April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've had my platies around 3-4 weeks now. I believe one of my females was newly pregnant when I purchased her. She is very round now and her stomach is starting to get "boxy" like everyone has said before they give birth. Her stomach has looked like this going on 2 weeks now. She has been very large for at least 3 weeks. I have moved her into a floating breeding box, which she has been in for 2 days now.. and she does NOT like it. (I feel so sorry for her) I know that she isnt a balloon platy so it couldnt be that, it just seems that she should have given birth by now. I know that platies poop excessively, but she seems to be on "poop overload" if that makes sense.. just including that bit of info if that could be any indicator. I have had pregnant platies before and it seemed like it never took them this long to give birth.

Any advice?

Livebearers can hold on to their fry, if they're feel stressed or unhappy.

I'd let her back into the main tank.

I agree I tried a breeding box it just stresses out the fish just make sure you have plants that the fry can hide in and when you do a water change and move the plants you can either get them out into a baby tank or just keep the plants in with a little tunnel underneath. when they get big enough they will be safe. also purchase some fry food

Could the other fish be stressing her out as well?? I've got 6 other platies in the tank, 3 corys. 

I think it's mostly the breeding box. You can usually get most fry out, they always go the the surface after 1/2-1 hour after they are born. You can usually just scoop them out with a net and place then right into the breeding box.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back