture!" he told a photographer, during a Battle of Britain event in 2015.

@Guyb93 An article dated 18th May 2019 in the Sunday Post (I canā€™t work out how to make/add a link) states that, ā€œThe royals, in fact, brought in Ā£430 million more than they cost us last year...ā€

Some stuff he said throughout his pretty cool life of luxury (paid for by me (and a few others))

1. "British women can't cook," he told the Scottish Womens' Institute in 1961. .

2. "It looks like the kind of thing my daughter would bring back from her school art lessons," he muttered while being shown Ethiopian art in 1965.

3. "I would like to go to Russia very much, although the bastards murdered half my family," at a very heated period of history in 1967.

4. "What do you gargle with? Pebbles?" he told singer Tom Jones at the 1969 Royal Variety Performance. Later he added: "It's difficult to see how itā€™s possible to become immensely valuable by singing what are the most hideous songs."

5. "We donā€™t come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves," he told journalists in Canada in 1976.

6. "You are a woman, aren't you?" he said to a Kenyan woman, who was presenting him with a small gift in 1984.

7. "If you stay here much longer you will all be slitty-eyed," the Prince told British exchange students who lived in Xian in 1986. When asked on his opinion of Beijing, he replied: "Ghastly."

8. "If it has four legs and it is not a chair, if it has two wings and flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." Again with the Chinese insults, when he addressed a World Wildlife Fund meeting in 1986.

9. "I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing," when dismissing claims those who slaughter for meat have greater moral authority than those who partake in blood sports in 1988.

10. "Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease," when asked if he wanted to pet a koala in Australia back in 1992.

11. "You can't have been here that long ā€” you haven't got a pot belly," he told a British tourist during a visit to Budapest in 1993.

12. "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?," he enquired to an islander while in the Cayman Islands in 1994.

13. "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?" he asked a Scottish driving instructor in 1995.

14. "It was part of the fortunes of war. We didn't have counsellors rushing around every time somebody let off a gun, asking 'Are you all right ā€” are you sure you don't have a ghastly problem?' You just got on with it!" when asked about stress counselling for soldiers in 1995.

15. "You managed not to get eaten then?" the Prince asked a British student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea, in 1998.

16. "Where's the Southern Comfort?" he said on receipt of a basket of Southern goods from the U.S. ambassador in London, in 1999.

17. "Deaf? If you're near there, no wonder you are deaf," he told a group of deaf school children, who were nearby a Caribbean steel drum band in 2000.

18. "You could do with losing a little bit of weight," he told 13-year-old Andrew Adams, after hearing he wanted to become an astronaut while visiting a science museum in 2001.

19. "Do you still throw spears at each other?" he asked a group of Indigenous Australians in 2002, while on a visit to Australia with the Queen.

20. "So who's on drugs here?... He looks as if he's on drugs," he said of a 14-year-old boy while at a Bangladeshi youth club in 2002.

21. "You look like you're ready for bed!" he told the President of Nigeria in 2003, who was dressed in traditional robes.

22. "Is it a strip club?" he asked when meeting a female Sea Cadet who told the Prince she worked in a nightclub, in 2009.

23. "That's a nice tie ... Do you have any knickers in that material?" he asked Annabel Goldie, the Scottish Conservative leader, when welcoming Benedict XVI to Edinburgh in 2010.

24. "The Philippines must be half-empty ā€” you're all here running the NHS," he told nurses at Luton and Dunstable Hospital in 2013.

25. "Just take the fuplie-ing picture!" he told a photographer, during a Battle of Britain event in 2015.
WOW, thanks for sharing, lol...

@Guyb93 An article dated 18th May 2019 in the Sunday Post (I canā€™t work out how to make/add a link) states that, ā€œThe royals, in fact, brought in Ā£430 million more than they cost us last year...ā€
Iā€™m not saying there all bad Iā€™m saying there an asset that means nothing anymore other than tradition would I vote to resolve the monarchy. No I wouldnā€™t I think itā€™s a part of being British and Iā€™d pay the taxes that involve keeping them but thatā€™s just cus Iā€™m British and love to say yerrr go England were the best we pride ourselves on something that is meaningless rather than things were actually doing well with , in my opinion the death of captain Tom was more of a loss

I find a lot of these comments really funny, and I suspect that often the recipients did, too. I had heard before that the guy had a very off-color sense of humor and wasn't terribly worried about offending people. Makes me wish he had visited Wyoming. I'd love to hear what kind of jokes he'd have made about us. :lol:

I find a lot of these comments really funny, and I suspect that often the recipients did, too.
Do you know them personally, or the context in which these comments were said then?

Privileged old men don't typically say things like that as a friendly dig to minority groups. It's usually just spiteful or downright intentionally rude. Not an "off-colour" sense of humour but more just blatant bigotry. I'm not sure many people from the affected minority groups would appreciate receiving any of these comments.

