Preg. Female Molly Agressive towards Male

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

WjHolmes

Reaction score
We just recently lost a female molly due to who knows what. No other issues in the tank, she just never grew then started acting completely strange and died.
So we bought a Dalmatian lyre tail for our very large and "needy" black molly so he could have 3 females again. Mind you, he and the regular Dalmatian female were the first in the tank when we started out 60 gallon on black Friday.
Now the regular heavily pregnant silver female we call Blanca (who was added a month after when we realized Cookies (the male) was a male) has been chasing and biting Cookies since we got our lyre tail! He has little lesions on him into his slime coat and is hiding more than usual but comes out when I come to the tank.
If I didn't see her biting him I'd just treat with some pimafix but it is obviously from her.
Tank parameters are good. Just did a 40% water change after treating some fin rot in my school of 6 neon tetras.
We had a lot of algae as out pleco is getting too big for the small spaces, so we got a couple Asian algae eaters.
I have been feeding frozen brine shrimp thawed then put half a cube in the tank, and then with a little bit of omega 3 colour flakes or algea disks (because mollys eat everything) when I feed twice a day and the food is gone within 2-3 minutes. Sometimes I feed just flake depending on my day
The only thing that changed in the tank was adding the female lyre tail.
Help! Cookies is super social and I don't want to loose him

are you sure the new one is a female and not a young male?

The only reason a female molly would chase a male is to get rid of it because she didn't want to breed, or was in labour. A young male will chase and fight with other males to establish a territory.

can you post a pic of the fish?

are you sure the new one is a female and not a young male?

The only reason a female molly would chase a male is to get rid of it because she didn't want to breed, or was in labour. A young male will chase and fight with other males to establish a territory.

can you post a pic of the fish?

So the female is in question is one we have had for a while. And she was for sure pregnant, but has given birth. We have many young fry in the tank now and she isn't bullying any more. Must have been those labour hormones. Although due to the stress our male seemed to contract a fungal infection and is being treated.

the white fluffy fungus generally affects damaged tissue and open wounds so if the male was injured then fungus and bacteria can get into the wound.

the white fluffy fungus generally affects damaged tissue and open wounds so if the male was injured then fungus and bacteria can get into the wound.
That totally makes sense. Did a 25% water change today and finished treating my pleco for Ich and 4 days into Pimafix treatment as well for Cookies. He is acting is usual self so I am not super worried about him now. And of course he is trying to breed with that female, and they are getting along well

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back