Prefered DIY lids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OnlyGenusCaps

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm hoping to know what people who use DIY lids prefer to use. I'm setting up my first rack of tanks. I have the rack set up, have the tanks drilled for auto-water changes, and just need to get a decent lid. Where the rack is going will have very dry air in the winter and I want to prevent too much evaporation as they'll be hard water tanks, so I want it to cover the full top.

I'd thought about going with glass from a shop, but then I can't get the two tubes in that I'll need of it spans the tank. Acrylic warps in those situations (learned that the hard way). Polycarbonate is harder to come by, but might be good as I've used it in similar sizes without issues. I know on the monster tanks people use the corrugated polycarbonate for greenhouses, but on these tanks it will make big gaps from the support flange for the lid over the top of the tank.

Who uses their own lids? What do you like? Thanks for the input, folks!

What kind of tanks are you using? My tanks are old school Aqueon frame tank so buying glass lid is a no brainer decision, they cost me ~$45. Are you using frameless tanks?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Glass lids are more durable/secure, but acrylic lids are cheap and easy.

What kind of tanks are you using? My tanks are old school Aqueon frame tank so buying glass lid is a no brainer decision, they cost me ~$45. Are you using frameless tanks?
Nope, I'm using Aqueon 20H right now, but I've got plans for some custom "50gal low boy" clones too. The issue with the commercial lids is that I have my tanks running deep into the shelf. So, I'll need to make something that opens from one end. If that makes sense.
For my planned Aqueon 75 gallon Mbuna tank, I plan on making a slim hood using PVC Trim/Sheet from Home Depot. The big issue here, can the LED light mounted inside the hood be exposed to the water?

Mark
They make submersible LED lights that you could affix under the hood. I think even NICREW has one now, but reefers have all sorts of submersible LED lights for their refugiums.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They make submersible LED lights that you could affix under the hood. I think even NICREW has one now, but reefers have all sorts of submersible LED lights for their refugiums.
If it’s glass/acrylic, the light can just go through it. No need to have a submersible light...

Nope, I'm using Aqueon 20H right now, but I've got plans for some custom "50gal low boy" clones too. The issue with the commercial lids is that I have my tanks running deep into the shelf. So, I'll need to make something that opens from one end. If that makes sense.

You mean open from the side? The Aqueon Versa Top 24" X 12" Hinged Glass Aquarium Top has a hinged lid in front, cost $17. You can remove the hinge if needed. Note: PetCo has a deal, order $50 of stuff online and pickup at store, you get 25% off. So this lid cost $12.50 if you have $50 of stuff to buy.
No reefer equipment for me, that stuff is expensive. I forgot about our COB light discussion, a water resistant COB light is what I need. With a hood, only the aquarium is illuminated. I prefer this over the lights above the tank. However I do not want the old school hoods such as:

aquarium hood.jpg

That why I am thinking about using PVC sheets, it can be very slim and close to the water. Paint it black to match the tank.

I make my own lids out of replacement lens sheets for recessed troffers. I get to cut them to size and customize the openings for my filters, then use plastic living hinges (I do have rimless aquariums, though). In some cases I have two panels that can be opened independently so I can slide the light over the one that remains closed.

You mean open from the side? The Aqueon Versa Top 24" X 12" Hinged Glass Aquarium Top has a hinged lid in front, cost $17. You can remove the hinge if needed. Note: PetCo has a deal, order $50 of stuff online and pickup at store, you get 25% off. So this lid cost $12.50 if you have $50 of stuff to buy.
Nope. I need it to open from the short end not the long side.
No reefer equipment for me, that stuff is expensive. I forgot about our COB light discussion, a water resistant COB light is what I need.
You get a large, clear, plastic lens/semi-circle shell over the COB, and have that be part of the lid. Then you just have to place the COB with the heat sink over the clear lens to light the tank. No chance of water issues then.
That why I am thinking about using PVC sheets, it can be very slim and close to the water. Paint it black to match the tank.
The only PVC panels I've ever worked with were really think. Like 3/4". Those were heavy and unwieldy. I do like the idea of an opaque lid with transparent panels for the lights. I tend to cover the area of my tops not directly below the lights to reduce the reflection from the lids, so I'm on board with the visuals you are talking about. Too late to change the situation for my big tank order, but it's something to think about for the future, for sure.
I make my own lids out of replacement lens sheets for recessed troffers. I get to cut them to size and customize the openings for my filters, then use plastic living hinges (I do have rimless aquariums, though). In some cases I have two panels that can be opened independently so I can slide the light over the one that remains closed.
That might just be it! I have to hit "big box hardware store" tomorrow for some plumbing bits. I think I'll check out their lighting panels while there. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back