Pregnant Mollie Being Chased

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xt3r3s4x

Reaction score
Hi, got a pregnant mollie & today the male won't leave her alone, he keeps chasing her round the tank, i really don't want her to get stressed out. I don't have another tank to seperate her. Any help suggestions would be very much appreciated. :sad:

Do you just have a male & female? the male will constantly try to mate with a female,

Are there any hiding places in your tank where the molly can keep away from him?

How big is the tank?

Do you just have a male & female? the male will constantly try to mate with a female,

Are there any hiding places in your tank where the molly can keep away from him?

How big is the tank?
Hi, thanks for the reply. Tank 3ft, plenty hiding places but he just keeps finding her & chasing her again, i have 2 female & the male, i don't think she is far now from dropping fry? I don't know what to do for the best, i do have a breeding net & trap but really don't want to put her in this just yet :unsure:

He will stay right with her until she drops fry. A recently delivered female is a male's best chance to pass along his genes. Gene transfer is what drives most males to mate.

He will stay right with her until she drops fry. A recently delivered female is a male's best chance to pass along his genes. Gene transfer is what drives most males to mate.
Thankyou so much for the info :good:

Dont worry too much the same thing happened to me, but he stopped following her once he realised she wasnt "interested" anymore. Now she just hangs around the filter while he just wanders around. No biggie :)

Thanks all for the advice :good: she since gave birth to roughly 40-45 healthy fry & all doing well :hey:

i want to ask something.
i was reading somewhere,don't remember where, but read that males that follows and try to fertile them actually help molly to drop the fry?

just a heard one !

I have no idea if a male chasing a female helps her in any way. It seems unlikely but, as far as I know, it has never been studied.

My male is doing that too... my sailfin molly is always by my pregger molly's side. He doesn't bother her, just hovers.

I don't think the male chasing her or being around her helps her drop fry... cause plenty of female mollies have their fry in separate tanks, in breeder traps, or of you buy her pregnant from the store when there is no male around to help her...

Huh!!! How so? & as i understand it they are chasing bc- right b4 female gives birth she lets off pheromones tht attract other fish & im inclined to believe that more bc just tonight my molly, who is very prego, very square, was suddenly being chased by many fish, in a HARASSING way..not a MATING way & most of her attackers were actually PLATY Fish! Which cannot mate with a molly or shown ny prior interest in female mollies or even my female platys in fact..i believe theyre too young to reproduce yet..the male platys, tht is! Theories are tht bc of the horomones, they kno babies r coming & want to eat them or a couple others..like.. idk, mayb they just get crazy from the hormones & pheromones! U kno how males are! Lol. Ive only just begun to research it tonight but i kno wht i just saw happen..outta absolutely nowhere! Theyve never bothered her b4..i DO Believe most if not all the harrassers were male..which would fit the crazy with pheromones therory..I removed her to another tank as i kno her well, shes no pushover but she was obviously stressed & upset plus i believe she is, indeed goin to giv birth tonight or very soon after..if the commotion & move to different tank doesn't spook her into holding thm!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back