Pregnant Livebearers r EASY. Wot about others?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

UM3R

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, u can tell easily if a livebearer is gonna pop.. (well, at least I can) but what about egg-laying ladies? How can u tell?

the ones i have at the mo are:

Neons
Black Widows
Color Widows
Tetra

I dont mind buying new ones as I dont have enough in the big one anyway..

Any suggestions? Which ones shall I buy which are easier to spot and will give me lots of babies...
:unsure: Well, i mean FRYS... :unsure:

You can see what I have in my tank below

UM3R said:
Well, u can tell easily if a livebearer is gonna pop.. (well, at least I can) but what about egg-laying ladies? How can u tell?

the ones i have at the mo are:

Neons
Black Widows
Color Widows
Tetra

I dont mind buying new ones as I dont have enough in the big one anyway..

Any suggestions? Which ones shall I buy which are easier to spot and will give me lots of babies...
:unsure: Well, i mean FRYS... :unsure:

You can see what I have in my tank below
sorry, i don't know much about those fish. but about the neons, i've never seen a male before, have you?

Neon tetras?I dont think you can.Now,going back to your question an egg-laying fish....Lets see you say you have a 90 gall like me.Uhmm.....How about cichlids,like the angel fish from south America?there're many varieties and everyday they come out with different colors.You cannot tell their gender until they start spawing and they pair up for life.They could and are aggresive in small cofinments but in a 90gall they be ok to the other fish.Should read about them,they are beautiful fish and in a tank the size of yours,they reach their max size which is very impressive.

Are these ok with the type of fish I have? see my siggy.

and 90 gall tank?? I wish.. no space in the dinning room :(

I can afford it.. but have no space.. :( Only got a 48X12X15 30 gallon (US) tank and a small 18X12X12 breeding tank.

What else can i put into my community tank? I wanna have lots of babies.. and fast.. dont mind efflaying or livebearers.. But i think I have all the types of livebearers.. except mollies which im buying 2morow :D

any suggestions?

Sorry.Thoght you have a 90.Be careful with some of the mollies,they can be aggresive and territorial at times.When making a decision study the mollies very careful,if you see them fighting for a specific space in the tank or chasing others,stay away from them,get a diff, variety or pick more peaceful ones.Territorial mollies tend to chase others and even bite.
At your lfs they all tell you they are really nice but ,some may and are very aggresive

They all seem to get along apart from my male swordtail.. dirty little devil.. although he has 3 females to b*ng.. thats not enough for him.. He keeps harrasing for more.. Getting on me nerves... all females getting stressed out for nothing... and they are all pregnant.

Chasing them like mad.. Like see the one which stays hidden.. he'll even find her at times and run after her.... i dunno wot he does when he catches up as he never has..he's usually chasing one when other just passes by and he will leave the one he was chasing and chase the passing by fish instead...

UM3R said:
They all seem to get along apart from my male swordtail.. dirty little devil.. although he has 3 females to b*ng.. thats not enough for him.. He keeps harrasing for more.. Getting on me nerves... all females getting stressed out for nothing... and they are all pregnant.
you could seperate the males and females for a few days so the females could be less stressful and makes the pregnatcy faster and easier.

The thing is. I havent tested the water in my 18X12X12 yet. I put in half new day before yesterday and half from the bigger tank yesterday with gravel from bigger tank as well. I have ad the heater running for just over 24hrs as well as the filter..

do u think the tank is now ready for some fish??

Shall i seperate all the females from males???

3 swordtails and 2 guppies or shall i go one kind at a time??

UM3R said:
The thing is. I havent tested the water in my 18X12X12 yet. I put in half new day before yesterday and half from the bigger tank yesterday with gravel from bigger tank as well. I have ad the heater running for just over 24hrs as well as the filter..

do u think the tank is now ready for some fish??

Shall i seperate all the females from males???

3 swordtails and 2 guppies or shall i go one kind at a time??
usually you should leave it for or 48 hrs and then it's fine. separate the males from the females cause the males are more aggressive.

Just done it.... PHEW!!! Its mission impossible getting the guppies into a PINT GLASS.

I used a glass to transfer rather than net. Took ages but now its done.

I now have 2 female guppies and 2 female swordtails in the small tank.

One swordtail (by the looks of things) will go very soon.. Next couple of days.. rest.. fingers crossed.

The tank is reasonable sized so is it cool to have all the females here for like a week? cos it may take a week... they wont die would they? cos they have been moved about a lot.. LFS to my big tank.. from Big tank to the small one, etc..

they keep changing their habitat.. which has to have some affect i would say..

so.. what shall i do? apart from being patient. -_-

UM3R said:
Just done it.... PHEW!!! Its mission impossible getting the guppies into a PINT GLASS.

I used a glass to transfer rather than net. Took ages but now its done.

I now have 2 female guppies and 2 female swordtails in the small tank.

One swordtail (by the looks of things) will go very soon.. Next couple of days.. rest.. fingers crossed.

The tank is reasonable sized so is it cool to have all the females here for like a week? cos it may take a week... they wont die would they? cos they have been moved about a lot.. LFS to my big tank.. from Big tank to the small one, etc..

they keep changing their habitat.. which has to have some affect i would say..

so.. what shall i do? apart from being patient. -_-
i move my fish all the time. some times i think you're gonna drop but they're not so i transfer them back and forth. just be gental. they should be ok within a week. as long as the filter is on with the heater then they should be ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back