Do you know them personally, or the context in which these comments were said then?

Privileged old men don't typically say things like that as a friendly dig to minority groups. It's usually just spiteful or downright intentionally rude. Not an "off-colour" sense of humour but more just blatant bigotry. I'm not sure many people from the affected minority groups would appreciate receiving any of these comments.
Well, no, of course I don't know people involved. (Sorry, was that more of a rhetorical question?) I am assuming context, since none is given with the quotes. If one assumes a friendly context, some of these comments come off as very funny. For example, many southerners I know would be highly amused, and even feel rather flattered, by the "Southern Comfort" comment, if it were said with a smile and a laugh. (Southern Comfort is a popular brand of bourbon) I could see a lot of aussies getting a laugh from the "ghastly disease" comment, if it were said a certain way.

Of course, if one assumes a "spiteful or downright intentionally rude" context, then of course they sound that way, and all of these comments do just sound insulting. You might notice I said "I find a lot of these comments really funny." Not all of them. Some of them sound terrible no matter how they're said. But I find that humor is an extremely subjective thing, especially when no context or non-verbal cues are given.

Anyway...As for the personal character of the late Duke in question, I will humbly defer to others, since I never met the man.

99 years old is old enough. He lived a full pampered luxurious life without ever having to work a day. When I think of all the fun I could have had with all that money....lol...:devil:. But then again I would not have lived 99 years....:angel:

I was just reading the Wikipedia article on him. Kind of an interesting story. Sounds like he served in the British navy from 1939-1952, before he was British royalty, served in the Med and Pacific fleet with some distinction in WWII, and achieved the rank of commander. It also says that, after marrying the princess/queen, he "completed 22,219 solo engagements and 5,493 speeches since 1952." And his marriage to Elizabeth is the longest-lasting royal marriage in British history. So, perhaps he did do a little bit of real work in his life.

The idea of having an actual monarch is so foreign to most Americans, including me. So it's interesting to hear about it from those of you of the British/Commonwealth persuasions.

Iā€™m a Royal fan, and I think this is very sad news, the Queen must be devastated.
I do think the Royal family needs to be trimmed down, but on the whole I believe the number of tourists that travel to the UK from around the world brings in millions of pounds to out economy.
France has more tourists than the U.K. every year. People come to the U.K. primarily because of the language, not a slight chance of seeing the Queen. Iā€™ve lived and worked in London for nigh on 40yrs and seen her twice, once was at a Buck House Garden Party. Thats the same number of US Presidents as Iā€™ve seen.
The poverty within an hours drive from Buck House tells me theyre an outdated concept. I just hope future generations see through them inna way that previous ones havenā€™t.
As has been seen recently on both sides of the Atlantic:Its easier to fool people than convince them theyā€™ve been fooled.

Phil The Greek deserves respect for his war service but not for living a luxurious lifestyle funded by taxpayers of which the majority have less than four months wages as savings.

The same TV programme is on BBC1 & BBC2 right now. BBC4 is closed down at the moment. Madness. Youd almost think that the powers that be are scared the people need prodding in the direction of caring. Itā€™s the 21st year of the 21st century! This country needs to move into it ASAP.

Last edited:
99 years old is old enough. He lived a full pampered luxurious life without ever having to work a day. When I think of all the fun I could have had with all that money....lol...:devil:. But then again I would not have lived 99 years....:angel:
Feller served in WW2.

.......by ā€œtourism, merchandising and the artsā€!
What does that even mean? What sort of idiotic readers does that paper think they have?
Did they ask every single tourist to add up every royal family connected penny they spent during their visit in one column and every other penny of expenditure in another? Does a coffee bought at a Green Park coffee hut on the way to see Buck House go in one column and one bought on the way from Buck House back to the tube station at the same hut go in the other column?

If a tourist intends to see the changing of the guard during their visit to London does ALL of their spending get included? If so then surely if they also intend going to see one of the Tate Galleryā€™s then ALL of their spending money should be gathered up under the arts banner......or a sporting event under the Sports banner......or a band under the rock roll banner?

I for one am not allowing a rag like The Sunday POST to insult my intelligence. I suggest forumers from around the globe do likewise.

I was just reading the Wikipedia article on him. Kind of an interesting story. Sounds like he served in the British navy from 1939-1952, before he was British royalty, served in the Med and Pacific fleet with some distinction in WWII, and achieved the rank of commander. It also says that, after marrying the princess/queen, he "completed 22,219 solo engagements and 5,493 speeches since 1952." And his marriage to Elizabeth is the longest-lasting royal marriage in British history. So, perhaps he did do a little bit of real work in his life.

The idea of having an actual monarch is so foreign to most Americans, including me. So it's interesting to hear about it from those of you of the British/Commonwealth persuasions.
We have royalty here in the States, they are called politicians.

Well, I stand corrected, sounds like the guy served his country and he has my respect for that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back